• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Honestly, how often have you used gnomes?

Abstraction

First Post
In my homebrew, the River Gnomes were the most adept at sailing large vessels. There eternal enemies were the Minotaur longboats. Looks like in 4E, the halflings will be the sailors.

Cabled

First Post
I have one player that latched onto the gnome some 20 years ago when we moved from B/X D&D to AD&D, and has played them exclusively ever since. He appears to be alone in the world :)

AWizardInDallas

First Post
I disagree with the choice for several reasons. Your statement that they have no place in the fantasy world is subjective so there is no real point in my saying that you're right or wrong. It's right for you and wrong for me.

I played a gnome illusionist named Jandowyn Farrowfox many years ago in 1E campaign. Jandowyn was my first ever gnome character. He was playful and spry and great deal of fun. Yes, he was stereotypical in many ways as he was a trickster who loved to collect gems to the exclusion of buying drinks with them. I've since gone on to game mastering and have on several occasions represented gnomish societies in need of help or having something the party needs. It's been too long to remember each occasion.

Also, I'm currently running two campaigns in which gnomes play significant parts. The party in my Valley of Obelisks campaign needed a cleric and none of players were keen on playing one. I have been playing an NPC cleric of Heironeous named Jalis. He is unusual in that he was an orphan and raised by a human cleric of Heironeous. Yes, one could argue that he's not a "real" gnome because of his background, however he still exhibits many of the traits of his race and certainly still has all the gnome's game abilities.

Further, I'm running a second campaign that started with the Sunless Citadel adventure and has blossomed. The adventure features a goblin prisoner, a gnome fighter/cleric named Erky Timbers, which I also NPC. The party has taken him in and they treat him like one of the family. The players are very fond and protective of him and even talked him out of leaving the party. As a matter of fact my son's ranger was killed and he decided to try his hand at not only playing a gnome, but at playing Erky's brother, Milo.

So, once again, the decision to cut gnomes is wrong for me on several levels. Yes, there's some nostalgia connected with my gnome illusionist. There is also the fact that my son has chosen to play one which is a common experience we'll get to share. But Wizards is ultimately making decisions for me that I don't want made and that I cannot abide. This is simply one more item on the list of deal breakers for me. I'll stick with 3.5.

You can find the Campaign Journals on my site: AWizardInDallas.com

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Honestly? Only once, and it was back in 1988...so they were really just bling-obsessed dwarves.

I have never used them as a monster or NPC since. And never once in all of my years of gaming, has a player ever chosen to play one.

I'm not passing judgement on the gnome; just stating the facts.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm playing a gnome illusionist/bard/gnome paragon. Our current adventure is trying to stop a gnome illusionist from disrupting a wedding between two noble houses.

There are two players playing gnomes (cleric/rogue and rogue, respectively) in my Midwood campaign. A solo adventure going on right now has one of them trying to solve a murder in a gnomish enclave where nothing is as it seems.

Yeah, I use gnomes non-stop, pretty much.

Ask me how many elves, half-elves, halflings and half-orcs are in the campaign I'm running.

Maleketh

First Post
I've played several gnome PCs over the years; they're easily my favorite 3E core race. Ah, the joys of a gnomish ranger...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads