• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (1) Halfling v. (2) Gnome

(1) Halfling v. (2) Gnome

• Halfling

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Gnome

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Poll closed .

I vote Gnome but appreciate this is a toughie.

Or is it?

If you take Lucky away from Halflings you have a pretty vanilla race that is good at running between opponents' legs. But Lucky is pretty cool.

Against that, Gnomes have a free multi-utility cantrip Minor Illusion. Speak with Small Animals is really useful, and Proficiency on magic v mental stat saving throws is not to be sniffed at. The rock gnome tinker ability can be fun with some thought.

A white-labelled own brand version of Frodo is only really there due to the influence of LoTR; the Halfling really doesn't feature in any other literature whereas the Gnome is a thing. It's folkloric. They're featured in Alexander Pope, Nathaniel Hawthorne, CS Lewis and Terry Brooks...

"Gnome" is a name; "Halfling" is an epithet at best, a racial slur at worst.

Gnomes have more personality, and as Jules from Pulp Fiction would say, "personality goes a long way".

Vote Gnome. Vote for a world without shoddy rip-offs.

CaptainGemini

First Post
As much as I dislike the pets running around and talking and really think people should keep them on leashes more often... I have to admit that, for being nonsentient, they still have more personality than halflings.

My vote is for the gnome.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
What a fantastic disappointment--the only even vaguely "unusual" race to make it to the second round is half-orc, and that only because it was unavoidable that *something* "unusual" would go on. To face human, of course, which is a foregone conclusion.

I know this is all in good fun and such. But I basically have lost all interest in participating now.

Remove ads