Magical Schools for the Greater Good

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I don't know how many plus signs we need here, but three seems good.

The Premise: H*rry P*tter (and especially its very vocal creator) are terrible*, but the concept of the magical school is one that has been bringing children of all ages (including the children at heart) for many decades now. With one (again, just terrible*) property hogging the spotlight on the genre, I thought it might be a helpful and hopeful activity to bring highlights to other properties with spells and schools by people who aren't vile*

(+++) Ground Rules: The asterisks* statements above are taken as a given in this thread. If you actively still enjoy this property, and more importantly are still willing to take about and promote it, then this thread is not for you. Enjoy the rest of the internet. Might I recommend reading up on exactly why this property is so controversial now, and from multiple perspectives, and consider what costs you're willing to accept to maintain your own personal entertainment. I don't want to argue about it. Just turn around, and let this thread be a beacon of positivity, especially to a community of people who could really freaking stand some positivity after the past week.

Anyway, moving on, here are some of my recommendations for great wizarding school content!

First up, there's Trans Wizards are Wizards, an itch.io bundle full of 69 (nice) computer games, game assets, zines and tabletop RPGs all about wizards and witches and schools all made by LGTBQ+ content creators. The main bundle is $60, but there's also a slightly smaller bundle for $10. They have so far raised over $100,000 from these bundles.

Next, for a great series of Dangerous Magical School Novels is the Scholomance Series, a wonderful trilogy filled with awesome spells, terrifying monsters, and relatable students.

Finally, I pitch a video game available on plenty of platforms: Ikenfell. A very adorable JRPG-inspired game with a very fun cast.

What are some of your other recommendations?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I loved Earthsea (all of them) - but the school doesn't seem the focus as much as some others and they aren't really uplifting in a happy sort of way.

A near miss and a double miss:
The Wednesday series that came out has plenty of magic at it - but it isn't wizards.
Percy Jackson isn't a wizard and it's a summer camp - but you need somewhere when you're out of school.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I loved Earthsea (all of them) - but the school doesn't seem the focus as much as some others and they aren't really uplifting in a happy sort of way.

A near miss and a double miss:
The Wednesday series that came out has plenty of magic at it - but it isn't wizards.
Percy Jackson isn't a wizard and it's a summer camp - but you need somewhere when you're out of school.
I think that Earthsea doesn't really concentrate much on the school aspect, except as a basis for what makes Ged, Ged, because the magic system is largely based on memorizing the true names of things. Sitting around in a library and memorizing things isn't really engaging so they fast-forward to Ged's one terrible act, that haunts him through the first book.

When thinking about magical schools my mind immediately goes to "The Magicians" and "The Bureau of Magical Things."

DrunkonDuty

he/him
The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy. 8 Books. A TV movie, a TV series, another much more recent TV series. The school in the series is called Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches. The school was inspired by her own actual experience in a convent school.

I think that the Wizard School in Earthsea could easily be expanded upon. Although it would have a very different feel from British Public Boarding School experience to be found at Miss Cackle's Academy.

Just want to second both The Magicians and The Scholomance series. Both so good. And once again such very different school experiences from Miss Cackle's.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy. 8 Books. A TV movie, a TV series, another much more recent TV series. The school in the series is called Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches. The school was inspired by her own actual experience in a convent school.
The Worst Witch is so good, especially the most recent TV series, which starred Bella Ramsey and also has the best "extremely antagonistic teacher who is nevertheless a good guy" in the entire damn genre.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
The Worst Witch is so good, especially the most recent TV series, which starred Bella Ramsey and also has the best "extremely antagonistic teacher who is nevertheless a good guy" in the entire damn genre.

I'll come clean, I haven't seen the newer series. In fact I didn't even know there was a newer series until I wrote my post above. I'll have to track it down somewhere. <googles> Oh. Netflix. I have Netflix. Yay. I got me some media content to binge.

Speaking of things I should have seen, or at least known about, Bureau of Magical Things is another show I'd never heard of. Embarrassing for me as I used to work in TV production here in Australia (where it's made.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Dragonspyre/Ravenwood Academy as used in the game Wizard 101 is pretty cool (though I prefer Pirates 101)

Domdaniel is a cavern under the sea near Tunis where Wizards, spirits and gnomes gather. It appeared in Arabian Nights in 1797 and is later used by Niel Gaiman.

Alfea College the boarding school that trains fairys in Winx Academy. Situated in the Otherworld of Solaria.

* Scholamance appears in Bram Stokers Dracula. In Romanian folklore it was the secret school where the Devil himself taught the arts of magic.

Last edited:

Remove ads