• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10 Sourcebooks: Which Ones Should I Get?

Which of these 10 sourcebooks should I get?

• Arcane Mysteries: Blight Magic (Mystic Eye Games)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chaositech (Malhavoc Press)

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Doom Striders (Bastion Press)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Eldritch Sorcery (Necromancer Games)

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Guilds (AEG)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Into the Green (Bastion Press)

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Secrets (AEG)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • The Complete Guide to Rakshasa (Goodman Games)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • The Deep (Mystic Eye Games)

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Way of the Witch (Citizen Games)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
10 sourcebooks to choose from, which do you recommend and why?

Arcane Mysteries: Blight Magic (Mystic Eye Games)
Chaositech (Malhavoc Press)
Doom Striders (Bastion Press)
Eldritch Sorcery (Necromancer Games)
Guilds (AEG)
Into the Green (Bastion Press)
Secrets (AEG)
The Complete Guide to Rakshasa (Goodman Games)
The Deep (Mystic Eye Games)
Way of the Witch (Citizen Games)

And, yes, I know some of these are 3.0.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
The only two I'm familiar with are Chaositech, which is middlin', and Way of the Witch, which is just stupid broken. (I've heard some people say it's got decent flavor, but ... well, just look at the vitke prestige class for an example of horribly, horribly broken mechanics. It's the worst example in the book, but not the only one.)

Aeolius

Adventurer
I have 3 copies of MEG's "The Deep" on my shelves, but as I run an undersea game my opinion may be slightly biased. ;)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I voted for The Deep too, and Into the Green. A lot of those really sell rules rather than non-system specific content. It depends upon what you want them for.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Of those, I own The Deep and Into the Green. The former is interesting, but messy and, well, not particularly professional. The latter is better, but a lot smaller, hence contains much less stuff.

I wouldn't strongly recommend any on that list, but Into the Green is probably the strongest, based on what I own, what I've read, and what I've heard about the rest.

CsonTep

First Post
I don't usually like to add a lot of new spells to my games, but I do like Eldritch Sorcery, because I do like to add the old spells back. I used this book to give my casters access to spells like STICKS TO SNAKES/SNAKES TO STICKS, MASSMORPH, and other spells adapted from previous editions.

KDM27

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I picked up Into the Green today. I haven't had much of a chance to look at it yet.

MY FLGS also had Blight Magic, Guilds, and The Deep. Of those three, learning about Guilds interests me the most.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Chaositech is great EXCEPT for the construction rules, which make no sense. But unless your players are planning on building them, it may not be a big loss.

The Deep is a nice, beefy sourcebook, best of breed for the subject matter.

Eldritch Sorcery is nice for old school vets who want some old spells that got missed by the combat spell obsessed staff at WotC.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Chaositech is great EXCEPT for the construction rules, which make no sense. But unless your players are planning on building them, it may not be a big loss.
Hmm, this one is getting a lot of praise. I might have to seriously consider it. :hmm:

The gamers I normally play with "love" to build items so that is an aspect I'd have some concern about if the construction rules are completely out of wack.

The Deep is a nice, beefy sourcebook, best of breed for the subject matter.
There seems to be some disagreement about this one. So, what makes it great in your mind?

Eldritch Sorcery is nice for old school vets who want some old spells that got missed by the combat spell obsessed staff at WotC.
I've considered this one for some time. I haven't bought it because I keep telling myself, "How many spell-based books do you need?"

Remove ads