• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

100 (?) Most Confusing/Unclear Rules

Inspired by the "Literalist/Interpretationist" poll thread.

If you're a DM starting a campaign, what are some of the most important rulings to make and let the players know about ahead of time? Things that are unclear, often provoke debates, are exploitable loopholes (Cleave/AOO, Balor sword mining), seem to contradict the game's design principles (Prot Good asymmetry to Prot Evil), or are just nonsensical (the Shillelagh paradox)?

Here's what I can come up with to start. Some of these I consider very clear (such as 12-14) but often mistaken by DMs and players. What else would you add to this list?

Core rules only. The splatbooks seem to have more poorly-worded material and, because there is so much more material in general, so many more confusing interactions of class features, feats, spells, etc.

I'm really not looking for debate on HOW DMs should rule on each one of these, just consensus on a list of things that should be considered before a campaign starts.

Combat and Characters
1. Can a monk take Improved Natural Attack to increase the damage of their unarmed strike?
2. Can an unarmed monk use Two-Weapon Fighting to increase their number of attacks per round?
3. Can you Cleave if you drop a foe with an Attack of Opportunity?
4. Can you Sunder on an Attack of Opportunity?
5. If you initiate a grapple as an Attack of Opportunity, can you take the free actions required to establish the hold?
6. If using a lance 1-handed while mounted, do you gain bonus damage from Strength and Power Attack as normal for a 2-handed weapon?
7. Should a wearer’s Deflection and Dodge bonuses apply to the AC of worn items?
8. If two sides are parleying, and one initiates combat, does that side automatically win initiative?
9. If using Total Defense, do you take a penalty on opposed attack rolls (such as for Disarm or Sunder attempts)?
10. Can rogues gain flanking bonuses when using ranged weapons?
11. How do you determine which combatant is struck when a ranged weapon is fired into a grapple? Are the probabilities equal or are they size-weighted in some way?
12. If you make a melee attack into a grapple, is there a chance to strike the wrong combatant?
13. Do modifiers that apply to attack rolls apply to grapple checks (Combat Expertise, Inspire Courage, etc.)?
14. Does Taking 10 represent taking multiple attempts and so take more time than an ordinary skill check?

Magic and Spells
15. How can a creature identify a given set of actions (speaking and waving arms or screeching and waving paws) as spellcasting (as opposed to recognizing that a specific spell is being cast)?
16. Does Darkness provide shadowy illumination if cast in an area devoid of light?
17. Is there any interaction between interdimensional spaces other than that spelled out in the descriptions of the Bag of Holding and the Portable Hole?
18. Can you Cleave through Mirror Images?
19. What happens if you cast Magic Missile at a target protected by Mirror Image?
20. Do you gain racial Hit Dice if Reincarnated into a form that normally has them?
21. Do you gain the benefits of a Ring of Evasion if wearing medium or heavy armor?
22. Are the caster levels for magic items in the DMG requisites, or simply assumed default caster levels (excluding items such as Ioun Stones)?
23. Are evil summoned creatures able to touch a subject protected by Protection from Good?
24. Does Shillelagh work, even though after it is cast the affected weapon ceases to be a valid target for the spell?
25. Does Break Enchantment remove a Feeblemind effect?
26. Does the minimum caster level requirement for casting spells mean that a 6th-level sorcerer with two negative levels and no other caster level adjustments CANNOT cast Fireball?

Monsters
27. How many Attacks of Opportunity can a hydra take in one round? How many heads attack on each AOO?
28. Do monsters that normally attack exclusively with natural weapons receive iterative grapple checks if their BAB is +6 or higher?
29. Which creatures can be tripped or knocked prone?
30. Are elementals (other than water elementals) affected by Horrid Wilting?
31. Does Shapechanging into a balor demon provide the caster with a Balor's sword?
32. Can a monster have more than one "Half-" template, such as being a half-dragon half-fiend minotaur?
33. Do monsters with the Pounce ability gain a single attack (as normal for a charge) PLUS a full attack, or does the full attack replace the single attack?

I'm not certain how to word the question of which squares you must move to for a charge attack.

roguerouge

First Post
Questions I ask my DM:

Does the caster know if their charm spells worked or not?

Will the DM nerf enchantment spells by how they role play the NPCs reactions to the suggestions of the enchanter?

What precisely will you call "interacting" with an illusion?

Do I need skills knowledge arcane or spellcraft to correctly call that arrow of force smacking into me by its true name?

How much are you going to account for not using player knowledge in your encounter
design? Or are your encounters set up to kill the characters if the players role play their character's ignorance of the traits and vulnerabilities of the less iconic monsters, rather than acting like mini-Rommels? It's one thing to have characters be guided by the myths surrounding the vampire; it's quite another to suggest that they should know the myths surrounding the gibbering mouther.

moritheil

First Post
How powerful is Mind Blank? (Does it render you immune to, say, See Invisible?)

How powerful is True Sight? (Does it let you see through HiPS?)

Do similar but different items that give stacking bonuses stack? What about the same item (i.e. orange ioun stone) multiple times?

FWIW I always believed this matter was clearly resolved as a "no":

23. Are evil summoned creatures able to touch a subject protected by Protection from Good?

Last edited:

The first topics that come to mind...

Magic and Spells:

Which version of Polymorph and Wildshape do you use? Please give explicit information regarding what happens to HP and items.

How much freedom do you allow with the various Wall of X spells?

How do you deal with Frame of Reference problems with spells that are fixed in position?

Does "ground" mean earth/dirt, or just what I'm standing on.

Do you allow godless clerics?

Can a monster activate Su or Sp abilites in an anti-magic field?

Does a monks belt let you add your Wis bonus to AC?

Combat:

How do you deal with monks that have natural weapons/attack sequences?

Can monks flurry and use other unarmed strike abilities while grappling (without a -4 penalty)?

What does "when fighting this way" mean to you in regards to TWF? Do I need to take TWF penalties if I attack with two weapons with no extra attacks? Can I threaten with a weapon withoug taking TWF penalties?

How does the Hide skill work for you? Sniping?

How does Hide in Plain Sight work for you? Does True Seeing negate it?

What type of actions are against a Paladin's code? CDGing? Attacking an unsuspecting enemy?

TYPO5478

First Post
What exactly constitutes an attack for the purposes of negating invisibility?

Does immunity to an ability mean immunity to the condition that ability causes (even in circumstances where the condition is not caused by that ability)?

Does being stunned allow a character to make attacks of opportunity or saves?

Destil

Explorer
Does a rogue get sneak attack on every attack?
(Again, very clear but it comes up a LOT)

How do hide / move silently actually work in play? Vs. Scent? Vs. Tremorsense? Vs. Blnidsense? Blindsight? What do you need to do to hide? What makes you non-hidden?

JiCi

First Post
How about that one ?:

"Can you combine weapon attacks with natural attacks ?"

That's what do get with first-time Anthropomorphic animal PCs (see the signature for details)

(The answer's YES BTW, you take a -5 penalty to attack rolls and add only half your STR bonus to damage)

James McMurray

First Post
Should extremely clear rules (like sneak attack on every swing) be on the list? Is this a list of rules that lots of people aren't able to comprehend despite them being clear, perhaps because they think it's too powerful and so don't believe their eyes? Or is it a list of rules that really are written poorly?

James McMurray said:
Should extremely clear rules (like sneak attack on every swing) be on the list? Is this a list of rules that lots of people aren't able to comprehend despite them being clear, perhaps because they think it's too powerful and so don't believe their eyes? Or is it a list of rules that really are written poorly?
Yeah, I'd include clearly-written rules that, say, 30% or more of DMs typically get wrong.
Melee attack into a grapple is on this list, as is Take 10.

Remove ads