• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

G.I. Joe, d20 Modern-style?

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I think this may have been discussed much earlier, but I can't find the thread for it.

Has anyone attempted working on a G.I. Joe d20 Modern game/campaign setting, or using some G.I. Joe elements in their current d20 Modern game? Just curious to see what may already be out there.

JPL

Adventurer
AFGNCAAP said:
I think this may have been discussed much earlier, but I can't find the thread for it.

Has anyone attempted working on a G.I. Joe d20 Modern game/campaign setting, or using some G.I. Joe elements in their current d20 Modern game? Just curious to see what may already be out there.

A fella named Chuck has written a mighty fine book called Blood & Fists which discusses whoo-hah G.I. Joe-style military action as an option.

Pair it with Blood and Fists if you like them ninja.

Both are as sweet as tupelo honey.

In the current Dungeon/Polyhedron, there's a nice article presenting FEAR, a Cobra-like group of bad guys.

Last edited:

AFGNCAAP

First Post
JPL said:
[snip]

In the current Dungeon/Polyhedron, there's a nice article presenting FEAR, a Cobra-like group of bad guys.

Actually, that's 1 of the things that got me thinking about it. I've sorta used Cobra as inspiration for villains in superhero games before. Also was considering running a modified Urban Arcana game with a verison of Cobra as the main, big bad evil organization (which would be a mix of the comic book version, the cartoon version, plus a bit of Marvel's Serpent Society & DC's Kobra thrown into the mix). The leader (a yuan-ti) woulda been a mix between Serpentor & Cobra Commander (style-wise)--his loyal troops would have been Snakeblooded Humans.

However, I wasn't sure about anything on a campaign more directly based off of the G.I. Joe "mythos," if you will.

VirgilCaine

First Post
AFGNCAAP said:
Also was considering running a modified Urban Arcana game with a verison of Cobra as the main, big bad evil organization (which would be a mix of the comic book version, the cartoon version, plus a bit of Marvel's Serpent Society & DC's Kobra thrown into the mix).

As a person who only watched the TV show and read like 5 of the comics, what are the differences?

"Naaaa… he's really very sweet… Ask him to show you his collection of spike-knuckled trench-knives!"
—Rock & Roll to Torpedo, on Snake-Eyes, G. I. Joe v.1, #18 (Marvel Comics)

:confused: Sweet? Reminds me of that commercial with the embarassed guy who called something "cute"...

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
Dunno if it helps, but it seems like there were some substantial rumors flying around the boards no more than a month ago talking about the possibility of hasbro releasing the GI Joe Intellectual Property for D20 Modern.

Might have only been a rumor, but damn would that have been cool.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Yeah I've done it with both Modern and Spycraft... :)

As for notes and such well both sets are pretty much gone but if tell me what your looking for a can look around to see if I have them. :)

JPL

Adventurer
VirgilCaine said:
As a person who only watched the TV show and read like 5 of the comics, what are the differences?

Cartoon Cobra is closer to Skeletor or the Legion of Doom than an actual terrrorist organization. It was, after all, an eighties cartoon.

Comic Cobra is a more realistic, more dangerous group. Comic Cobra murders Joe prisoners in cold blood and does other scary stuff.

"Cold Slither" or the Cobrathon...that's cartoon stuff.

JPL

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
Isn't there like two different versions of GI JOE comic book series, one in the 80's and the other more grittier version?

Right. There's a G.I. Joe comic that's set in the continuity established in the 1980s comic, but set in the present day [although I think they've started to retcon a few biographies so the characters don't get too old].

There's also a new comic which reboots the franchise --- Cobra starts post-9/11, and I'm sure many of the Joes are Gen-Xers. It's more realistic and grittier than any prior incarnation of the Joes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads