D&D (2024) 1D&D elf: Swing and a miss

Astral: Teleport prof/day, bonus light-themed cantrip, floating skill proficiency
Eladrin: teleport prof/day with four different riders at 3rd level (damage, move ally, charm, or frighten)
Sea: water breathing, swim speed, talk with fish
Shadar-kai: necrotic resistance, teleport prof/day with rider at 3rd level (half-damage for 1 round)
my answer would be take the drow stats as a start (so you have spell like abilities) and have an alternate not drow... then make eladrin and astral elves a new race/species each. have the fluff background connect them but not the rules... the Shadar-Kai deserve this break off too

Remathilis

Legend
my answer would be take the drow stats as a start (so you have spell like abilities) and have an alternate not drow... then make eladrin and astral elves a new race/species each. have the fluff background connect them but not the rules... the Shadar-Kai deserve this break off too

The boat on that has sailed though. Regardless if they opt to just make them new lineages or whole new races, they'd all need to be reprinted. We have time to fix the Revised Elf though, but from the feedback video, I guess this did well enough to make it through.

Remathilis

Legend
So here's my proposal for "fixing" the other elves back into lineages.

Lineage1st Level3rd Level5th Level
DrowThe range of your Darkvision increases to 120 feet. You also know the Dancing Lights cantrip.Faerie FireDarkness
High ElfYou know the Prestidigitation cantrip. Whenever you finish a Long Rest, you can replace that cantrip with a different cantrip from the Arcane Spell List.Detect MagicMisty Step
Wood ElfYour Speed increases to 35 feet. You also know the Druidcraft cantripLongstriderPass without Trace
EladrinYou Choose your eladrin's season: autumn, winter, spring, or summer. When finishing a Long Rest, you can change your season. You know the following cantrip, depending on your season: Autumn: Friends, Winter: Chill Touch, Spring: Guidance, Summer: FireboltColor SprayMisty Step
Shadar-kaiYou have resistance to necrotic damage. You also know the Minor Illusion Cantrip.False LifeMisty Step
Astral ElfWhenever you finish a Long Rest, you gain proficiency in one skill of your choice. These proficiencies last until the end of your next long rest. You know the Sacred Flame cantrip.Guiding BoltSpiritual Weapon
Sea ElfYou can breathe air and water, and you have a swimming speed equal to your walking speed. You know the Ray of Frost cantrip.Speak with AnimalsEnhance Ability
Pallid ElfYou have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Insight) checks. You know the Light cantrip.SleepInvisibility

fettpett

Villager
So here's my proposal for "fixing" the other elves back into lineages.

Lineage1st Level3rd Level5th Level
DrowThe range of your Darkvision increases to 120 feet. You also know the Dancing Lights cantrip.Faerie FireDarkness
High ElfYou know the Prestidigitation cantrip. Whenever you finish a Long Rest, you can replace that cantrip with a different cantrip from the Arcane Spell List.Detect MagicMisty Step
Wood ElfYour Speed increases to 35 feet. You also know the Druidcraft cantripLongstriderPass without Trace
EladrinYou Choose your eladrin's season: autumn, winter, spring, or summer. When finishing a Long Rest, you can change your season. You know the following cantrip, depending on your season: Autumn: Friends, Winter: Chill Touch, Spring: Guidance, Summer: FireboltColor SprayMisty Step
Shadar-kaiYou have resistance to necrotic damage. You also know the Minor Illusion Cantrip.False LifeMisty Step
Astral ElfWhenever you finish a Long Rest, you gain proficiency in one skill of your choice. These proficiencies last until the end of your next long rest. You know the Sacred Flame cantrip.Guiding BoltSpiritual Weapon
Sea ElfYou can breathe air and water, and you have a swimming speed equal to your walking speed. You know the Ray of Frost cantrip.Speak with AnimalsEnhance Ability
Pallid ElfYou have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Insight) checks. You know the Light cantrip.SleepInvisibility

I like this design

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think Species features are all so lame and so lacking in actual oomph that I don't give a rat's ass what they end up being.

A person's JOB somehow gets 20 LEVELS of mechanical import, but who they actually are as a creature gets like 4 incredibly minor abilities-- half of which get duplicated by other creatures by just spending some of their JOB abilities.

"Uh, I think it's important we note that Elves are proficient in Perception! We need to distinguish this species and culture from all the others in the game!" "Uh... yeah? So you're doing that by giving them an ability that every single other member of the party also took too? Wow! That's great. Really made those Elves special. Really glad we have these all-important species features in the game."

It's all so ridiculous I just don't understand how anyone can really care that much about any of it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If my board name could remain whatever it was at the time I made a post, and it was very easy to switch them... I would have had a lot of fun posting as DEFCONs 1 through 5 depending on how strongly I felt about my opinions of the post. Issues I had no real care about would be posted as DEFCON5, ones that I believed with all my heart would be DEFCON1, and then the other three levels in between. :D

Remove ads