• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1936 - Pulp Heroes

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
A time before the Second Great War. A time when Earl of Greystoke and The Phantom rules the wilderness of Africa, when Dr. Jones uncovers the Ark of the Covenant and Vito Corleone is fast becoming a force to be reckoned with.

A time when Africa is full of ancient and powerful artefacts and secluded valleys where dinosaurs roam, when insane Nazi scientists create impossible weapons and Kraken rule the seas.

Yesterday I was watching the Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow, and got an inspiration for a game set in a time when everything was still possible. The World and technology would be that of 1930s but with a big twist. A Messerschmitt could be modified to run underwater, Nazi supersoldiers would rumble around in power armour etc.
I think there was this kind of setting in the D20 Past but since I'm away from my books at the moment I can't be sure. But how about it guys? Any interest to play reporters, archeologists and smugglers, battling Nazis over mysterious relics and searching for Mines of Solomon or Shangri-La?

Last edited:

Blackrat

Oh, I just got this idea and so I don't yet have much to tell. Brainstorming help would be appreciated. I'm thinking something like Indiana Jones mixed with Skycaptain as a setting. And as I already said I think there was something like this is D20 Past so if that is the case I will probably be using that as a basis.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
An Indiana Jones style campaign would be interesting. A bit of historical fiction mixed with fantasy and nonstop pulp action. I would be interested in playing a kind of scientist character, someone who does research, and really isn't cut out for field work, but goes along anyway because his expertise is needed in the field. Probably an Smart/Dedicated Hero, eventually becoming a Field Scientist or Techie, maybe even Occultist, depending on the style.

Blackrat

I was right about D20 Past. There is a setting called Pulp Heroes which is exactly what I had in mind (Actually, I got the year by coincidence to be the same as standard Pulp Heroes). airwalkrr, if you manage to get a peek of that book you should check out scientist advanced class. It's more pulp inventor than the scientist or techie in D20 Modern (Or I could send you an email with the specifics). And an occultist would be perfect too. But nothings gonna come around if there's no more interest in this. Come on. I know there's good players around here.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
This does sound interesting. I am familair with Modern but not Past. So I'll put myself on the second string if you'll take me Blackrat. I'll step aside for players more familar with the setting and source books, but if you've room I'd be happy to play.

Blackrat

Well the D20 Past is mainly GM-book so there's not really need to know anything about it. It is enough that you have seen any of the Indiana Jones's and know something about the Pulp era. If you have also seen the Skycaptain, you can get pretty good idea on what technology can achieve in the hands of mad scientists. And regarding eguipment, if you know what kind of stuff from 30's you want, I can look it up for you.

EDIT: I suggest everyone interested checks out the Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow. I think it is horrendeously boring movie but I got good inspiration from it.

EDIT2: And useful wiki about the 30s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1930s

EDIT3: I keep finding snazzy stuff about 30s. This is almost too good to be true: http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
I'm interested in this as well. I haven't seen Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow, but hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. I do have d20 Past, if that helps. I've been waiting for an opportunity to use it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads