13th Age 2E update!

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Well, I just got an email today about the start of the Kickstarter for 13th Age 2E. Looks like the date is set for May 7th and it'll be in two books according to the email.

Completely forgot about the Playtest packets I emailed for last year ago.

Beta Packet seems to be both books or something together

And yes, everything is still compatible with 2E from the small preview in the May 7th email.

So guess that means with playing 13th age, I'll combine 2E with Glorantha+13th age 2E+Primeval Thule+Midgard 13th age.
When you say beta packet are you referring to the first playtest packet, or something newer?

Zaukrie

New Publisher

We’re going to do a shorter playtest window on the Beta Packet, which we’ll release during the crowdfunding campaign to backers and already-enrolled playtesters. We’ll focus our feedback requests on some of the newest elements, including the musically talented bard, the simmering barbarian, rushing rogues, overspill-effect sorcerers, and drastic dragons.

The 2nd edition preview document that they sent out after the kickstarter announcement to folks who had done alpha testing uses the term "arc" instead of "day" for the time between full heal-ups.
Has that ever not functionally been the case in 13th Age? Getting a night's sleep doesn't count as a full reset rest until the GM says so, and that's based on how much your resources have been taxed and/or the oppositions plans have advanced rather than the day of the week changing. "Arc" is a better term than day for that, but it doesn't seem like a change mechanically, just better phraseology.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Has that ever not functionally been the case in 13th Age? Getting a night's sleep doesn't count as a full reset rest until the GM says so, and that's based on how much your resources have been taxed and/or the oppositions plans have advanced rather than the day of the week changing. "Arc" is a better term than day for that, but it doesn't seem like a change mechanically, just better phraseology.
Phraseology that I was previously unable to avoid pointing out the absurdity of at nearly every opportunity in play. So, yes, small change for most sane people. Big change for my 13th Age GMs.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Fair enough. We certainly had enough of the One-Encounter Workday guff back in 4e too.

Selling something as daily, when the day lasts a weeks long boat ride with another solar day after deboating before we get to the next battle was painful. Calling it arc should change a lot in terms of perception of what characters can do, especially when D&D has actual dailies and that's where a lot of us were coming from there.

I wonder if it could also serve as a reason the non adventurers aren't doing them all the time - it's a heroic adventuring (aka arc undertaking) thing.

Last edited:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Selling something as daily, when the day lasts a weeks long boat ride with another solar day after deboating before we get to the next battle was painful. Calling it arc should change a lot in terms of perception of what characters can do, especially when D&D has actual dailies and that's where a lot of us were coming from there.
Yeah, this took a while for my players to get used to. I started calling it a full refresh instead of a day just to try to set expectations. Arc is a better term imo.

Remove ads