Erekose13 - Pailoelan (Pai) Frosttongue - Male Quickling Faen Magister 3
Cannibal Kender - Soen Kingmoon - Male Spryte Champion of Magic 3
SeanWeasley - Arkas the Astounding - Male Loresong Akashic 1 / Magister 2
deadradish - Matzerath - Mojh Akashic 2 / Unfettered 1
Clonz - Urgo'Nangoroth - Mohj Runethane 1 / Akashic 2

Inactive Players and Characters
Tychus - Lo-Duran, Male Giant Akashic 3
FaenFriend (formerly Agracahn)
Dougal DeKree (formerly Arakas the Astounding)
mpickett81 (formerly Matzerath)
Steve Gorak (formerly Urgo'Nangoroth)
GoodKingJayIII (formerly Eryic Darumen)

Rouge's Gallery
Out of Character thread

While writing, thoughts are in italics, actions are in *asterisks,* and speech is in "quotes." Colors for such things are optional, but if used must be light enough for me to see (and not bright enough to cause me to burn out my retinas). I will also employ the use of spoiler tags, like this (highlight the following text),
spoiler text example
. I'll use this to use certain languages (putting a tag that only those that know certain languages can highlight it) or to put up information only certain PC should know (at that point in time, when the PC tells everyone, then they can highlight the text if the PC says that's ok).

I will do all the die rolling. If you have any special circumstantial modifiers to add to your checks, AC, saves, attacks or what have you, just make a note of it at the bottom of your post.

Questions or other out of character items go at the end of the post like so:

[OOC: I'm casting charm, which should give me a +35 on my Diplomacy check I want to make to calm the chorrim down.]

I'd also like everyone to put their character name, race, and class(es) in the title of their posts so everyone remember who everyone is. Turning off your sigs would be nice too. I don't mind people going back and editing, as long as it's for something like correcting a misspelling, correcting an action you know to be blatently wrong (you targeted a person you didn't realize was already down), or there's be a large miscommunication or misunderstanding between the DM and a player in regards to interaction. (So if I write something way too confusing, I'm not going to yell at you for correcting an action that I may have missinterpreted.)

And now, on to the story:

~~~~~~~~~~

Navael is a city known as an artist's haven. Inhabited primarily by faen, the city is, in places, done to a minature scale. Buildings are both pleasing to the eye and well as to the touch (in their interesting textures) and the ear (from the way wind blow through them to windchimes and bells). Plants grow in great profusion, not just from parks but in oversized windowboxes and rooftops gardens. Open gallerys can be found all over the city, displaying paintings and sculptures. Fantastic gardens are found all over, in addition to hothouses for more exotic plants. Theaters and dance halls play at all hours of the day.

It is in this place where one may find any teacher in any artist's craft. Some crafts are even more fantastic than usual, including the craft of magic, witchery, runes, and memory. The magical "performances" and "gallerys" are well regarded, and attended by many seeking inspiration for their next piece.

A great many festivals of the arts are held here, and the next one coming up is the fourth week of Seventhmonth, only a week away. It's called Sky's Favor, and is a highly competitive contest of all types of arts, all according to a theme chosen by Ui-Narath, the Steward. This year's theme is Earth and Fire's Passion, one that should have promised a great deal of creativity from the city's artists. The prizes in this contest are substantial, including the use of one of the best gallery in the city for a year, several uses of the largest amphitheaters, large amounts of gold, and the incredible prestige of winning.

However, the usual buzz for this kind of festival has been subdued as of late. Several of the greatest artists of the city have only been seen infrequently, and there's not even been a tiny hint as to what they're working on. As most of them can't resist bragging, this development is disturbing to say the least. Some rumors even claim that many of them aren't even going to participate this year, surely preposterous, but alarming all the same.

What concerns many of the weather witches however, are disturbing dreams of a terrible storm hitting the city during the festival. Wind, sea, and winter witches have been having bad dreams for weeks, as has anyone who is strongly connected to wind, sea, or weather. Such things taken all together seem to point toward something terrible happening on the day of the festival.

Eryic, you have been having the bad dreams. They're terribly unspecific, only visions of a terrible storm of thunder, lightning, even a tornado seeming to barrel down on the town during the festival. But as to when, or why it's happening, you're uncertain. Your only clue is that they've been getting worse as time goes on.

It is now early on Dawnday, the first day of the third week of Seventhmonth. Where are you and what are you doing now? You've all been here for at least a week, some longer. Why are you here?

Last edited:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Eryic Darumen, male human, wind witch 3

Having spent two months in the wilderness, eating nothing but berries, plants, and what little game he cold successfully hunt, Eryic has found himself back within the confines of civilization, in the form of Navael. Having found a quiet hole in the wall in the Black Lady, Eryic has been quietly resting, spending only as much gold as necessary.

Waking with a start from another of the tempestuous dreams, Eryic lay in bed quietly for a few moments, rubbing his now smooth face (having had a thick forest of a beard for quite a while, he found himself still unused to having a clean-shaven face). Climbing out of bed, he pulled on his simple grey robes and tied them quickly with his sash.

Splashing his face in a basin of water, he looked up at himself in the mirror, barely recognizing the reflection.

The storm is coming, he thought. Whatever it may be, all we can do is weather it out...

Cinching the sash on his waist another notch, he steps out of his tiny room at the inn, preparing for the day.

*Eryic will spend the morning looking for work, particularly anywhere that needs a weaponsmith, or a witch of average talent. After that, he'll do some bar-hopping, listening in on conversations in the hopes of hearing something and, if necessary, spending a few gold pieces to ask some questions. Up until that point, he'll play things by ear.*

Last edited:

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Arkas, male loresong, Akashic1/Magister2

So many new things!

Arkas had stayed for more than a week in Navael already and still discovered something new that drew his total attention every other day. Originally all he wanted to do was go south from his home, the Harrowdeep. Maybe there really were regions that were warmer?
But when he came upon a group of humans who were headed towards the crystal fields who told him of Navael, he decided to head for that town.
Never had he expected to see so many beings huddled together in one city!
And even some of races he had never seen before – Verrik, Sibbecai and even the occasional Mojh.

Hehee, i should call myself Arkas the Astounded at the moment Arkas thought when he first arrived. Maybe i can learn something here and make new friends?!

Looking for others with knowledge of the arcane, he was pointed towards the Alabaster Fang, where he stays since.

*Arkas tries to get to know as many people as possible, sometimes augmenting his charisma using charm, looking for characters who share his curiosity or have interesting things to tell. He tries to learn as much about this town and it’s people as he can [OOC: Casting charm before using Gather Information, resulting in +18]. Of course he knows that he isn’t funded too well, so he is also looking for opportunities to gather coins, be it helping some people to handle their animals or even helping in kitchens*

mpickett81

First Post
Matzerath, mojh, akashic 2 unfettered 1

Matzerath, along with his brother Urgo, arrived in Navael over a week ago. Having traveled here from the mojh enclave started by some of his family members deep within the Bitter Peaks, Matzerath was more interested in leaving that place than arriving in this one. He had little taste for the dragon worshipping tendencies of his kin. The visit to Navael came at the request of his brother, who seemed interested in adding some local alchemical concoction to his mobile laboratory.

This is not to say Matzerath doesn't find the town tolerable. The relatively low giant population keeps him from getting too anxious. While Urgo is holding up at the fancier Alabaster Fang Inn, the two have been meeting to plan criminal acts at the Black Lady, Matzerath's Inn of choice. The mojh has spent most of his days investigating the town... hoping to find out more about the nearby Crystal Fields, as well as the nature of the local giantish authority.

Today, however, Matzerath noticed something odd about the town. For a community awaiting a festival, this place is strangely subdued In truth, Matzerath was getting bored with this burg, as agreeable as he may have found it. The mojh leaves his Inn and heads for the Alabaster Fang, hoping his brother can shed some light on the subject.

FaenFriend

First Post
Agracahn, Male Litorian, Unfettered 3, Fabulously Well-Dressed

Agracahn lounges in The Singing Frog.

The great hunter surveys his territory with serene calm, waiting for something amusing to happen. But no, boring, boring, boring.

With thinly disguised disappointment, the litorian eyes a few newcomers to the inn.

Sporting last year’s fashions and a poor complexion? How do these people get in?

Agracahn sips at some spiced wine, swirling it contemplatively in its goblet. The gossip about the festival has been very quiet of late. No scandals. No affairs. No back-stabbings. No beautiful, litorian females, either. He sighs dramatically for his own benefit.

Agracahn examines his paws for a moment, admiring the flash of golden rings on them. His stylish outfit, a mix of reds and golds, has been updated for the latest craze – layered clothing with cut-out patterns. Interesting gold shapes have been revealed through his artfully slashed, crimson outer-tunic.

Bored nearly to tears, Agracahn leaves his seat and joins a group of young, adequately-dressed dice players. Perhaps they will have heard some juicey rumours.

“May I join your game, fine ladies and gentlemen?”

(ooc: Agracahn uses his signet ring of glamour - +5 to bluff, diplomacy, and gather information checks)

Tychus

First Post
Lo-Duran Giant Akashic 3

Lo-Duran scanned the pages of his logbook, reviewing the interviews of the past ten days. There are dozens of potential leads here, but will any pan out?. He studied his notes, searching for patterns, making occasional comments in the margins in his characteristic neat script. What I really need is some physical evidence.

Snapping the book shut, Lo-Duran rose and stretched. First things first. Custom dictated that if he planned to remain in town he pay his respects at the office of the Steward. I hope not to be sidetracked by some ceremonial duty, even if this is a working vacation. He packed his equipment for the day's work, making a final check of the room. But I will not embarass myself by shirking responsibility and hiding here at the Fang.

[Lo-Duran has spent the past 10 days in town making contacts and gathering information related to the murder he is currently investigating. He will continue to focus his energy on those tasks for the near future.]

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Urgo'Nangoroth, Mohj Runethane 1 / Akashic 2

Urgo and his brother Matzerath arrived at Navael a week ago. After the transformation, Urgo's mind became clearer, full of ideas and possibilities. Being passionate about Alchemy, he wanted to learn about some new potions. Navael seemed like a logical first destination.

He spent his first week going to Alchemical shops, mingling with the local craftspeople and alchemical artisans. Urgo has been staying at the Alabaster Fang, where his wagon is safema dn where he can get information from other magically inclined patrons. He usually spends his mornings chatting with the other patrons, waiting for his brother to come and join him. He has been hearing rumors of a coming storm, which does not appear to be a normal one.

He is currently chatting with a faen with a staff, and with a sprite, about this rumor.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Eryic, your hunting for a job as a weaponsmith pans out. At the Glowing Anvil forge, there is an opening. The Master Blacksmith is a human man called Garanden Quill, and he tells you that his apprentice just struck out on his own and he's been shorthanded. He'll need a demonstration of your skills before hiring you, but the pay is thirty Queens a week (30 gold). He'll also tell you there are a few boarding houses that will give you a room and a meal a day for a few gold a week. The Featherwing boarding house is one such (run by a faen) and Hax Packs is another, and he can vouch for both as being decent.*

*Hunting for rumors about the storms is somewhat hard. Many people have heard about the rumors, of course, and are willing to speculate freely, but getting people to talk about their dreams is a bit harder. In a inn called The Weary Chisel near the sculptor's quarter you find a heavy-set wind witch named Sharn nursing a flagon of ale. For a few Queens and a few more mugs of ale he's willing to talk about what's happening to him.*

"The dreams you ask of? You must have been having them too, I see it in your eyes. I've asked my teachers, and the others as well... They older ones of us say that the wind is restless and brings with it a smell of fire. They fear something has angered the spirits, but no one knows what could have caused it or how to stop it. I try to drink to dull my dreams... but they keep coming..."

*Arkas, armed with not inconsiderable social skills and a silver tongue augmented by magic, you can learn a great deal about the town and the people in it. The town is generally considered to be well-run, and the Steward is well regarded by most of the city's residents. However, considering that half the residents are faen and Ui-Narath favors them has a great deal to do with it. The humans especially are somewhat exasperated with the faen's special treatment. Some have begun expressing their dissatisfaction, albeit in small ways. Artistic contests in which faen are excluded, shopkeepers that ignore some special faen rates on certain goods, that kind of thing.*

*Also, you learn that Naima Neverlash, the current Sky's Favor winner, hasn't been seen in over a week. Most say she's had a burst of feverish inspiration on one of her famous crystal sculptures. But some say there's something odd going on, as she's even refused to see friends and family. A couple of mojh have been seen in town as well, which is somewhat unusual. One of them is staying at the Fang, and has been talking with many different patrons about the storm rumors.*

*Matzerath, you reception in this town is somewhat more welcoming than other communities you've been to. There's many strange looks, and some harsh words, but no attacks, and even one or two admiring looks from some artists, and one request to sit for a portrait by one adventurous spryte called Taini Dawnshimmer. In searching for information about the Crystal Fields, you discover that there are few artists that work with the material, but those that do are very well regarded. Some magicians work with it too, but they're even rarer, because its nigh-ruinous cost can only be afforded by the very wealthy, which in this town are almost always artists. One of the current crystal experts is Naima Neverlash, the current Sky's Favor champion, and a famed sculptress.*

*Expeditions to the Crystal Fields happen less than once every three months, due to the danger. However, it's typically a single group of people that specialize in the collection of the crystal. The current crystal retrieval team is known as the Razor Hand, a mixed group of faen and giants that live in extreme prosperity in the noble's quarter.*

*The local giantish community is fairly laid back, in comparison to other cities you've seen. The majority of the giants here are artisans rather than warriors. Most are fairly open-minded, though you've had no truly kind word from any giant since you've arrived here. Thinly veiled disdain from some, but distant and cool politeness from others. None have spoken unkindly to you, at least.*

*Agracahn sidles up to the young dandies, cutting quite an impressive figure with his fine clothes, bearing, and winning charm. The youths are playing the dicing game of dancing bones, and make room for you at the table. Four are quickling faen, two men in blue and green layered tunics, and two women in pink and purple layers, and one is a red-haired human woman who has the figure and golden complexion to pull off having her second layer of clothes be her skin. They bandy back and forth with you, throwing out the names of the local elite of the community, primarily artists of some repute. Much of it seems name-dropping and bravado, but you do hear two interesting rumors.*

"Naima, you know, the Favored Champion has rather up and vanished. Not seeing a soul for a week, not even her sister, if you can believe it. I do hope she's just busy, I'd hate to think she's left or something. Her sculptures are so gorgeous, I just had to get one from my parlor..."

"Did you hear? There's a party going to be held in the Blue Moon quarter tonight, and Barlereen is going to be showing off her new dance routine. I hear it's supposed to be quite the blood-stirer, quite possibly she'll sweep the festival with it..."

*Lo-Duran, your leads collectively seem to be pointing you down one of three roads. One, a contact in a glassblowing shop that may dabble in a bit of smuggling from time to time. The person, a quickling faen by the name of Goesen Flamecircle, is the accountant and bookkeeper, as well as the person who oversees the caravans that the shops goods are transported on. The shop is called the Water's Eye, and lies in the small glassworker's district, in the ceramic quarter. The other is a sibeccai messenger named Kovik the Loud, who may be delivering coded messages to those engaged in less than legal practices. The third is actually a giant guard named Na-Tarob, a man rumored to be somewhat susceptible to bribes, and having a weakness for women with expensive tastes. It may be that he accepted a bribe he couldn't refuse.*

*Heading to the Steward's hall, you're met by the secretary, and after a short wait, conducted into the Steward's office. Ui-Narath listens to your reason for being there, and nods sharply. She is a fairly attractive giant woman, and has obviously gone through the entire ceremony of Shu-Rin, as she stands over nine feet tall. She was working on some paperwork as you came in, writing with short, neat strokes of an inkpen.*

"I'm glad you came to see me. It's good to see such responsible people in any position of power. It may be that I have a job for you. Since we're so close to the festival, I'm going to need every guard I have during the festivities. I know you're on vacation, but if you would consent to help keep the crowds in check I would be most grateful. Have you had riot training?" she asks, her voice just a tad on edge. You notice that her eyes and mouth show some lines of strain, and that her hair is far more tightly braided than can be comfortable.

*Urgo, you've found a couple of willing people to talk to you about the storm. Both are unafraid, or at least unaffected by your being a mojh, and talk fairly freely. One is Pailoelan Frosttongue, a quickling faen you learn is a magister whom specializes in spells of ice and cold. The other is a spryte named Soen Kingmoon, who claims to be a champion of magic. Pailoelan (he insists you call him just Pai) seems to have most of the information about the storm rumors.*

"I've been having terrible dreams, dreams of a huge blizzard barreling down on the town and sealing it all up in snow and ice and wind. Usually I love blizzards, and I'd sit outside in them for hours..."

"If I'd let him. He'd have frozen to death a dozen times by now if I hadn't been around," Soen puts in. Pai gives him a half-exasperated, half-amused glance; this must be an old complaint.

"But this blizzard, these dreams... They scare me. I feel like something terrible is coming. As if... the winds themselves were angry. Angry winds doesn't really make sense to me at all... I want to strike out east, that's where I feel it's coming from, to see if there's anything out there, it's gotten that bad," Pai says, his pale blue eyes somewhat haunted.

"Aye," Soen chimes in, "if there's a magical disturbance causing this, I want to know what it is."

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Eryic Darumen (Human Wind Witch 3)

Ray Silver said:
*Eryic, your hunting for a job as a weaponsmith pans out. At the Glowing Anvil forge, there is an opening. The Master Blacksmith is a human man called Garanden Quill, and he tells you that his apprentice just struck out on his own and he's been shorthanded. He'll need a demonstration of your skills before hiring you, but the pay is thirty Queens a week (30 gold). He'll also tell you there are a few boarding houses that will give you a room and a meal a day for a few gold a week. The Featherwing boarding house is one such (run by a faen) and Hax Packs is another, and he can vouch for both as being decent.*

Folding his hands together, he offers a modest bow to Master Quill. "You are too generous sir," he replies, "Thank you. I would be happy to show you what I know whenever you're ready."

[OOC: Craft check at +7, will take 10 if given the time]

"Sir," he continues, "Who runs the Hax Packs?"

Ray Silver said:
*Hunting for rumors about the storms is somewhat hard. Many people have heard about the rumors, of course, and are willing to speculate freely, but getting people to talk about their dreams is a bit harder. In a inn called The Weary Chisel near the sculptor's quarter you find a heavy-set wind witch named Sharn nursing a flagon of ale. For a few Queens and a few more mugs of ale he's willing to talk about what's happening to him.*

"The dreams you ask of? You must have been having them too, I see it in your eyes. I've asked my teachers, and the others as well... They older ones of us say that the wind is restless and brings with it a smell of fire. They fear something has angered the spirits, but no one knows what could have caused it or how to stop it. I try to drink to dull my dreams... but they keep coming..."

Listening intently to Sharn, he gladly buys him drinks (but not enough to get him too drunk to speak coherently).

"Sharn," he asks, "Is it possible these dreams... that they do not allude to a literal storm? Do the spirits have a reason to be angry? If not, then perhaps they are trying to warn us?"

Last edited:

Tychus

First Post
Lo-Duran (Gnt Aks 3) in the Steward's Hall

Lo-Duran furrowed his brow. "I have participated in the required minimum training, but my talents principly lie elsewhere. Though if you have need of me, I will serve to the best of my ability." Lo-Duran paused. "Do you foresee such trouble ahead, Se-Garam?"

Last edited:

Remove ads