• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1e artifacts and artifact generation?

ChimericDream

First Post
Let me preface this whole thing by saying that I never got the opportunity to play 1e.

Ok... read on.

Plane Sailing said:
One of the excellent things about the 1e artifacts was that it didn't tell you what the actual powers were, but left blanks for the DM to fill in the appropriate bits

The throne had

3 x I (minor benign powers)
3 x II (major benign powers)
2 x III (minor malevolent effects)
2 x IV (major malevolent effects)
2 x V (prime powers)
2 x VI (side effects)

Cheers

After reading the above over in this thread, I'm curious about something. Namely, has anyone come up with a system for generating artifacts in a similar fashion to generating other, "regular" magic items? Looking at the above post, it seems as though they have a list somewhere of what constitutes a "minor" or "major" power or effect along with lists of benevolent effects, benign powers and the whole deal.

I find this concept rather intriguing, and while I realize that creating an artifact shouldn't be done (completely) based on tables, it would be nice to have something like this.

Celebrim

Legend
muzick said:
Let me preface this whole thing by saying that I never got the opportunity to play 1e.

An infuriating an utterly lovable game system. Infuriating because it was a kludged together inelegant mess that handled so many things so so poorly that you were forced to get out duct tape to get through each session. Lovable because, even though I didn't realize it at the time, what it did get right, it got absolutely right. It took me 20 years of rules tinkering to realize that what I thought was wrong with the system wasn't the problem, and so much that I thought would make a better system was breaking the things that 1e got right.

But, to get on topic...

Looking at the above post, it seems as though they have a list somewhere of what constitutes a "minor" or "major" power or effect along with lists of benevolent effects, benign powers and the whole deal.

Indeed. It's all in the 1st ed. DMG. Make your own artifact. Which incidently, is exactly an example of what 1st ed. got absolutely right. In this case, what it got right is that there are some secrets so important to a campaign that they can't be published. In order for the campaign to be fully enjoyable, there has to be secrets known only to the DM which are unique to his world and his play experience. So, no two campaigns artifacts are alike, no two campaigns have the exact same secrets, and no two campaigns have the exact same 'canon'. There is always something that the players don't know but may perhaps find out through play.

I find this concept rather intriguing, and while I realize that creating an artifact shouldn't be done (completely) based on tables, it would be nice to have something like this.

While the quality of the advice in the 1st edition DMG varies from the sublime to game destroying garbage, I still believe that its the best book ever written on running a D&D game and well worth picking up and reading no matter what edition you are playing.

Kerrick

First Post
Looking at the above post, it seems as though they have a list somewhere of what constitutes a "minor" or "major" power or effect along with lists of benevolent effects, benign powers and the whole deal.
Indeed. It's all in the 1st ed. DMG. Make your own artifact.
I believe what he's asking is, is there a system whereby you can determine how many of each power a given artifact should/can have?

If that's the case, then yes - I did one up last year - here. It's not totally done; I posted the initial premise on the House Rules forum and got blasted by people who told me, "You shouldn't be able to make artifacts" even though they missed the entire point - it was for the DM, not the players. But anyway... check it out if you're interested.

Delta

First Post
One of the excellent things about the 1e artifacts was that it didn't tell you what the actual powers were, but left blanks for the DM to fill in the appropriate bits...

One thing I recently learned is that OD&D Supplement III, Eldritch Wizardry, is where the AD&D artifacts and system first appeared. That publication also has "recommended" powers actually detailed, with separate slots for the DM to write in their changes.

(Although, having looked at the suggested powers, I must say they don't make a whole heck of a lot of sense as a unit for each artifact.)

grodog

Hero
In addition to the powers of artifacts and relics, you should give some serious thought to what the implications are for their existence/introduction into a campaign. I wrote a piece on this as part of the article on Greyhawk artifacts in Dragon 294, and since that piece was cut for space reasons, you can read it over on Canonfire! @ http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=268

Necromancer Games recently released their Book of Artifacts, which may or may not contain the kinds of lists that you're seeking. I don't own the book yet, but I'm sure someone else can chime in with thoughts on its content.

PS - hey muzick, glad to see you're in Lawrence---I lived there for 10 years while in grad school :D

grodog said:
Necromancer Games recently released their Book of Artifacts, which may or may not contain the kinds of lists that you're seeking. I don't own the book yet, but I'm sure someone else can chime in with thoughts on its content.

There's a fairly hefty appendix on random artifact creation. We don't pretend it does the job 100%--the DM still has to exercise judgment and creativity--but it's definitely enough to fill out the basics as randomly as you could want. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*eight*

I was going to say something to that effect Ari. I do however think THIS book can cover that aspect quite well as they did in the older systems.

Lord knows I'm planning on using it to make my own Banryu! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads