• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 Cool Character Concepts

jdavis

First Post
The wanna be fighter. A sorcerer who wants to be a fighter and uses magic to cover for his lack of physical abilities. Give him a low strength and use weapon finesse, give him spells like true strike and mage armor to cover for his lack of fighting abilities and ability to wear heavy armor. The character wants to be a mighty warrior but he is just not up for the challenge physically, he uses magic to cover his weakness. He is not interested in the magic except to fufill his dream of becoming a mighty warrior.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chun-tzu said:
A D&D version of Iron man......
Thanks! I'm going to steal this one, as I have a nearly complete run of Shellhead's book (only missing 4 Tales of Suspense, which I have in reprint). The recent 3-issue mini-series with him time traveling to the 12th century worked too well not to do some variation of.

And a few more from my own gaming group's history:

A centuar priestess who is partnered with a gnome illusionist. She is devout to her goddess, but also dedicated to protecting him (he saved her village). He is outgoing, but somewhat reckless. He is named "Pockets" as he wears a coat with many dimensional pockets (likes mini-bags of holding) from which he can pull out just about anything you can think of.

And from a recent module (the Story Hour thread "Chinese Take-out", somewhere around Chapter 35) A lawful-neutral half-orc monk whose not-so-nice sister keeps getting into trouble that he has to rescue her from. He is partnered with a gnome monk (both of these were developed from pictures hosted on this Internet site).

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post
thegreatbuddha said:
I always wanted to play an atheist cleric. A charcter whose lack of belief in the gods is so utterly complete that it fuels his own abilities to cast divine spells (cleric class). He would wander the lands, preaching out against the false gods, who feed off of our worship instead of allowing us to reach our full potentials in life.

DMs always get real iffy about that when I bring it up.

Don't know...in a FR campaign I'd just have a chat with you. If the idea is not 'the gods don't exist' but rather "Mystra's not a god, just a powerful being duping you into thinking she's a god!" it could work pretty well. And certain dieties like Cyric would probably even grant you spells, you are certainly spreading chaos.

As for a concept:

A sarcastic, scene stealing nobleman sent out on a dangerous quest. After all, by his own admission he's a great hero (even though other people actually did the stuff he claimed to do). And he's exercised that 'cutting' wit on the wrong person. He's quite a talker and no dunce with a blade, but not even close to what he's claimed, so if he wants to get through this alive with his rep intact, he'll need to find help (who he can later relegate to supporting characters when he's telling the story of his amazing adventure).

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Feel Free to Stat Him Up

Jonathan Tiberius Merriweather Jones

Lawful Neutral Mature Adult Red Dragon

Aristocrat 4/Expert (Cattle Rancher) 5/Fighter 6

Owner of a 10,000 square mile cattle ranch with around 400 employees and lots of cattle, sheep, and similar beasts destined for the barbeque pit and/or Jonathan's belly.

Is conversant in Texan, North Carolinian, Mongolian, Argentine, Dwarven, and Orcish barbecue. Inventor of the barbecue mutton pizza.
-----
Have fun with him.

Olive

Explorer
thegreatbuddha said:
I always wanted to play an atheist cleric. A charcter whose lack of belief in the gods is so utterly complete that it fuels his own abilities to cast divine spells (cleric class). He would wander the lands, preaching out against the false gods, who feed off of our worship instead of allowing us to reach our full potentials in life.

DMs always get real iffy about that when I bring it up.

i'd get iffy too, mostly because of the metaphysics of my campaign world, as opposed to the metaphysics of the real world... but i think there was a faction the planescape that was basically anti-gods.

bryther

First Post
white dragonborn berserker. not too smart (barbarians, y'know) really strong, aggressive, sees combat against lesser opponents as hunting, and weapon of choice is the glaive.

warlock of great old one. origin: conjurer who opened a portal to the far realm and was sucked in. the body remained intact, but his mind was 'redesigned': he forgot who he was, how he got there, and can barely handle all the alien knowledge he possesses. he has a journal with him from before his accident, believing it's from the person who made him this way (it really is, though).

Warforged fighter. a five thousand year old construct that has been reactivated after a long slumber. very protective of his few friends. wields a greathammer.

a werewolf alchemist. a scientist and physician with no remorse for the damage he deals with his experiments. at a certain point, common sense was overcome by curiosity and he allowed himself to be cursed with lycanthropy.

bryther

First Post
a blind cleric who tries to spread the light for people who can perceive it.

a thief who's been in prison since childhood and all records of his existence have been erased. escaped the prison (resembling the prison from the dark knight rises) by killing all the guards and inmates and knotting their intestines together into a rope. (for the hardcore player)

a dragonborn skald with bagpipes.

a sun elven eldritch knigh who used to be a very good duelist, until he lost an arm and a leg in a fireball. magical prostetics prove to be insufficient to restore his physical condition, so he picked up magic to compensate.

a winged, tiefling lurk* who works for the law enforcement of a city, while secretly controlling most of the underworld.
*like an arcane trickster, but with psionics.

a mummy barbarian. that's it

a monk swordsman with a sword passed down in his family for generations. monk swore a vow of silence and therefor never talks.

Lylandra

Adventurer
An awakened kangaroo monk/pugilist who doesn't realize that he/she is nothing like your common humanoid. "What do you mean with 'large legs'???"

The fake Paladin: A common fighter/rogue who has read too many hero stories and now wants to be a paladin. In fact, he's spun his tale so far that he's now certain that he *is* one and goes off doing "typical paladin stuff", like fighting bad boys and collecting money/swooning the ladies for doing the deed.

PrewGamer

First Post
Dante a bard with a literal axe guitar, he has high charisma with plenty of dex and strength to get the job done,he makes a great second hand fighter buffing your main fighter before coming into battle to end things in a pretty spectacular fasion.

Remove ads