BattleMaps and D&D Insider

Nebulous

Legend
So, i've bought KotS and really like it, and this morning i got the itch to make some maps for it. The middle sections, where we just have the blueprint. So, using trusty old photoshop and a scanner, i've been converting them into tiles, about 6 per map. They come out looking something like this:

A2.jpg

But here's my question: this is time consuming, and it takes a little know-how and the right tools to do it. I would LOVE if Wizards made these tiles available for download on their site. It seems like the perfect thing to bundle with D&D Insider. Does anyone know if they plan to do this? Having hi-res printable maps would be a great addition to their service.

Nebulous

Legend
Heselbine said:
It would be great, wouldn't it? Maybe this would be content available to subscribers rather than just the free access?

Yes, i agree that it should be subscribed content only, not free. Realistically, every single map in Dungeon magazine could be downloadable and printable, as a supplement to the shiny big sheets. Maybe there's a hidden reason why they don't or can't make this option available?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Nebulous said:
Yes, i agree that it should be subscribed content only, not free. Realistically, every single map in Dungeon magazine could be downloadable and printable, as a supplement to the shiny big sheets. Maybe there's a hidden reason why they don't or can't make this option available?
They hate us?

;)

Seriously, I'd LOVE if WOTC would post full scale maps (or tiles) on the site. It's one way to be sure they get my money.

Nebulous

Legend
Ashrem Bayle said:
They hate us?

;)

Seriously, I'd LOVE if WOTC would post full scale maps (or tiles) on the site. It's one way to be sure they get my money.

Nah, they don't hate us. We're the ones that pay for all their Lamborghini's! ;)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I've been working on my own re-mapping this last week. I don't do tiles. I have a projector setup that I'll be using this for.

What do you think? This is an unfinished bit of Area 5.

Attachments

• Area 5 -Partial.jpg
    Area 5 -Partial.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 638

Nebulous

Legend
A projector setup is certainly ideal, but cost prohibitive to most people. Maybe one of these days i'll do that. It makes it a snap to "blackout" areas you don't want the PC's to see.

Nebulous

Legend
Just curious, Ashrem: How much time are you investing in the maps? Scanning one, manipulating the original to erase marks, resizing and printing takes me about an hour per encounter map. Maybe a little less.

Remove ads