Magical Schools for the Greater Good

Vael

Legend
I'll second Strixhaven and The Magicians. Both, admittedly, are more about college level, not elementary/high school age kids, but they engage with the material in interesting ways. The books The Magicians are based on, I'll admit I only read the first one and found it okay, but it apparently is an interesting response to The Chosen One narratives that are prevalent in ... those books.

Speaking of which, the other one I'd suggest is Rainbow Rowell's Simon Snow Trilogy: Carry On, Wayward Son and Anyway the Wind Blows ... it's HP fanfic (kinda, the world is different, but it is very much a take on HP) and a Harry/Draco one at that. I spent half the book expecting a Cease and Desist from Rowling, so reading a very queer, much more pop cultured fan ficy response to the books feels like delightful spite.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'll second Strixhaven and The Magicians. Both, admittedly, are more about college level, not elementary/high school age kids, but they engage with the material in interesting ways. The books The Magicians are based on, I'll admit I only read the first one and found it okay, but it apparently is an interesting response to The Chosen One narratives that are prevalent in ... those books.
I really like the Magicians novels, but they're explicitly trying to be literary fantasy, rather than straight fantasy, which I think turns a lot of people off. (One of the big ongoing themes is "adulting sucks," which is not exactly swashbuckling fantasy.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Huh!

Even though I’ve personally used them in my homebrewed FRPG settings, other than Earthsea, Diskworld and The Magicians TV series, I don’t recall encountering formal schools of magic in fantasy fiction beyond the implications that some exist/existed in a given setting. But they weren’t the focus of the stories, so they were not detailed beyond the occasional mention.

Academies for “gifted beings“ seems more common in Sci-Fi and superheroic fiction.

Dioltach

Legend
If I remember correctly: Hadrumal, in Juliette E. McKenna's books. The details are a bit blurry, because I never finished reading the series and it was a long time ago.

(And of course there's the Jedi Academy. It might be space, but it's still magic.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t recall encountering formal schools of magic in fantasy fiction beyond the implications that some exist/existed in a given setting.

Check the Literature section of the TV tropes page on the topic. There's a lot of it. some is reference being in the world, but a lot is focused on the school itself.

Remove ads