• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 bad things to happen to good PCs

Eldragon

First Post
In my campaign, there is a particular magic item. It is very powerful, and even more evil. Some members of the party want to destroy it. I am trying to come up with wild and zaney things that will happen to the party if the item is destroyed. I do not want to kill the party outright. That is far too easy (and too good for them).
However otherwise anything else is vaild. It could be minor, like everyone is reduced to 1 size catagory smaller, or major, like all of a sudden the game world shifts to d20 modern.

I do not want to give details about what the item does in case people from my group read this board.

Mostly I am doing this because I like seeing the responses from all the creative people here.

kreynolds

First Post
Here's mine...Each party member permanently radiates a 30-foot radius wild magic zone.

By the way, this would probably be better served in General Discussion.

Eldragon

First Post
Crap. sorry about that. Thats what I get for browsing both forums at once. Any mods out there, please move the thread.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
- Roll 1d10 for their new alignment (10 being the old one).
- Roll on the reincarnation table for their new race.
- Randomly reassign their ability scores.
- Let the Domain of Dread take them (bringing them into the Ravenloft Campaign setting): The Dark Powers see that their pet artifact was destroyed and so they take ones that are responsible
- The destruction generates a vortex, pulling the characters in and expelling them on another plane.

Angcuru

First Post
They are all transformed into Human Rastafarian Bards who specialize in the use of steel drums.

I don't want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don't want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day

Ever since I was a tiny boy
I don't want no candy
I don't need no toy
I took a stick and an old coffee can
I bang on that thing 'til I got
Blisters on my hand because

I don't want to work
I don't want to play

When I get older they think I'm a fool
The teacher told me I should stay after school
She caught me pounding on the desk with my hands
But my licks was so hot
I made the teacher wanna dance
And that's why

I don't want to work
I don't want to play

Listen to this
Every day when I get home from work
I feel so frustrated
The boss is a jerk
And I get my sticks and go out to the shed
And I pound on that drum like it was the boss's head
Because

I don't want to work
I don't want to play

I can bang that drum
Hey, you wanna take a bang at it?
I can do this all day

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Have them trade character sheets but not personallites. So each player would be playing a different character but using the basic personality of their orginal character.

Sixchan

First Post
Gradual or instant amnesia.

Comicly bad luck.

The world goes anime-style (e.g. the baddie reveals his evil plan, and everyone takes fall damage from facefaulting. Or when the fighter goes into the local brothel (as fighters do), he runs out soon after with a massive nosebleed)

Randomly re-assign stats, but across the players, rather than across the attributes. (could end up with a fighter with 20 INT and 8 STR...)

Moleculo

First Post
some body parts switch, like the feet with the hands, or the nose and the mouth maybe

characters develop some random quirks from the DMG's list of quirks (like missing tooth, or righteous)

remove their previous level(s) and randomly give them a new class instead (or even swap for the characters)

they all combine into one person ala Elric and Eternal Champion incarnations, and they each have to control a body part or vie for control.

make it so that the destruction causes the real them to wake up and realize the whole thing was a dream they shared, and make them start roughly converted D20 modern cahracters (like warrior levels go into strong hero, and obvious counterparts and such) who have to figure out what was going on.

World magic shifts to wild magic

Dispells all magic in the world at the caster level of the craetor of the magic item, so a ton, but not all, magic items cease to work.

turn all their gold into fools gold

gender switches

i think thats all i can think of right now

Impeesa

Explorer
Entire world is divided into 5x5 sections, chessboard style, where 'black squares' are antimagic and 'white squares' are normal. Boy, that would make combat tactics interesting...

--Impeesa--

Remove ads