• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What ever happened to the artist who did Wormy?

Balrog

First Post
On a side note, I sent Mr.Trampier money for a Wormy graphic novel that was in the works in the mid-80s.

Much to my disappointment, a month or so later I got a letter from him (with my money back) saying he was having problems getting the project off the ground and thanking me for my interest in it. IIRC, that might have been around the end of Wormy's run.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Guilt Puppy said:
Last time I saw that link posted, it was with the mention that "TSR employees from the time had confirmed that the man in the picture was Dave Trampier"... Don't know where or when they confirmed it, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've confirmed it personally with an ex-TSR employee, as well.

grodog

Hero
Not anything recent BOZ. If you hear anything, drop me a note, please: I'd love to put him to work illustrating d20 books :D

Stormrunner

Explorer
Balrog said:
On a side note, I sent Mr.Trampier money for a Wormy graphic novel that was in the works in the mid-80s.

Much to my disappointment, a month or so later I got a letter from him (with my money back) saying he was having problems getting the project off the ground and thanking me for my interest in it. IIRC, that might have been around the end of Wormy's run.

Yep, me too. I've still got the button and the little certificate someplace.

I think that this was the source of the whole shebang. (Since I don't know Mr. Trampier personally, and am having to guess at most of this, take it with a big whopping handful of salt...)

It's obvious that Trampier was attempting to produce the graphic novel/collection entirely on his own, with no connection to TSR (hence his need to solicit money directly from potential customers). While this is fairly common today, it was less so (and a lot less easy) back then.

Most freelance artists in the 80's (and for that matter, today) got published under "work-for-hire" contracts, which are VERY restrictive. In particular, they tend to transfer all rights in perpetuity. If this was the case for Trampier, then by selling the Wormy strips to Dragon, he was giving up ALL ownership of them forever - so he couldn't put together his own collection of his own work, because legally it was no longer "his", it was TSR's. If TSR decided to put out a Wormy collection, or make a Wormy TV show, or do anything else with the strip and the characters, Trampier would have no input and would receive no additional money, unless TSR decided to be generous. If, like many artists, he didn't read or fully understand the fine print, this may have been a surprise. It can be quite a shock to an artist to find that the work he poured his heart and soul into no longer belongs to him in any way. This would explain not wanting to have anything to do with publishers anymore.

Mind you, I think that "My work will never see the light of day again" is a bit extreme, but not knowing all the details, I really don't have the right to be judgemental. I do miss Wormy, and am saddened that Trampier seems to have given up on comics altogether. If that's so, the world has lost a great artist.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Maybe he stumbled upon a Chick tract and got convinced that gaming is Teh Devol!!!1! And comicz tooo!!! OMFGWTFLOL!!!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
grodog said:
Not anything recent BOZ. If you hear anything, drop me a note, please: I'd love to put him to work illustrating d20 books :D

I believe at least one other company has approached him and has been rebuffed. As far as I know, he really has no interest in being involved in the industry.

diaglo

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
I believe at least one other company has approached him and has been rebuffed. As far as I know, he really has no interest in being involved in the industry.

iirc, he was tom wham's brother in law. maybe there is a blurb on tom's site. www.tomwham.com

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Gez said:
Maybe he stumbled upon a Chick tract and got convinced that gaming is Teh Devol!!!1! And comicz tooo!!! OMFGWTFLOL!!!

heheh, completely off-topic, but did you hear that the chick-cthulhu track got pulled off the internet for copyright reasons. ;)

CarlZog

Explorer
Sounds likes it's pretty well confirmed. Comic artist to cab driver, eh? Wow.

Well, whatever works for him... Although, I can't help thinking there must a seriously sad, untold side this story.

zog

Remove ads