• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

007, World's Second Oldest Profession, and the Secret War

Jack7

First Post
Today the family and I went to the library. I was really there just renewing stuff, but decided to look around anyhow.

On the new book shelf I saw Carte Blanche: 007. Now I've never been a big fan of the James Bond character, not as presented by Ian Fleming. Buddies of mine used to try and get me to read his books, and I did but was always sorely disappointed, given my experiences with real espionage, and my studies of espionage. Bond always seemed a cartoon character to me, by comparison to real agents and cases. (An exciting character, yes, but hardly a really clever one.) Also I thought Bond really, really sucked as a Detective, a necessary skill for a real agent, and was terrifically slow on the uptake on anything aside from combat.

But I've read Jeff Deaver's work and like it and he is reinventing Bond (sort of like in the films, and I like this Bond film version much, much better than most of the previous ones). So I started reading this book, really liked it, and checked it out. I'm about 3 chapters in and still liking it. This Bond is to me a lot better. He's an Afghan vet and no longer works for MI6. I got nothing against MI6, admire the organization, but this Bond is far looser and more flexible, adaptable, a far better Dick, and he also seems a far better and more clever agent. Still a real exaggeration, but much more like a real agent.

Then I went over to the books on CD to see if any good new lectures were out. I listen to 2 or 3 Modern Scholar lecture series a month. Just finished Citadels of Power - about castles. Coincidentally, if you belief in that kinda thing, the latest lecture out was called The Second Oldest Profession: A World History of Espionage, Part One. The lecture series is by Professor Jeffrey Burds, Northeaster University. Burds is associate professor on Russian and Soviet history, on the history of the KGB, and on espionage in WWII.

The lecture series covers espionage activity from the ancient world up to the American civil War, which is the period I consider the birth of modern-era espionage. I'm really, really looking forwards to this lecture. My only regret is that the course guide is on the 8th disc, so there is no printed course guide, there's only a PDF. Which would be great if there were a printable glossary, but there is none. I don't like that. I have to extract all relevant data myself.

But I am very much looking forward to Part Two already, which I assume will probably run up to contemporary times.

By the way I've also recently been watching The Secret War (I think it's on the History channel). I'm enjoying the heck out of it too.

Last edited:

Jack7

First Post
But I'm wondering, what's the oldest profession... ;)

I'm not absolutely sure EM, but I was once told it also has something to do with working undercover(s). That's the scuttlebutt anyways.

Remove ads