• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fun with Multiclassing

pawsplay

Hero
Obviously, there is a lack of firm data here; I have no idea what this would really look like. But some class + combinations, for fun.

Gandalf: Wizard, Pact Initiate
Aragorn: Ranger, Soldier of the Faith
Robin Hood: Ranger, Student of Battle
Elric: Fighter, Pact Initiate, Novice, Acolyte, and Adept
Drizzt: Ranger, Sneak of Shadows
Paksenarrion: Paladin, Student of the Sword (eventually retrains this)
Arthur: Warlord, Soldier of the Faith
Grey Mouser: Rogue, Pact Initiate
Fafhrd: Rogue, Student of the Sword
Conan: Fighter, Sneak of Shadows

Mort

Legend
Supporter
pawsplay said:
Conan: Fighter, Sneak of Shadows

Guess you're working with what we have since Barbarian won't be out until the next book.

Conan is actually one of those characters that works perfectly with the 3.5 system because he was a barbarian 1st then received formal millitary (fighter) training and supplemented his income as a rogue - showing full use of a good rogue skill set in the various stories. Guess we'll have to see if 4e can approach this kind of flexibility (though as often noted, the 3e/3.5e system worked great as long as spellcasting classes were not included and this is one of those cases).

Rechan

Adventurer
Mort said:
Guess you're working with what we have since Barbarian won't be out until the next book.

Conan is actually one of those characters that works perfectly with the 3.5 system because he was a barbarian 1st then received formal millitary (fighter) training and supplemented his income as a rogue - showing full use of a good rogue skill set in the various stories. Guess we'll have to see if 4e can approach this kind of flexibility (though as often noted, the 3e/3.5e system worked great as long as spellcasting classes were not included and this is one of those cases).
Might also work for retraining in 4e.

pawsplay

Hero
Mort said:

Actually, Conan will probably not work ideally as a 4e Barbarian unless they change some of their initial design work.

He worked great under 3e; someone's book-by-book statting of Conan was one of the things that led me to buy 3rd edition.

JohnSnow

Hero
Jim DelRosso said:
Neat. :)

Though I'm seeing Mouser as rogue (Arcane Initiate) and Fafhrd as fighter (Sneak of Shadows or Warrior of the Wild).

Agree with you on Mouser. As a matter of fact, he's the quintessential rogue with Arcane Initiate. Of course, he's also spent feats to become proficient with the rapier and learn to fight with two weapons. Personally, I believe Fafhrd works best as a fighter with Warrior of the Wild to represent his survival training and his skill with the bow. He's clearly also trained in Stealth (and maybe thievery as well). On the other hand, I could make a pretty good case for him as a ranger with the toughness feat and either Student of the Sword or Student of Battle...

Interestingly, assuming the general feats are broad enough, it seems to me that most of the "multiclass" characters from fiction can be modeled perfectly well without even touching on the multiclass feats. Conan, for example:

Ranger (or fighter) with Toughness, cross training in the other class, and trained in the classic "rogue" skills, like Thievery, Stealth, Streetwise, and so forth.

Rechan

Adventurer
Fun Multi-classing time!

I think there's some definite benefit for multi-classing within your role. This is a good illustration: Warlock with some rogue:
oberixie said:
stealth eyebite sneak attack misty step feystep curse backstabber feat more then likely a way to make eldrich blast usable for sneak attack sounds like a very good assassin to me.

I could see the same trick via Warlock or Rogue tapped with ranger: you slap Hunter's Quarry onto someone you've all ready cursed, or have combat advantage over, and mm, more damage dice.

Just as juicy, the Fighter with a paladin's Divine Challenge; A normal a paladin can only use the divine challenge on one enemy at a time, so a 1/encounter Divine Challenge isn't too bad. A fighter has his regular marks, but the Divine Challenge is a little extra whammy.

pawsplay

Hero
Jim DelRosso said:
Neat. :)

Though I'm seeing Mouser as rogue (Arcane Initiate) and Fafhrd as fighter (Sneak of Shadows or Warrior of the Wild).

I went with Pact Initiate because I remember him calling up spirits of ill will, and most of the magic he does is in the nature of subtle curses or illusion. It could go the other way once we see the complete power lists. Granted, wizards in D&D in general have less connection to spirits than in many works of fiction, but I was trying to capture the flavor of his magical knowledge.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Shea Ohmsford - commoner
Flick Ohmsford - commoner
Menion Leah - ranger
Allanon - Fey-Pact Warlock
Balinor Buckhannah - Fighter
Hendel - Fighter
Panamon Creel - Rogue, m/c with Fighter
Brona a.k.a. the Warlock Lord - Warlock (obviously), with Wraith Template

Vanyel Ashkevron - Gestalt Wizard-Psionicist m/c with Paladin, Gestalt Herald Lord of Valdemar-High Adept of the Tayledras Paragon Paths, Eternal Guardian Epic Destiny (For those who haven't read the books, yes it's as munchkin and broken as it sounds, but there actually was a good thematic reason why, he paid the price for it, and 31st Level Immortal Wizard that was his enemy still gave him a run for his money).

Pug - Wizard (Archmage Epic Destiny)
Tomas - Fighter (Valeheru Template; Dragon Highlord Epic Destiny)
Martin - Ranger
Arutha - Rogue m/c Warlord (Rogue because of the fighting style, not Thievery)
Jimmy the Hand - Rogue
Kulgan - Wizard

Remove ads