• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 10 ft Flanking

Jediking

Explorer
So an interesting situation came up in my game last night. We have a Fighter with his darling Halberd and my own Paladin with his recently acquired Whip from a now-smited (smote? def not smitten) fiend. This was our first combat where we were able to maneuver a bit, and we use the DMG Flanking rules. But with both of us having 10 ft melee reaches, we didn't really know how to go about this. Our DM allowed us to Flank, but only if we we directly in line with a creature. We were worried for a bit that we would have a huge advantage, but once an enemy came close to us it evened out, as they could move around a bit without provoking OAs while we were a little less mobile, and to get back into Flanking position would need to eat one or two attacks.

Overall it seemed fine for one combat and gives us a bit more to think about with positioning and isn't overpowered. It will probably be better against a single target, as if we manage to get him pinned and he only has a 5ft reach he will take an OA. We happened to face a bunch of guards with bows and swords, so being 10 ft away just let them pull out their bows and shoot without disadvantage :/

TL;DR: Melee fighters each have 10 ft reach and use it to Flank enemies from distance. Interesting but not broken.

Has anyone else had this come up, and if so how have you handled it?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My HotDQ Paladin was able to use a Whip and block (well, punish) all pursuit down an alley. I could lash out* 10 feet in all directions. When we later re-read the rules on Opportunity Attacks, we were doing it wrong. But it was FUN in the meanwhile.

* pardon the pun

Remove ads