• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

18th lvl Arcane Trickster. Now What?

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Hey gang.

My Arcane Trickster just hit 18th lvl ((Rog3/Wiz[Ill]5/ArT10). In our group he is the only Rogue, so his infiltration skills are very important. He was one of two Arcane casters (the other was a Sorcerer), but the other one died and the player made a new character that is some sort of divine Warlock. So now he is the only arcane caster (Illusionist with Evocation and Necromancy given up), so those abilities are equally important.

I have two issues. One that is immediate, and one that is swiftly looming.

Let's take the looming one first, since it is most important.... What character class should I take next? I would like something that will advance both rogue and Arcane abilities.

Right now the only thing that seems to fit the bill is Daggerspell Mage. Unfortunately my guy is a rapier wielder, and dual dagger use is not really in his future. And the fact that he would lose a level of arcane casting is a drawback.

Can anyone suggest a prestige class that fits the bill? Any source could be usable, including home-brewed if it is reasonably balanced.

The second issue is what feat he should take at 18th level. Nothing is really calling out to me... His current feat selection is; Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot (he uses lots of ray spells), Stealthy, Weapon Finesse, Scribe Scroll, Silent Spell, and Arcane Strike.

I am leaning toward Mobile Spellcasting, but am also entertaining Razing Strike (constructs). But like I said, neither of those is really singing to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Herzog

Adventurer
I would suggest Unseen Seer from Complete Mage.

It has continued spellcasting progression, Sneak Attack progression at 1,4,7 and 10, and allows you to add Divination spells from other classes to your spell list. At second level, you get Silent Spell as a bonus feat.

You should be able to meet the requirements:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Hide 8 ranks, Search 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, Spot 8 ranks.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least two divination spells.

Downside: You get 'Divination Spellpower'. This basically is an increase in caster level for your divination spells, at lvl 3, 6 and 9. This sounds ok, until you learn this comes at the cost of REDUCING your caster level by the same amount for all other arcane spells. (actually, the combination of +1 spellcaster level and reduced caster level because of Divination Spellpower' means your casterlevel for divination spells increases by 2 at that specific level, while your caster level for other spells isn't increased at all)

Anyway, it's what I would choose to continue an Arcane Trickster.
Any other pointers would require more detailed character info. A complete statblock would be nice....

FEADIN

Explorer
If you take Unseen Seer for 2 levels you loose nothing, you hit 20th and you can go back to AT for Epic levels.....

parinho7

First Post
i agree, take 2 levels of unseen seer take as a bonus spell from advanced learning "hunter's eye" from ph2 (+5d6 sneak attack).

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
A lot of good suggestions. I will see if anyone I know has a copy of Complete Mage, as Unseen Seer sounds like it would fit the bill.

And yeah, I know that some of my feats are sub-optimal, but I am willing to suck those up.

Here's my full character, if it helps for feat suggestions.

===============================

Male Human Rog3/Wiz5/ArT10; CR 18;
Medium Humanoid (human);
HD 15d4+3d6+90; hp 149;
Init +14; Spd 40 ft/x4;
AC 30 (+7 armor, +2 shield, +8 dex, +3 deflection), touch 21, flat-footed 22;
Base Atk/Grapple +9/+9;
Full Atk +21/+16 free draw, +2 init, +7 if drawn (1d6+12;18-20/x2, Eager Rapier of Warning), +13/+8 converts spells (1d6+4;20/x2, Runestaff of Passage), +18/+13 +4 sneak in wilderness, trackless step (1d4+1;19-20/x2, Wilderness Dagger of Returning), +17/+12 Two-handed (*;20/x2, Ray), +17/+12 Two-handed (1d6;20/x3, Shortbow);
SA&SQ Trap Sense(Ex), Evasion(Ex), Sneak Attack, Trapfinding(Ex), Familiar, Alertness, Illusionist, Ranged Legerdemain(Su), Impromptu Sneak Attack;
SR 0; AL NG; SV Fort +14, Ref +23, Will +14;
Str 10(+0), Dex 26(+8), Con 20(+5), Int 26(+8), Wis 7(-2), Cha 12(+1);
Skills: Balance¹ +18, Climb¹ +11, Concentration¹ +26, Decipher Script +15, Disable Device +34, Escape Artist¹ +17, Hide¹ +34, Knowledge (arcana) +25, Knowledge (the planes) +12, Move Silently¹ +25, Open Lock +29, Search¹ +34, Sleight of Hand +14, Spellcraft +27, Spot¹ +8, Tumble +19.
Feats: Improved Initiative (PH 96), Point Blank Shot (PH 98), Precise Shot (PH 98), Stealthy (PH 101), Weapon Finesse (PH 102), Scribe Scroll (PH 99)², Silent Spell (PH 100), Arcane Strike (CW 96), Practiced Spellcaster (CAr 82) (Wizard), Mobile Spellcasting (CAd 111).

Herzog

Adventurer
Since you already have practiced spellcaster, and it is currently only compansating for 3 lvls of rogue, the first drop in caster level due to Divination Spellpower would be negated by Practiced Spellcaster.
You could, therefore, take up to 5 levels of Unseen Seer without caster level impact (other than an increase for divination)

However, since you'll be epic after two levels, the advise given to go into epic progession would be my choice.
Unless your group doesn't use the Epic Rules, of course.

Remove ads