$17,000 bucks for a two-hour plane ride?

Water Bob

Adventurer
It just hit me. Luke and Ben promised Han 17,000 credits to take them from Tatooine to Alderaan.

Looking around the net, the consensus is that it took the trip took about 2 hours (some people argue about 2 days).

Luke says that a ship can almost be bought for 17,000 credits. In the D6 Star Wars RPG, a used ship costs 25,000 (which fits Luke's statement).

Man, isn't that a lot of dough to cough up for a 2 hour ride?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There was that whole "avoiding Imperial entanglements" thing which bumped the cost up.

I didn't get the impression it was only two hours. Admittedly, SW travel speeds are incredibly fast and travel across the galaxy is usually dealt with by a quick screen wipe, unless something dramatic occurs en route.

Ryujin

Legend
Imagine that was $17,000.00 for a flight from London, to Moscow, in an executive jet, without going through customs. So you could buy the jet. Could you fly it? How do you bypass customs?

Water Bob

Adventurer
I didn't get the impression it was only two hours.

There's lots of debate on it, if you look around. The prevailing consensus seems to be about 2 hours, but there's also plenty of arguments for about 2 days.

I'll note, with the D6 Star Wars RPG, the original base travel time between Tatooine and Alderaan is 7 days. Given Han's 8D Astrogation skill at the time, He could cut that down by 5 days easily (still having a 96% chance of avoiding a hyperspace mishap. That's 8D rolling 20+.) So, 2 days would seem about right, according to the game.

Then, errata came out, and all the "day" figures in First Edition became "hour" figures. So, the base trip from Tatooine to Alderaan became 7 hours. Using Han's Astrogation skill, that becomes 2 hours.

So, the rpg supports either opinion (2 days or 2 hours).

I think I'm partial to the "days" figure, but it does seem, watching the movies, that hyperspace travel is certain extremely fast. I could buy and argument to use the "hours" figure easily.

SIDE NOTE QUESTION FOR [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] - I've noticed that you change the tag for my Star Wars posts quite often from "Star Wars" to SAGA. Am I reading the tag wrong? I thought "Star Wars" was for all things Star Wars, and "SAGA" was meant for the d20 SAGA version of the rules.

Is that incorrect?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Imagine that was $17,000.00 for a flight from London, to Moscow, in an executive jet, without going through customs. So you could buy the jet. Could you fly it? How do you bypass customs?

It also takes time to buy a ship and they were in a big hurry. When you're the only ride in town and you have two people in a hurry to get out of it, you can set the price as high as you like. They either pay it, or stay put.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
SIDE NOTE QUESTION FOR [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] - I've noticed that you change the tag for my Star Wars posts quite often from "Star Wars" to SAGA. Am I reading the tag wrong? I thought "Star Wars" was for all things Star Wars, and "SAGA" was meant for the d20 SAGA version of the rules.

Is that incorrect?

I've never changed any of your thread tags.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Looking around the net, the consensus is that it took the trip took about 2 hours (some people argue about 2 days).

2 hours? I don't think so.

Alderaan is in the Core worlds. Tatooine is in the Outer Rim. If it only took 2 hours go get from one to the other, the Outer Rim would not be lawless. Moreoever, if that kind of trip is so short, how fast the Millennium Falcon is wouldn't be important enough to mention in the movie. Plus, do you sit down to a game that looks like chess (so, long), or hand out and do training exercises if your entire trip is only going to be a couple of hours? Probably not. The scenes on the Falcon suggest settling-in time, to me.

By Saga Edition rules, travel times are what the GM says they are supposed to be. In the Star Wars d20 rules, the base time from Outer Rim to Core is, I believe, 96 hours (4 days), multiplied by your engine class. The Falcon is typically taken to have a highly modified engine, with a 0.5 multiplier - that brings the time down to 2 days. Though hyperdrive classes and multipliers are not mentioned directly in canon at this point.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Falcon is typically taken to have a highly modified engine, with a 0.5 multiplier .

Yeah, that's the common way to explain "point five past light speed". I used it in WOIN for Star Wars style hyperdrives.

Remove ads