• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10% of brain = 100% stupid

Grog

First Post
If you're a sci-fi fan, you've probably heard or read this several times by now: Average human beings only use about 10% of their brains. Heck, odds are you've probably heard it even if you're not a sci-fi fan, since this idea seems to have sunk into mainstream consciousness, at least in America. But it seems to come up most often in science fiction, when a writer wants to come up with a reason why a certain character has superhuman intelligence or mental powers or whatever. It's easy! He just uses more of his brain than everyone else.

There's just one problem - that 10% figure is complete and utter BS.

We humans use ALL of our brains. Maybe not at every single moment, but over the course of a typical day, an average human will use all or almost all of his or her brain. See here for more.

I don't know how this idea got started, but it annoys me every time I see it. Especially since just a little research is all it takes to show someone it's false. I guess none of these science fiction writers have ever heard of an FMRI.

The most recent place this cropped up was in the Iron Man comic, where it was revealed that Tony Stark uses fully 72% of his brain! Wow. Who knew that one of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe was actually horribly brain damaged?

Sheesh.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It's not that different from the common trope of super intelligent aliens having gigantic brains, and often mishaped (and possibly veiny) skulls to hold them. And yet...if brain size determined intelligence, sperm whales would be our lords and masters.

Joker

First Post
It's not that different from the common trope of super intelligent aliens having gigantic brains, and often mishaped (and possibly veiny) skulls to hold them. And yet...if brain size determined intelligence, sperm whales would be our lords and masters.

They are...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I get a little annoyed by that old trope too. I'm sure it is just recycled from something back in the 1950's!

The most recent place this cropped up was in the Iron Man comic, where it was revealed that Tony Stark uses fully 72% of his brain! Wow. Who knew that one of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe was actually horribly brain damaged?

Sheesh.

:D :D

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
This goes back...The size of the skull/brain was believed to be related to how much a person used it. There was even two collage professors that were so sure they were smarter than each other, that after their deaths they had their brains wieghted and sized to prove it.

As why, I say, Darwin. After his theories started to gain wieght, Academia got behind him, this was the new science. As the new science it became sci-fi and the urban myth was born.

Academia is strange, they get stuff in thier heads and it is a bitch to get them to change their minds. See Shoemaker-Leavy, the whole dino and birds relationship, and a few others.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads