• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

$120 Store Credit -- What would you buy?

JesterPoet

First Post
Okay, I'm looking for ideas again.

My ULGS (yes... U) has a $120 store credit waiting for me that I have built up over time. It's time to spend it now. My guess is that all their gaming books are going to be retail price, but I have to use that credit somehow, and I don't want to use it on comics.

So, what would you buy, and why, if the credit was yours? I'd ask what I should buy, but none of you really know what I like, so that's kind of pointless. I'm just looking for ideas and this seems a good way to do it. Though, if you want to make direct recommendations for me, be my guest.

I have all the core books 3.0 & 3.5. I'm not a big fan of Splat Books, and I limit my players a lot in what PrC's (if any) I allow them to take. Most of my GMs do this as well.

Here are a few things I'm considering:

Unearthed Arcana
Midnight Campaign Setting
d20 Modern
(maybe waiting for the new Paranoia)

So, there you have it. Anyone?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
JesterPoet said:
Okay, I'm looking for ideas again.

My ULGS (yes... U) has a $120 store credit waiting for me that I have built up over time. It's time to spend it now. My guess is that all their gaming books are going to be retail price...

So, what would you buy, and why, if the credit was yours?

If I was a player, who had GMs who pick up the needed books, I'd pick up a starter's painting set and a bunch character-oriented miniatures. You'd be amazed at all of the cool character ideas you get while relaxing and painting miniatures for your games and your GMs should appreciate you helping out in that way. See if your gamestore has a discount minis bin, too. You can probably pick up a whole bunch. If you don't like painting, get some of the new D&D miniatures.

JesterPoet

First Post
Mark said:
If I was a player, who had GMs who pick up the needed books, I'd pick up a starter's painting set and a bunch character-oriented miniatures. You'd be amazed at all of the cool character ideas you get while relaxing and painting miniatures for your games and your GMs should appreciate you helping out in that way. See if your gamestore has a discount minis bin, too. You can probably pick up a whole bunch. If you don't like painting, get some of the new D&D miniatures.

I'd do that, but I've already got tons of minis in line to be painted, both for myself and friends. And, actually, this store is more of a comic store than a game store. Most things they order me will be special orders. They have no minis, and no mini bin... :(

Xeriar

First Post
One by one, I've been slowly converting my friends to Exalted. Eight now.

Go ahead, do it, take the plunge. It is inevitable.

JesterPoet said:
Here are a few things I'm considering:

Unearthed Arcana
Midnight Campaign Setting
d20 Modern
(maybe waiting for the new Paranoia)

So, there you have it. Anyone?
Wow, yeah, get all of those. I'm very happy with all three of those books.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I'd recommend Unearthed Arcana, certainly. I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

If you're going to pick up d20 Modern, also pick up the Menace Manual. I'd say get Urban Arcana too, for the extra rules, but don't pay retail price for it. On the other hand, if you can get the Modern Player's Companion, pick it up. Worth every penny.

You've said you dislike splats, but I'd still recommend Complete Warrior. It's a very solid book.

Remove ads