• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1000 Quotes from holy (or unholy) tomes

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
"The world is too complicated to live by aphorisms."

Law, Law, Law

"The key to utter confusion is meticulous planning."

Chaos, Chaos, Chaos.

"Even your reflections weep at your pride."

Humility or possibly war.

It's drawn from this story of a king who went mad.

"I saw his eyes from across the hall, the first eyes to challenge my might since I was but a child. We dueled for hours, but my mind was clouded from the Deceiver's wine of whispered praise, and when the haze faded, I found I had slain my men at arms and every guest in my house. I traced my line of sight to where I had met eyes with my foe, but when I walked to search closer, I found myself staring at a mirror. I reached to feel it, hoping to deny what had happened, but the glass cracked under my fingers, and tears of blood poured from its frame."

Good, Law
"The true test of a man is in how he treats others."

War, Strength
"Power ultimately dirives from the blade of a sword."

Magic, Knowledge
"Some claim that all power comes from strength, put without knowledge, there is no strength."

True Neutral
"At the center lies strength, the edge leads to doom."

Trickery
"Circles within circles, wheels within wheels, feints within feints within feints, that is where victory lies."

Death, Evil
"What is dead may never die, and in strange aeons even death may die."

Someone had to say it.

Shadow64

I'm surpised no one has put this up:

LITANY AGAINST FEAR
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Attributed to:
Berthak Kerraf, High Priest of the Dunes

Any good domain. I think if i had a player who was a cleric and recited this (from memory) before going into combat I would give the party a +1 or +2 against saves versus fear for the day. 10xp to any who can guess the real name of the High Priest of the Dunes.

Remove ads