10 Iconic Fictional Swords!

Freelance illustrator and animator Robert Shaw created an infographic displaying 10 of the most iconic swords in fiction. It's a great list, although it does rather prompt a "What, no Excalibur?" response. The graphic includes swords from The Hobbit, Highlander, Thundercats, Kill Bill, Conan, and more.

Freelance illustrator and animator Robert Shaw created an infographic displaying 10 of the most iconic swords in fiction. It's a great list, although it does rather prompt a "What, no Excalibur?" response. The graphic includes swords from The Hobbit, Highlander, Thundercats, Kill Bill, Conan, and more.

Other than Excalibur, what other swords would you include on this list?

Click here to jump to his website!

infographic_iconicswordsinfiction_web_640.jpg

Janx

Hero
No lightsaber either.

A light sabre would be more recognizable than the Kill Bill sword.

The test of "iconic" is if you show a picture of the sword, I know what it is.

Kill Bill's generic looking katana is not iconic.

Even the stupid Buster Sword is at least recognizable as "that stupidly named unwieldy sword from Final Fantasy"

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Excalibur and Stormbringer have not had highly popular visual media representations, so he cannot draw such representations for us.
I confess to paying more attention to a scantily-clad Helen Mirren, but might I draw your attention to a 1981 film called Excalibur? And it was quite popular at the time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I confess to paying more attention to a scantily-clad Helen Mirren, but might I draw your attention to a 1981 film called Excalibur? And it was quite popular at the time.

And, if someone flashed a pic of the sword used in that film, would anyone recognize it? Probably not.

werekraken

First Post
It is more a display of 10 iconic swords from visual media. As such, it should have included Excalibur from the movie of the same name.

If it were to have been swords from fiction, its list would have been different. I would have liked to see Grayswandir. And I second Terminus Est from the Books of the New Sun. Stormbringer of course. Graywand and Scalpal (Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser) mayhaps.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
While I agree that Excalibur and Storm-bringer are missing, he doesn't say the Top 10 Most Iconic.... he says 10 of the most, which leads me to think that there are more than just these 10 and these might not be the Top 10.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
i would also say that all but the blood oath seem like good candidates because they are visually recognizable. And, excalibur does have many different visualizations over the years so it might not be easy to pick which one is the most iconic.

Black Razor is missing :p

So make our own list. Some nominations:

1. Excalibur
2. Stormbringer / Mournblade
3. Durandel
4. Narsil / Anduril / Sting / Glamdring / Orcrist
5. Greyswandir
6. Sword of Shannara
7. Greywand / Scalpel
8. Callandor
9. Pick you favorite of 12 Swords of Power
10. Lightsaber