• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1E DMG vs. 3E DMG vs. 4E DMG

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
I'm curious as to what others think of these three foundation-setting books: the First, Third, and Fourth Edition DMGs.

Me, I think it's helpful to compare them with a "form vs. function" approach.

I think the 1E DMG has the best form, but the worst function.

I think the 4E DMG has the best function, but the worst form.

I think the 3E DMG fits in the middle of both worlds.

Definition of form: Stylistic prose, anecdotes, educational or informative segues, etc.

Definition of function: Used during a game at the table.

All three books are excellent, IMO. I find myself using the 4E DMG more than I used the 1E and 3E DMGs to prepare adventures. But I can't curl up to the 4E DMG like I could Gygax's near-Biblical tome.

Hell, I still pull out the 1E DMG to read just for the joy of reading. I only pull out the 4E DMG when I have to look something up during adventure prep.

So...what are your thoughts? Obviously, the most informed answers come from those folks who have used/read all three DMGs...but I'm not picky.

And, a related question: Which is the better way to write a DMG? Should the author/company concentrate on FORM or on FUNCTION?

WP

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
So...what are your thoughts? Obviously, the most informed answers come from those folks who have used/read all three DMGs...but I'm not picky.

And, a related question: Which is the better way to write a DMG? Should the author/company concentrate on FORM or on FUNCTION?

WP

my thought is that i need to read the 4e dmg. i've sen many people talk about how great it is regardless of system.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
joethelawyer said:
my thought is that i need to read the 4e dmg. i've sen many people talk about how great it is regardless of system.

I agree - but not for the reasons, I bet, most of the people say that.

I would hazard a guess the folks that praise the 4E DMG do so largely for the advice it gives on handling groups, different types of gamers, etc. While I by no means know all there is to know about that, I have a fairly stable group and many of those pages didn't resonate with me.

No, sir - the truly beneficial parts of the 4E DMG (for me) are the DM's Toolbox portions. How to create and modify a monster, how to build an encounter, how to throw on a template, and how to do these things quickly without intensive math, or fiddling with stats you neither care about nor are likely to come up in the monster's brief appearance on stage.

But, by Wee Jas, that's a hard book to read. Not because it's disorganized (quite far from it), or not because the writing is poor (again, far from it), but because it reads like a text book. At least those portions of the book that are most beneficial to me.

To be honest, if you're a 3E guy who's fine with his group - I'm not sure the expense of the 4E DMG is worth it.

WP

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I love the 4e dmg. Any new DM will be able to "grok" DMing from it (or at least, I think they would). I think that is the first DMG that managed that.

However, it's function, beyond the toolbox and its encounter chapters, is limited. It's like "DMing 4th edition, 101".

I dare not say that I really don't like Gygax's writing style, so I am not going to.

So, my opinion:
3e best function.
4e best form, but surpassing the 3e DMG in function specifically for new DMs.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
To be honest, if you're a 3E guy who's fine with his group - I'm not sure the expense of the 4E DMG is worth it.

Back in the olden days of 3E releases, I'd go to Borders and enjoy spending my time "skimming" a new book for an hour or so, before I'd even consider buying it. Joe could read the 4E DMG over without buying it if he wanted to. He could probably just loan it from a friend, too.

malraux

First Post
I think the 4E DMG has the best function, but the worst form.
Definition of function: Used during a game at the table.

By that definition, I'd say the 4e dmg has the worst function. I'd say the 4e dmg screen has high functionality by that definition, but not the dmg. That said, i found the 3e dmg pretty much useless all the time as the d20srd.org surpassed it for just about any info I would need. Never read the 1e dmg, so I can't comment.

For general prepping for a game advice and help, the d20 Call of Cthulhu book offers the best advice I've seen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads