• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

0-level spells?

Huw

First Post
Detect Magic lots of times. Mage Hand on occasion. Resistance if I've had a spare action just before combat or entering a new area.

isoChron

First Post
Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, each session.
Detect Poison, Mending, often.
Dancing Lights the bad guys with darkvision use it sometimes.

Joker

First Post
As cleric, create water fairly often. Cure Light sometimes to stabilize someone (negative energy channeler). And Detect Magic.

gribble

Explorer
Best use I ever saw for a 0-level spell was when I was running the NG module Crubile of Freya. It includes some major spoilers for the module, so if you want to read about it highlight below:

At the very end, hidden underground is a shadow (the undead creature). The fight went badly for the party - all the warriors were helpless from strength drain, no magic weapons, magic weapon spells cast and used, and the shadow was on 1hp. The wizard was out of spells, the cleric only had 0-level spells left, and (not knowing it was on 1hp) used a cure minor as a touch attack and killed it.

Was one of the most tense and exciting combats I've ever been involved in, and at the end of the day it was all settled by a 0-level spell...
:D

MonsterMash

First Post
I've made good use of detect magic, light, read magic, create water, mage hand and mending. Cure Minor Wounds has saved plenty of characters at 1st and 2nd level as it autostabilises if on negative HP.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Nobody mentioned Message yet? For my money it is the single most valuable of the 0 level spells for co-ordinating a group, working with a scout and so on.

Each casting lasts 10mins per level, range is 100ft +10ft/level and targets 1 creature per level, so it is OK at 1st level and just gets better from there on in - the caster acts as the relay station because he can whisper to everyone targetted and they can whisper back to him.

It's great!

Zen

First Post
My gnomish wizard/rogue/spellthief has sent many a foe to thier graves using sniper tactics with acid splash and ray of frost. 1d3+2d6 sneak attack damage can ruin a person's whole day--at 3rd level.

--Z

Vraister

First Post
I used Guidance lots of times. It stacks with resistance and gives an extra boost to saves in the early levels. Use it if you know a task is tricky.

Vraister

Remove ads