• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

$100 PDF!! Are they nuts!!??

Shadow64

So I noticed here that DriveThru and GoO are offering a PDF of the Game of Thrones Deluxe edition for $99.99. I don't know if this has been covered before...but holy mother of....who would buy such a thing?

Nobody. And nobody's intended to.

I forget specifically who it was, but a spokesman for GoO has gone on public record--over on RPG.net, I believe--stating that they're basically suing DriveThrue as a means of "hosting" the PDF that they're offering (free? discounted? not sure) to those who have already purchased the hardcover. Since they have to price it somewhere to put it on DTRPG, they've priced it the same as the hardcover. While they're happy to sell it to anyone who actually wants it at that price, they don't actually expect to sell any.

Beckett

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Nobody. And nobody's intended to.

I forget specifically who it was, but a spokesman for GoO has gone on public record--over on RPG.net, I believe--stating that they're basically suing DriveThrue as a means of "hosting" the PDF that they're offering (free? discounted? not sure) to those who have already purchased the hardcover. Since they have to price it somewhere to put it on DTRPG, they've priced it the same as the hardcover. While they're happy to sell it to anyone who actually wants it at that price, they don't actually expect to sell any.

This is correct. Since the hardcover version has been so delayed (and the signed copies even further delayed), everyone who pre-ordered the book was also sent a code giving them $100 off the PDF- effectively making the price $0. So, those who preordered, in addition to other bonuses, also get a free PDF.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Beckett said:
This is correct. Since the hardcover version has been so delayed (and the signed copies even further delayed), everyone who pre-ordered the book was also sent a code giving them $100 off the PDF- effectively making the price $0. So, those who preordered, in addition to other bonuses, also get a free PDF.
Like me. :cool: I got a coupon with my purchase of the hardback at GenCon.

D_Sinclair

Banned
Banned
Zappo said:

Obviously because they're too thick in the head to realize they'd probably be able to sell a boatload of PDFs if the blasted thing was reasonably priced.

Unlike Army of Darkness, I won't be at all surprised Game of Thrones appears on p2p inside the next few days, nor would I be surprised if 3/4 of the people who have gone into sticker shock from that PDF price have already checked for it.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Harsh

D_Sinclair said:
Obviously because they're too thick in the head to realize they'd probably be able to sell a boatload of PDFs if the blasted thing was reasonably priced.

That's harsh. Maybe they are waiting for the pre-order thing to get sorted out before offering their pdf at a lower price?

As far as I understand it the PDF is/was a perk for the pre-order gang. If they were to offer the PDF to the general public before to the pre-orders are distributed, they would let the pre-order customers down.

/M

Remove ads