• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

13th Age: what would you like to see next?

Dungeoneer

First Post
Well, 13 True Ways is out, at least in PDF form, and the Bestiary should start shipping in book form at any moment. These two books deliver new classes, new monsters, new items and lots and lots of backstory about the Dragon Empire.

13TW as much as promises an item-focused book of some sort. [MENTION=4030]Kender42[/MENTION] posted a letter from Rob Heinsoo to 13TW backers talking about a subscription 'annual' along the lines of Dragon magazine and hinting at future books, including one possibly revolving around Icons. Rob's letter talks about more maps, racial feats, icon feats, rules for dragon riding and icon stats.

So, what would you like to see? If you could decide what would be in the next 13th Age book or magazine, what would be in it?

Here is my partial wishlist. This is by no means exhaustive, as I could think of tons of cool stuff, but this is what I would really like to see in the immediate future:

• More complex options for the 'simple' classes (Barbarian, Paladin and Ranger).
  • More guidance for GMs on Icon rolls and improvisational play.
  • More original classes like the Chaos Mage and the Occultist.
  • Alternative Icons or further information on historical icons (13TW mentions a monk icon).
  • More aberrant monsters.
  • Suggestions for incorporating icons in non-Dragon Empire campaigns.
  • A 13th Age spin on 'skill challenges' (ie non-combat situations like engaging in diplomacy, following clues, navigating in the wilderness, closing a portal, etc).
  • Spells that can only be cast as rituals.

What's on your wishlist?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I have to type this without the benefit of having seen 13 True Ways.

Like a lot of others, I'm still trying to work out how to use Icons in a way that suits my games. MY FR campaigns normally involve a mixture of power groups and the machinations of deities - without those deities appearing, of course - and I am still not sure how to blend that in with the Icons system. A little bit more advice about including deities as Icons, in particular, would be helpful.

As per [MENTION=91777]Dungeoneer[/MENTION]'s post, I would like to see more new options for barbarians, rangers, and paladins, but also fighters and rogues. I would even like to see completely new takes on all of them.

Finally, I would love a character generator whether in online, offline, or app form. We're so used to DDi and we miss being able to muck around with a character using the character generator. Fortunately, 13th Age is not so complicated that it needs this but it would be nice to have.

Shadeydm

First Post
Great question.
Love your list btw.
The cities detailed in 13TW has whetted my appetite for more information about the campaign setting. I don't mean just what we see on the map either. I'd love to see the areas off the map too maybe cover the rest of the continent? I wouldn't mind seeing some new classes.
I also wish Primeval Thule would hurry up and come out I feels like it's way overdue!

Dungeoneer

First Post
I have to type this without the benefit of having seen 13 True Ways.

Like a lot of others, I'm still trying to work out how to use Icons in a way that suits my games. MY FR campaigns normally involve a mixture of power groups and the machinations of deities - without those deities appearing, of course - and I am still not sure how to blend that in with the Icons system. A little bit more advice about including deities as Icons, in particular, would be helpful.
13TW doesn't really address the issue of how to incorporate Icons into your games directly. Which is too bad because you aren't alone in struggling with that, I think. It's definitely not obvious how you use icons in non-Dragon Empire settings. I wrestled with how one would go about a Points of Light conversion. Coming up with a list of powerful NPCs and saying "these are the new icons" doesn't really cut it!

So yeah, I would like to see lots more information and advice on this.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I think a full Icons sourcebook is in the docket, actually, so that may provide additional help for using them in play.

I'd like some alternate setting outlines--I'm sure Ken Hite is busy on 0th Age and other projects, but get him to knock together a Universal Monsters/Hammer Horror/Ravenloft /Castlevania homage. :)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Yeah, judging by the number of questions I see about Icons, I suspect an Icon book/essay/series of articles would be well and truly worthwhile.

I would also like to see some other settings. There's a lot to like about the 13th Age setting but it's not one I would use for a variety of reasons that ranged from the petty - I don't like some of the names like Santa Cora - to slightly more reasoned - I have hated generic clerics for 33+ years: I like my pantheons - but, suffice to say, it simply does not work for me.

I would particularly love to see FFG's wonderful d20 settings - Midnight, Dawnforge, and Dragonstar - all converted to 13th Age. Frankly, I think all of them would suit the ruleset perfectly, including the Icons.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
World Gazettes with a break down like:
  • Government / Icon
  • Important Places
  • Places of Interest
  • Regional Monsters
  • Power Groups & Cults

Dungeoneer

First Post
Adventure support.
You should check out the 13thAge.org Vault for a handful of adventures, including ASH LAW's Crown of the Lich King. 13 True Ways gives enough detail on the 'Wild Garden' that it could be turned into an adventure pretty rapidly.

Pelgrane Press is apparently cooking up a bunch of stuff too which should be out soon: The Eyes of the Stone Thief, Shadows of Eldolan and Shards of the Broken Sky are all the names of adventures which are on their way.

In other words you, sir, are definitely getting your wish!

Uskglass

First Post
I'd like to see an alternative campaign setting, with it's own Icons and lore. Possibly moving away from the high fantasy paradigm.

Remove ads