Life In Vein

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Arkas, you brush your riding dog, get yourself suitable and head to the Steward's Hall. Expressing your desire to see the Steward, the giant clerk looks a bit exasperated for an instant, but then nods and asks for your name.*

"It will be just a moment Arkas," he says, waving for you to take a seat. After a few minutes a clean-shaven giant man walks out of the Steward's office and the clerk goes in. A moment later he walks out and waves you in.

*Steward Ui-Narath is tall even for a giant, thought right now she looks a bit bowed under the weight of her office. She looks a bit frazzled, to be sure. When she sees you she give a small smile.*

"Greetings Arkas. I must apologize as I cannot linger too long here, I must be off to do some training with my officers soon, but please, what brings you here?"

Urgo said:
"Indeed, staying in the city may not be a very good idea...How long are the two of you staying in this inn?"

*Urgo continues to chat with the faen, about different theories on the source of the disturbance.*
"Another two days. We're having some things made, so as soon as they're done we're going," Soen says, brushing some crumbs off of his sleeve.

"There's more than one thing it could be, now that you mention it Urgo. A special spell of some sort... that's more than a little disconcerting. Any single person that could do such a thing would be hard to deal with... though wait! Perhaps it isn't a single person, perhaps it's many! Though then we have to ask the question of why. Has the city offended someone or many someones to rile their ire so?"

When Matzerath walks in the Inn, he introduces him to the faen, and briefs him on their discussion.

*Matzerath, you walk into the Fang to find your brother in conversation with a spryte in a faen, both speculating passionately about the storm. The spyte is introduced as Soen and the faen as Pai.*

*Agracahn, as you draw close to Barlareen's home, you can see it is lit with red and golden magical lights in delicately-wrought cages. Inside you see the courtyard is a sumptuous garden with heavy greenery, flowers, and a small waterfall. The place is scattered with large pillows, on which lounge many tastefully dressed humans, giants, and faen. A human man, apparently acting as the guardian of the gate, looks you over once, gives a knowing smirk, and waves you inside without a comment. You're the only litorian here, and you cut quite a fine figure.*

*The far end of the garden is clear of both pillows and plants and is backed by silk tapestries. Currently a remarkably flexible human woman in a red singlet is doing a slow dance that puts her body in remarkably complex positions, to the tune of a mandolin.*

*Lo-Duran, you don't get any specific impressions about what she's concerned about. She's just stressed.*

*On the street you notice that they seem a bit more empty than they should. There's not as many street buskers, juggles, or entertainers as you suspect their should be. Once or twice you pass a shop with boarded up windows, obviously to patch a break in the glass.*

*At the Glass Eye your inquiry is greeted by a quickling faen woman who leaps up from behind the counter. After speaking with her about arranging a meeting with Goesen, she cocks her head to the side.*

"Goesen doesn't usually come in until about late afternoon, and he works late into the evening. Come back sometime then and I'm sure he's see you, he's very accommodating," she says fairly cheerfully.

mpickett81

First Post
Matzerath, mojh, akashic 2 unfettered 1

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
*Matzerath, you walk into the Fang to find your brother in conversation with a spryte in a faen, both speculating passionately about the storm. The spyte is introduced as Soen and the faen as Pai.*
Matzerath nods at the faen with a sly grin. Turning to Urgo, he says, "Greetings brother, I trust you've heard something about the... unpleasantness expected on the day of the festival? I was hoping we could discuss it further."

Dougal DeKree

First Post
„Wooow, you are _tall_! Oh, i forget my manners...“
Arkas blushes a bit, before bowing towards Ui-Narath. Regarding the obviously fatigued Steward, Arkas tries to get directly to the point.
„I come from the Harrow and arrived here some days ago. Very interesting city you watch over! While looking around i noticed some people look a bit disturbed, so i tried to find out things people thought unusual. This is why i came to hear that Naima Neverlash behaves so strange in the last couple of days. Now i thought that you might know why? Or, if you don’t and are interested in this i can try to find more, if you want?“

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Eryic Darumen human wind witch 3

"That'll do lad. You'll do fine here. Hax Packs is run by a giant, his name is Ku-Germo. He's a good man, keeps his place is good order, and there's plenty of elbowroom. He tends to get plenty of metalworkers, and keeps a large clean bathhouse."

Eryic can barely contain his disdain at the mention of a giant. "Mmm..." he replies quietly, "I think I'll try the Featherwing. Thank you, Master Quill." Better a Faen than a Giant," he thinks to himself.

After his demonstration, he heads back to the Black Lady, picks up the meager possessions he owns, and transfers them to the Featherwing. Upon entering he waits patiently for service. Once he gets it, he says:

"Greetings. I've taken on a recent apprenticeship with Master Quill and he recommended the boarding house to me," he says, offering his most winning smile.

"I honestly don't know. I came here to learn how to make my spells and witchery beautiful, not study the ways of the spirits. For that you'd need a more mystical witch. Try my teacher Quelsa, she'll know anything worth knowing. I don't always follow what she says, but she knows more than me. She's at the Wind Temple in the priest's quarter," he says wearily, drinking more of his ale.

"Thank you Sharn," he replies, seriously. Stepping out of Sharn's earshot and pulling the bartender aside, he hands the man a few coins.

"Take these and make sure he doesn't drown in his ale." With another quick thanks to Sharn, he wisks out of the tavern, heading quickly to the temple district.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
mpickett81 said:
Matzerath nods at the faen with a sly grin. Turning to Urgo, he says, "Greetings brother, I trust you've heard something about the... unpleasantness expected on the day of the festival? I was hoping we could discuss it further."

"Soen, Pai, will you please excuse us" Nodding at his brother, Urgo goes towards an isolated table in the in. He discusses what he has been talking about with the faen.

"I recall only one other such magical disturbance. It was powerful enough to destroy Dramojh. The faen believe it is coming from the mountains, and want to explore the area. If an artifact were to be causing this, its weilder cvould accomplish a great many things..."

FaenFriend

First Post
Agracahn strolls with confident grace to an empty pillow by the waterfall and reclines. Gently dabbing at his whiskers for a moment with a silk hankerchief, he asks a passing server to bring him a glass of spiced wine. He observes the human contortionist for a few moments but finds his attention wandering.

Humans are like newborn kittens. Pink, charming perhaps, but hardly sensual.

He gazes about the garden, searching the half-shadowed faces that glow in the soft lantern light to see if he knows or recognizes anyone.

mpickett81

First Post
Matzerath mojh akashic 2 unf 1

Steve Gorak said:
"I recall only one other such magical disturbance. It was powerful enough to destroy Dramojh. The faen believe it is coming from the mountains, and want to explore the area. If an artifact were to be causing this, its weilder cvould accomplish a great many things..."

"Yes brother, great things indeed." Matzerath pauses for a moment. "But I doubt even the two of us together would be much good wandering around the mountains looking for the cause without any direction. I am interested in what exactly this magical storm might bring, but we're going to have to uncover some more information."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
mpickett81 said:
"Yes brother, great things indeed." Matzerath pauses for a moment. "But I doubt even the two of us together would be much good wandering around the mountains looking for the cause without any direction. I am interested in what exactly this magical storm might bring, but we're going to have to uncover some more information."

"Indeed... but I am not sure if it is wize to remain in the city...what if the purpose of the storm is to destroy Navael? Of course, this is pure speculation.. the outcome of which cannot be taken lightly, however.
<1 second pause>
I agree with you brother, about getting more information, but we must be ready to leave before there is a mass exodus out of the city...
<1 second pause>
I have not been successful in finding any significant amount of information on the storm, aside from what I have already told you."

Last edited:

mpickett81

First Post
Matzerath, mojh akashic 2 unf 1

Steve Gorak said:
"Indeed... but I am not sure if it is wize to remain in the city...what if the purpose of the storm is to destroy Navael? Of course, this is pure speculation.. the outcome of which cannot be taken lightly, however.
<1 second pause>
I agree with you brother, about getting more information, but we must be ready to leave before there is a mass exodus out of the city...
<1 second pause>
I have not been successful in finding any significant amount of information on the storm, aside from what I have already told you."

"Bah. I haven't gained much significant information either. Perhaps tonight we'll have more of an opportunity to figure out what's going on."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Arkas, the Steward seems to be pleased by your arrival, though she still looks a bit harried. She listens to your request and nods a bit absently.*

"I'm afraid I don't know about Naima, feykin, as I've been rather busy in attending a dozen other things. But if you would go check up on her, I'd be in your debt. Far from me to disregard any member of this community," the giant says. She'll also give you directions to Naima's home, if you want them.

*Eryic, the Featherwing is run by a quickling faen called Weara Youthsong, and upon hearing your request, nods quickly.*

"Ah yes Master Quill, good man good man, a room you're wanting yes? good, five Queens a week and supper each night besides, can't beat that and my cook is good yes," she says brightly, her words spilling into one another as she speaks at a breakneck pace.

*At the Weary Chisel the barkeep will nod and take your coins.*

"I'm glad someone's taken an intrest in his welfair, it's usually not good for me to deny the inn custom," he murmurs in half-apology.

*In the temple district the Wind Temple isn't too hard to find. Made of finely-carved woods, along with many live trees, windchimes and suncatches adorn nearly every surface, allowing even the smallest of breezes an additional voice. Asking for Quelsa, you're directed to a small secluded grove of birch. Here is kneeling a woman with long white hair, dressed in a flowing white gown. Her back is to you, and she sing softly into the wind.*

*Agracahn, you recognize no one right off the bat, though after a half hour (and two performances later) you see some of the dandies from The Singing Frog come in. Finally, an hour after you arrive, a lighting of red lamps signals the beginning of Barlareen's performance. Gliding onto the stage is a lithe and strong-looking litorian woman, her golden fur brushed to a burnished finish, with fine lines shaved in it, imitating the current fashions. Scarves of red silk that slide sinuously through her hands and across her body, preserving "modesty" by the thinest of margins, and sometimes not at all. The music that swells around her is laden with throbbing drumbeats.*

*A wind begins to blow from the east, swirling the insense-laden air around her, but quickly turnng from a playful breeze to threatening windstorm. Someone shrieks as an oil lamp is overturned, catching the silk scarves on fire. In this confusing infurno, you suddenly notice Barlareen. The music has stopped, and the dancer is staring at the flames in her garden, a longing yet conflicted expression on her face. As the wind shrieks again, whipping the flames into a frenzy, Barlareen gives a low moan and throws herself toward the fire.*

[OOC: This windstorm is happening at night, and only in the dancer's district on the northern end of town, which is near the temple district. Agracahn is on a slightly later time stream than anyone else, so unless anyone else is in the dancer's or temple district in the evening, they wouldn't know about this fire right away.]

Remove ads