• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Wieliczka Salt Mines

DAMN! This is pretty cool! I really love the king's chamber.

It would be fun to compile a list of "real world dungeons" as inspiration for design. Places like the tunnels underneath Liverpool, I believe there was an underground "ward" in Edinburgh, Carlsbad Caverns, etc...

Oh, and to get:

Ham stuffed with asparagus with capar sauce, pastry
Cream mushroom soup
Chicken entrecote with curry sauce, rice
Salads
Vienna Cheesecake
Juice, mineral water - 300 ml
Coffee or tea

for about $11.50 sounds good to me! I had to look at the menu in the underground restaurant. :p

darklight

First Post
That is absolutely amazing!
According to http://www.poland-embassy.si/eng/poland/wieliczka.htm there is 190(!) miles of corridors and rooms!! Just walking through these would take several days, let alone sneaking cautiously, searching for traps. :cool: I guess those big old dungeons can make sense after all :)

I had never heard of this, even though I live fairly close to it (in Denmark) I have to go see it sometime. It's only 940kms away :D

Thanks a lot for the links.

darklight

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Oh yeah. As I recall, the miners carved out a number of features, including a cathedral at which services were held before the communists took over. Even today sometimes marriages are performed there.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've been to the Salt Cathedral of Zipaquira', Colombia -- but it's tremendously underrepresented on the web. I can't find any good pictures!

EDIT - a search for "salt cathedral" turned up some good ones.

colom11.gif

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Things like this are really cool. There have been a number of stories lately about the caverns under Moscow and Paris- apparently there are societies of some form of (my theory) dark creepers that sets up theaters and stuff down below.

Remove ads