• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 Magic Items nobody needs.

noretoc

First Post
Goggles of spot the obvious. +2 to spot any item with a modified spot dc of 0.
Goggle of spot the obvious second function. Once the item has been spotted, a black temporary spot appears on it that can be easily rubbed off.

How about an Everburning Torch that is hot enough to set things on fire, and does consume oxygen? You wouldn't want to put it in your backpack, that's for sure!

Torm said:
Ring of Sleep - when activated by the wearer, causes wearer to take a nap.
Actually, I could see some players abusing the hell out of this item.

Player: "I'm out of spells; let's rest for 8 hours."
DM: "You just woke up an hour ago. There's no way you could fall asleep now."
Player: "Then I'll use my Ring of Sleep."

Better make it a Ring of Restless Sleep. They fall asleep, but do not recover from fatigue or regain spells, and can be woken by the slightest disturbance (so you can't even trick someone into using it and then coup-de-grace them).

Actually, though, a lot of these items sound really nice for flavor. I've been planning a low-magic campaign for a while now; maybe these are the sort of things I'll have for sale in 'magick shoppes'. Little more than curiosities, but very useful to a clever PC under the right circumstances.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Unkabear said:
jdrakeh said:
Bottle of Hair.
QUOTE]

Hey I know a couple of good plot hooks for that one.

Belt of needless encumbrance - belt automatically readjusts its weight to the maximum allowable weight carried by a person with strength one higher than your own.
Ah, a weight belt for diving or drowning people.

+1 amulet of corn chewing. It gives you a +1 to chew corn and spit it out to ferment it for a weird beer.
+1 stone of flint knapping. It gives +1 to flint knap. Flint only.

Andor

First Post
Hammock of Sharpness
Harp of the Scots (A magic harp enchanted to sound like bagpipes.)
Gauntlets of Orge Stench
Orb of Clairtactilance (allows you to touch at a distance)
Mirror of Invisibility
Vecna's Navel Lint

Dross

Explorer
An early Dragon Mag article (<100?) had a list of uselss magic items, or harmful to the user of magic items. Probably from the April editions.

Ring of Spell Turning: Whenever a spell is cast at the wearer, the ring would vocalise "Turning, T-U-R-N-I-N-G, Turning".

Staff of Striking: When used to attack, this staff stops moving and become a plackard with slogans like "On Strike, PCs unfair to weapons"

Spell of Dwirge's Instant Death: Whenever someone casts this spell, someone called Dwirge dies instantly.

awayfarer

First Post
Pants of Painful Closure: A pair of trousers with the bad tendency to zip themselves up at inconvenient times.

Soup of Hotness: This thick chicken noodle soup remains eternally piping hot. Better eat something else while you wait for it to cool down.

Mask of Invisibility: This completely transparant mask grants no penalty to disguise checks and does not confer invisibility to the wearer.

Sword of Forgetfulness: Now where did I leave that?

Decanter of Endless Teacups: Now you have something to drink your water out of. If only this decanter poured water.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Ring of Ass Kicking. Once per day this ring summons four first level commoners which immediately try to grapple you. They last two rounds.

Gem of Wood. This exquisitely carved wood is gem shaped.

pawsplay

Hero
Boots of Dwarvenkind - Very sturdy! A little loud, though.

Wand of Sour Balls - Summons a small, bead-like piece of sour gum that detonates into a huge sour explosion in your mouth

Ring of Truth - Causes falsehoods to sound convincing. -10 to Sense Motive.

+1 merciful sap

Quaal's Feather Quill Token - when dipped in ink, perfectly reproduces the motions of the user as lines on paper. Lasts 24 hours, then vanishes.

Tomb of Clear Thought - Death grants a sober reflection on life.

Remove ads