#161 - A Touch of Madness

Zaukrie

New Publisher
While I like this adventure, and am glad to have it in 4e, the fact that we are only a couple of months into paying for dungeon, and we only get 2 adventures (despite the ads saying we'll get three) and one of them is a reprint disappoints me.

I'll be using this, and it will save me from having to convert it, but come on WotC.

Phaezen

First Post
As a side note, were the two followup adventures ever released for 3.5? Can't seem to find them on the website.

Seems like my small onceoff running of Last Breaths of ashenport is going to become a short far realms based campaign - going to run the party through Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams (upgrade it to level 9) and then through the Ioun Trilogy.

Phaezen

Shroomy

Adventurer
As a side note, were the two followup adventures ever released for 3.5? Can't seem to find them on the website.

Seems like my small onceoff running of Last Breaths of ashenport is going to become a short far realms based campaign - going to run the party through Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams (upgrade it to level 9) and then through the Ioun Trilogy.

Phaezen

They never released the other two parts, as this was basically one of the last 3.5e adventures in Dungeon.

Didn't the editorial state that this adventure was originally a 4e adventure, then it was translated to 3.5e, and now it has been translated back to 4e.

catsclaw227

First Post
It's always been my understanding that Lvl 20 3.5 = Lvl 20 4e, not Lvl 30 4e.

Basically they put the Epic Level Handbook into the core of 4e.
This may be the case. I don't know.

I did notice that the kind of encounters that are at the end of the Age of Worms adventure path are the kinds of encounters that would fall in the Epic tier.

For example, the 10th adventure is normally set for 18th level PCs, it has an encounter with a two Fire Giants with 4 levels of fighter and a huge Old Blue Dragon (CR 18). In 4e, the two giants would be like adding 4 levels to a basic Fire Giant, so they would be 22nd level creatures (worth 4150 XP each), adn the dragon would be between Elder and Ancient, so maybe a 22nd level Solo (20,750xp) making the encounter about so for 5 PCs this is like a 24th level encounter. Perfect for the level of encounter that they will be when this adventure rolls around.

catsclaw227

First Post
Didn't the editorial state that this adventure was originally a 4e adventure, then it was translated to 3.5e, and now it has been translated back to 4e.
I didn't catch that. Was this in the editorial for this month or the March issue?

Either way, I don't feel slighted in the least, if anything, I look at it as an example to compare my own conversions. In my case, more of a toolbox. :)

Shroomy

Adventurer
I didn't catch that. Was this in the editorial for this month or the March issue?

Either way, I don't feel slighted in the least, if anything, I look at it as an example to compare my own conversions. In my case, more of a toolbox. :)

Yep, it was this months editorial:

“Touch of Madness” was conceived over a year ago as a 4th Edition adventure, before we really knew what 4th Edition adventures would look like. We had broad ideas (bigger encounter areas, more varied monsters, and we knew they’d be easier to run), but that’s it. Rob then reverse engineered it to be a 3E adventure, then updated it to 4th Edition. Confusing, I know.

Dungeon Editorial: Dungeon #161

Shroomy

Adventurer
BTW, I'm paging through the adventure, an on pg. 83 (12 of the pdf), are a whole gaggle of half-orcs. It looks like the half-orc racial power is:

Half-Orc Resilience
When first bloodied, Vaymeer gains 10 temporary hit
points.

Remove ads