What ever happened to the artist who did Wormy?

BigBastard

First Post
A friend of mine claims that the artist Dave Trampier who created Wormy went insane and became homeless. Is there any truth to this? I asked this on RPG.NET and some posters posted a link to a news article about a cab driver with the name Dave Trampier would this be the same person or does he just share the same name?:confused:

Black Omega

First Post
Here's a tiny bit more information.

Our Ongoing Investigation Into the Disappearance of David Trampier

Sadly, there's still no sign of him and nothing but rumor about what might have happened.

On the other hand, WotC's DnD Faq lists this.

Wormy, by Dave Trampier, ran concurrently with What's New? and SnarfQuest. Its run ended suddenly in the middle of a story, and this has been the center of no small amount of confusion and consternation on the part of its fans. However, Dave Trampier is still alive and well. He does not currently work in gaming or comics, however.

Very curious indeed. I presume the missed paycheck issue has been addressed.;) It does raise the question why is he letting Wormy pass into public domain, though.

Last edited:

BigBastard

First Post
Maybe someone should ask the people who wrote the article if they could check into the story? They may find the story of a popular artist turning his back on his art and fans more compelling?;)

shadow

First Post
Interview.

Is this the same Dave Trampier that did Wormy? Does this mean that the famous Wormy artist now drives a cab around Carbondale, the town where I attend college at!? I've been to school at SIU Carbondale for some time and never realized there was a minor celebrety in my midst! What a humbling experience!

Black Omega

First Post
BOZ said:

so, is that actually him, or just some guy with the same name?
Inconclusive. The only thing we know for sure is that he has the same name as the guy who created Wormy. I've not seen anthing yet that says he's 'the' Dave Trampier.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The essay by the Yamara author makes a very good point: Trampier was D&D's first, and perhaps only true, graphic novel artist. If a compilation of his stuff came out, I'd be first in line to buy it. The storylines were meandering, true, and too much time was spent on the ogres and goblins - I mean, if you ever get a look at his winged black panther, or that wizard with one heck of a sense of style, you'll wonder why he spent so much time on the other stuff. At his best, Trampier was, indeed, a genius, for my money the first one to do D&D art. I love the work of Erol Otus and many of the other early D&D artists, but Trampier was in a league of his own. His spot illos in the 1e Monster Manual, and some few early modules, are real gems.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Last time I saw that link posted, it was with the mention that "TSR employees from the time had confirmed that the man in the picture was Dave Trampier"... Don't know where or when they confirmed it, so take it with a grain of salt.

In a later Yamara article -- http://www.yamara.com/yamara/rfw/rfw2.3.html -- they seem convinced that he's alive.

http://www.genevaonline.com/~tomwham/gangster.html ... His brother-in-law, Tom Wham, claims they last communicated in 1982, but believes he is still alive, and specifies Illinois... This fits with the interview, but then that may have been his source.

At http://www.yamara.com/yamara/rfw/rfw2/rfw2pg3.html#lettres there's a letter which, if legitimate, gives some possible insight into Trampier's "disappearance."

In short, it looks like he got sick and tired of dealing with publishers, and decided to start over at something different... Looks like it turned out to be driving a cab, and it looks like he enjoys it.

grodog

Hero
If you're interested, there has been discussion about Tramp in the favorite 1e artists thread (somewhere in the past 10 days or so, I imagine).

Various ex-TSR folks including Rob Kuntz have positively ID'd the guy in the picture as THE Trampier.

Remove ads