• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

101 roleplaying descriptions justifying martial dailies

Storminator

First Post
Character's don't have to understand the exact number of healing surges they have, or the percentage chance they have to hit an enemy. Same with fighters "knowing" that if their "reliable" Daily Power hits they are not only not able to do that effect again for an entire day but will have a discrete predictable bonus to that action.

What are you talking about?!

PS

Attachments

• roysSword.jpg
    roysSword.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 125

Wow.

I didn't expect this thread to be so controversial, have such commentary and so little actual roleplaying descriptions. That's cool though.

The reason I posted this is that I prefer 3e to 4e, and one of the reasons is I feel that the game of 4e breaks the narrative too often (for me, obviously not for others).

So, I was attempting to "patch" what I saw was something that needed patching (again, for me, and not for all).

For me, fighter dailies are like spells. Someone mentioned using their martial powered uberdevice to blow up the world. So while they feel like spells, clearly they are, or should be different thematically. I'd like to have the cleanest story justification for my own personal immersion in my character.

Here's my biggest gripe with the 4e rules:
For me, 4e constantly jolts me out of my character when I do things that are clearly designed to be fun "battlemap game powers" with the fluff sort of cast to the side. Examples are fighter dailies, an immediate interrupt of teleporting across the board when someone swings at an ally, and other when x guy goes down you get this power (even if it isn't your turn) powers.

I don't think they're bad design or that they can't even be "adequately fluffed" to my liking. So I decided to tackle on of the most obvious and frequent ones, fighter dailies.

For me, while I can separate what I do as a player and what I do with my character, the less barrier that is there, the more I feel connected to my character and like I am playing a part rather than moving a piece. It's my favorite part of playing, actually.

So I hope that explains a bit of the rationale behind this thread, why I latched onto the subject (along with the limitations) from the other thread, and why I currently prefer 3e.

-Aberzanzorax

ST

First Post
Wow.

I didn't expect this thread to be so controversial, have such commentary and so little actual roleplaying descriptions. That's cool though.

The reason I posted this is that I prefer 3e to 4e, and one of the reasons is I feel that the game of 4e breaks the narrative too often (for me, obviously not for others).

So, I was attempting to "patch" what I saw was something that needed patching (again, for me, and not for all).

It was pretty clear that was your intent from the start, which is probably why you got more commentary than examples.

I respect the idea of it, but for me anyway, the only 'reason' that matters is the one that comes out of the in-game fiction at the moment the power's used. Usually for me those are as simple as "Seeing that the orc's off balance, I sweep him off his feet. (Power Name)" or something like that.

Trying to come up with some general rules like, say, 3.5's magic system, that's a well-trod path of discussion here. :)

Rechan

Adventurer
Usually for me those are as simple as "Seeing that the orc's off balance, I sweep him off his feet. (Power Name)" or something like that.
Yeah. I've never been in a group where there's more description than that, unless I try to pull teeth and get it out of them.

Except for Exalted, where the more description, the higher stunt bonus you got.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

For me, the fact that it needs to be "patched" at all is a problem.

The Vancian "fire-and-forget" system just is not an excellent system for modeling many things aside from, well, Jack Vance, and maybe card games. ;)

Reality doesn't work that way (which is why it's a problem with martial power, the most "realistic" of the powers, more than it is with anything else).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads