Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Back to the vapor rats, add a burrow speed (the description states that they burrow well).

Borrowing from the vampire spawn:

Gaseous Form (Su): As a standard action, a vapor rat can assume gaseous form at will as the spell (caster level Xth), but it can remain gaseous indefinitely and has a fly speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.

-or (borrowing from the belker)-

Vapor Form (Su): Most of the time a vapor rat is more or less solid, but at will it can assume vapor form. It can switch forms once per round as a free action and can spend up to X rounds per day in vapor form. A vapor rat in vapor form can fly at a speed of 50 feet (perfect). The ability is otherwise similar to a gaseous form spell (caster level Xth).

Whaddya think?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
MM2 said:
It is possible for vapor rats to alter the substance of their bodies and assume a gaseous form, In this condition they appear to be wisps of cloud or similar vapors, In normal solid state, vapor rats move very quickly and rapidly, are able to swim well, and are capable of burrowing rapidly through loose soil or the material of cloud islands, In their vaporous condition, they are able to direct their movement much as a ship would steer before the wind, and they are thus able to move from cloud to cloud around the sky.

Wounded or seriously threatened vapor rats will always assume gaseous form. In such state, they can only be harmed by attack forms which cause their vapors to be destroyed. Such attack forms include very hot or magical fire, lightning, and exceptionally strong winds.

MC5 said:
It is possible for vapor rats to alter the substance of their bodies and assume a gaseous form. In this condition they appear to be wisps of cloud or similar vapors. In their vaporous condition they are able to direct their movements much as a ship would steer before the wind, and they are thus able to move from cloud to cloud around the sky.

Wounded or seriously threatened vapor rats always assume gaseous form. In such a state, they can be harmed only by attack forms that cause their vapors to be destroyed. These include very hot or magical fire, lightning, and exceptionally strong winds (see the potion of gaseous form for more details).

I’d say that vapor form is certainly more flavorful! :) (wondering… should we add the air subtype?) I’d say their movement rate should be standard for whatever gaseous form provides for.

A weird thing about the movement rate. The MM2 entry says this: MOVE: 12"/ /6" (1")

The MC5 entry contradicts it quite a bit: MOVEMENT: 12, Fl 6 (Gaseous 1)

Now, from the front of the MM2, movement entries are explained:
X" = ground speed
/X" = flying speed
/ /X" = swimming speed
(X") = burrowing speed
"X" = climbing in a web
@X" = climbing in trees

That table seems to suggest to me that a vapor rat could move normally at 12, swim at 6, and burrow at 1. I’m reading that correctly aren’t I? Seems that the MC5 designers were not. Notice that the MM2 entry even mentions that they swim and burrow!

So, their real 3.5 speed should be: 30 ft (6 squares), swim 20 ft, burrow 5 ft – correct?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
So, their real 3.5 speed should be: 30 ft (6 squares), swim 20 ft, burrow 5 ft – correct?
Wow, weird. Yep, I think you're correct.

The standard gaseous form speed is fly 10 ft. (perfect).

Air subtype sounds good to me.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
MM2
Whenever one is killed or seriously wounded, it gives off a small puff of noxious fumes This gaseous release is the equivalent of a stinking cloud spell (q.v.), but it will affect only 1 individual if within 5-8 feet of the vapor rat. The rat always directs its release at its opponent, and the gas dissipates beyond the maximum distance shown above. Thus, while it is safe to slay these monsters from a distance, they are particularly dangerous in close proximity.

MC5
Whenever one is killed, it gives off a small puff of noxious fumes. This gaseous release is the equivalent of the stinking cloud spell, but it affects only one individual within eight feet of the vapor rat. The rat always directs its release toward its opponent, and the gas dissipates to harmlessness beyond eight feet. Thus, while it is safe to slay these creatures at a distance, they are particularly dangerous in close proximity.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i'll take a stab at it -

<Stinking Cloud>? (Ex): When a vapor rat is killed, its body creates a gaseous release of noxious fumes that affects a single 5-foot cube in any square within 10 feet of the vapor rat for one round. This affect is always aimed towards the creature that killed the rat. Any creature in that square or who enters that square while the effect is active is affected in the same way as stinking cloud (Fort DC 11 to negate). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks good, except you can just say it makes them nauseous for 1d4+1 rounds (since that's all stinking cloud does). I'd go with Death Throes for the name of the ability for consistency.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It's shaping up nicely. Some thoughts...

A dire rat is CR 1/3. This guy's abilities don't really make it much more deadly, although it does have 1 more HD. Maybe CR 1/2? Is there a law against 2 HD creatures having less than one HD?

Should we make Weapon Finesse a bonus feat and give it Alertness? That's what the dire rat has.

I'd go with Listen 1, Move Silently 3, Spot 1. It'll get +8 to Swim from having a Swim speed, and a nice size bonus to Hide.

It probably should only weigh about a pound, since it's dinky and airy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads