• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Mountain

Imret

First Post
Anybody remember this PC threshing machine from 2nd Edition? :D First time I played through it we died so many times we house-ruled away the Con loss for resurrection and wound up carving a new country out of the surrounding countryside with the loot we gathered (FIVE pages! w00t!)...of course, that was with only 2 PC's at 2 million XP each. 2nd Edition.

Anyways, my 3e group is currently going through this converted-on-the-fly adventure, and I was wondering if anybody out there would be interested in the results being posted somewhere online as we go?

Wolf72

Explorer
what are you going to do about the polymorphed fire giant? he's no longer like a kobold with fire giant abilities and str.

still has huge amount of hp (give him max) ... and iterive attks

no more fire subtype, immense str ... unless you fudge it a wee bit (dm privelage) :)

Echoes

First Post
I converted the whole thing over the summer. Sat down with my books and all the junk and just went over the whole thing with a fine-tooth comb. Unfortunately, I've left it at home and I'm now at school, and I probably won't get a chance to play it with my group until next summer. But, from what I remember, a few interesting notes:

1) the Kobold leaders get MUCH more powerful. Since they were just regular kobols in 2nd ed and now they are level 6+ clan leaders (according to the MM, which is what I went by) they can be pretty formidable with their devious plans.

2) Trap DCs are hard to judge. I would suggest that you write a list of all the traps out and judge them against each other as far as how hard they are to find, etc. That's what I did, just sort of eyeballed it.

3) Hittel the Assassain becomes a slaughter machine.

4) Infyranna (sp?) will make toast out of just about anyone. She's CR, what, 24? 25? I converted her and it was just ridiculous. Heh heh heh.

5) Re: the polymorphed fire giant: yeah, I just fudged it and gave him max HP and etc. Just ran him pretty much like in 2nd ed.

6) I kept all the circumstance bonuses from the original adventure, such as the kobolds firing down a narrow hallway with a ballista. Just gave them the same + to their Attack Bonus as they got a reduction in THAC0.

Well, all that said (whew), I would definitely be interested in seeing the results of this! Since I'm going home in a couple of weeks I could pick up my conversions and the adventure itself and maybe help you out if you need any suggestions. It's awesome that someone else got the idea of doing this!

Laters,
-John-

Wolf72

Explorer
5) ... very cool, if anyoe deserves it, it's the fire kobold :) ... hey look it's a kobold ... OH MY GOD!!! It did how much damage???? I cast fireball at it ... RUN!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!

:)

BlackJaw

First Post
hehehe, still kicking player ass even after extensive version changes.

I have that box set. It's killer. Not only a great monster filled dungeon, but also it describes what the place was like when it was still a massive dwarven base, and a third of it takes place OUTSIDE the mountain. Man that was great mid-high level adventure.

Azure Trance

First Post
You guys didn't have that many qualms about it?

I was excited to get it online, but when it came in the mail certain aspects of it were just ... bleh. Nothing wrong with the encounters or anything, but the other things:

I don't have it with me right now, but the worst thing I can remember was right after you encounter the paladin (and get, or give a thrashing), you meet a Bard who doesn't leave you alone with his singing, and you confront him, then he does that thing with the barmaid where he shows the PCs her tattoo.

When it said in Italics to read out to the players "The tattoo was so detailed, it could only have come from a map!", I was like, what?

Zarthon

Explorer
Greetings all, does anyone have a conversion of Dragon Mountain for me, it would make my life a whole lot easier.

Thanks in advance

Echoes

First Post
Hey y'all. After a long summer abscence I'm back in school and back on the boards. I don't have a computer file of the conversion, but I could type it up given time.

The big things to take care of are DC conversions, which mostly you have to eyeball. Mind you, they should be pretty insanely hard for traps and poison saves. My players did complain because 3E has no "Instant death" poison like some of the kobolds in the campaign use, and they argued that it would cost them 5k per dosage. "Well," I reasoned. "They are working for an insanely powerful dragon..."

But I may have time to work on it this next month or so, once I locate it. It's around here somewhere, I know it!

And as far as the "The tatto is so detailed...it could have only come from a MAP!" thing...well, yeah. It's old school. Take it or leave it. Personally, I thought it was hilarious. And not just because that particular bard, played effectively, is an almost instantaneous barfight starter.

Later,
-John-

Remove ads