• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

17th level Gestalt Barbarian/????

foxwick

First Post
The character is for a short adventure, and there will only be three PCs, so my barbarian would essentially be the front line. I believe one of the players is planning a Druid, and I don't know about the third guy.

I'm strongly considering making it a Minotaur (ECL 8 from LA +2 and 6HD)./ The DM is allowing us to split ECL costs evenly from the start of the progression, so 4 levels on each gestalt side would go towards Minotaur, and then I'd have 13 levels of classes.

I want to be more useful than just a meat-shield, so my first thought was Barbarian/Scout - but I'm worried that moving around constantly to Skirmish won't make for a dependable front line. That said, the idea of a really sneaky, but Large, Minotaur charging out of hiding towards foes appealed to me.

All sources are open, but WotC ones will be easier for the DM to approve.

I would love to hear comment and/or tips on the Bbn/Scout or suggestions for a different second class/progression.

javcs

First Post
Stats?

For a front-liner, scout wouldn't be that great, for stealthy, you could try ranger, or rogue. Ranger might be more useful than rogue, though.

foxwick

First Post
Ah, right. 32-point buy.

Other relevant stuff I should have mentioned:
- non-evil
- 350,000gp to spend on magic items, but not more than 150,000gp on any
one item
- may NOT buy any of the 'Manual/Tomes' that perminantly add to
stats

foxwick

First Post
javcs said:
Stats?

For a front-liner, scout wouldn't be that great, for stealthy, you could try ranger, or rogue. Ranger might be more useful than rogue, though.

Since I'd get the minotaur+bbn levels BAB and HD, attacks and hit points would be decent. I think I would be short on melee feats though, for that level.

The scout gets Hide as a class skill, similiar stealthy stuff, so I'm puzzled - how would the rogue or ranger be more stealthy than the scout?

TheGogmagog

First Post
If you have the points to support wisdom, Cleric. Righeous Might and Divine power and then Rage on top of your +8 str !?!?! Plus additional down time healing, group buffs and so on, and strong will saves.

If not, maybe a psionic class that uses strength and or con which should nicely augment fighting. I don't do much psionics so can't offer anything on that.

Barring those I would probably decide between rogue and scout. They might not need you to stand and tank.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
foxwick said:
The character is for a short adventure, and there will only be three PCs, so my barbarian would essentially be the front line. I believe one of the players is planning a Druid, and I don't know about the third guy.

I'm strongly considering making it a Minotaur (ECL 8 from LA +2 and 6HD)./ The DM is allowing us to split ECL costs evenly from the start of the progression, so 4 levels on each gestalt side would go towards Minotaur, and then I'd have 13 levels of classes.

I want to be more useful than just a meat-shield, so my first thought was Barbarian/Scout - but I'm worried that moving around constantly to Skirmish won't make for a dependable front line. That said, the idea of a really sneaky, but Large, Minotaur charging out of hiding towards foes appealed to me.

All sources are open, but WotC ones will be easier for the DM to approve.

I would love to hear comment and/or tips on the Bbn/Scout or suggestions for a different second class/progression.

Go with a Psychic Warrior. Benefits are:

Five bonus feats, which you can also choose from the psionic list. (Deep impact anybody?)5th level powers allow some nice tricks and emergency maneuvers. Casting is based off of Wisdom, which you do not have a penalty to.

Alternately, you might try a Wilder. Seven powers, with a maximum of 6th level. Take Psionic Overland Flight (for closing to melee on fliers), Energy Adaptation, Touchsight, Vigor, Offesnsive Precognition, Energy Retort, and Defensive Precognition. Have a good Will save. (And let's face it, as a barbarian you need a good will save.) Surging Euphoria helps in combat. Elude touch helps you avoid wizard rays. Disadvantage is that casting is based off of charisma, meaning you need a high stat there.

foxwick

First Post
Hmm - I've never played a Psionic character - maybe this is the oppportunity to learn. I'll investigate those.

As for the cleric - hadn't considered it because of the Druid (i.e. Two divine casters). But the synergies might make it worth it anyways.

I'll try to find out what the 3rd fellow is planning to see if we really need a front line. If he's doing anything other than a wizard, then my options greatly increase.

Stalker0

Legend
For gestalt, rogue is great. You can combine your raw force with sneak attack, it boots your reflex save, gives you a butt ton more skill points, gives you evasion if you get some mithral medium armor, and some cool high level rogue abilities. I would recommend slippery mind, that will help your lowest save (will), so you'll be good to go all around.

javcs

First Post
Ah, I put that badly - I meant that for a lone front-liner, Rogue or Ranger (classes roughly equally as stealthy as a Scout) would probably be more effective than a Scout, which has to keep moving.
That said, the Animal Companion would be very helpful, providing flanking bonuses, and if you pick rogue, sneak attack opportunities.
Though, the group sounds like it's going to be low-healing capability, so you might want to go for a class with healing spells, if you've got the points to spring for the key stat.

With Psionics, Physic Warrior is fun, Soulknife is handy too - maybe see if your DM'll let you manifest your mindblade as a greataxe or something.

Strength - 16
Constitution - 12
Dexterity - 8
Intelligence - 4
Wisdom - 8
Charisma - 6
Before buying points.

Strength - 22 (6)
Constitution - 18 (6)
Dexterity - 15 (8) (assuming light armor)
Intelligence - 10 (6)
Wisdom - 10 (2)
Charisma - 10 (4)
Plus 3 stat increases for level.

[Edit: Stalker0 has a good idea with Rogue + Slippery Mind]

foxwick

First Post
Had to go refresh my memory on Slippery Mind - that could work well too.

Ok, I definitely have to go read Complete Psionics - I'll be back. :)

If I don't go the Psionics route, then I'm thinking Bbn/Rog if there's a wizard, and Bbn/Scout if there is not.

This will be a very short adventure - one or two long sessions. So long-term healing is not a concern for the party - we'll likely buy some healing wands or such.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads