• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1st ed AD&D in 3.5E/4E language

ggroy

First Post
Just recently found the three 1st ed AD&D core books at a garage sale. I wondered what the 1st ed rules would look like in the 3rd or 4th ed D&D format and came up with this for the combat rules with these assumptions:

rolling a natural 20 on a d20 = critical hit

melee attack = 1d20 + base level attack bonus + strength mod

ranged attack = 1d20 + base level attack bonus + dexterity mod + range penalty

AC = 10 + armor bonus + shield bonus + dexterity mod

With these assumptions, the information in the 1st ed AD&D player and monster attack matrices in the DM guide basically reduces to:

fighters, paladins, rangers, bards and 0 level halflings and humans attack matrix

HTML:
level        base level bonus to attack

0              -1
1-2           0
3-4           +2
5-6           +4
7-8           +6
9-10         +8
11-12       +10
13-14       +12
15-16       +14
17+          +16

clerics, druids and monks attack matrix

HTML:

1-3          0
4-6          +2
7-9          +4
10-12       +6
13-15       +8
16-18       +10
19+          +11

thieves and assassins attack matrix

HTML:

1-4          -1
5-8          +1
9-12         +4
13-16       +6
17-20       +8
21+          +10

magic users and illusionists attack matrix

HTML:

1-5          -1
6-10        +1
11-15       +4
16-20       +7
21+          +9

monsters attack matrix

HTML:
monster hit dice    base level bonus to attack

up to 1-1             -1
1-1                      0
1                       +1
1+                     +2
2-3+                  +4
4-5+                  +5
6-7+                  +7
8-9+                  +8
10-11+               +10
12-13+               +11
14-15+               +12
16+                    +13

The armor listed in the 1st ed player's handbook reduces to:

HTML:
(non-magic) armor        AC bonus

shield                         +1

leather
or padded                   +2

studded leather            +3
or ring mail

scale mail                    +4

chain mail                    +5

split or                        +6
banded mail

plate mail                     +7

The strength and dexterity modifiers in the 1st ed player's handbook look like:

strength

HTML:
score        attack adjustment bonus        damage adjustment bonus

3                   -3                                   -1
4-5                -2                                   -1
6-7                 -1                                   0
8-9                  0                                   0
10-11               0                                   0
12-13               0                                   0
14-15               0                                   0
16                    0                                  +1
17                   +1                                 +1
18                   +1                                 +2
18/01-50          +1                                 +3
18/51-75          +2                                 +3
18/76-90          +2                                 +4
18/91-99          +2                                 +5
18/00               +3                                 +6

dexterity

HTML:
score        reaction/attack adjustment bonus    defense adjustment bonus 

3                     -3                                           -4
4                     -2                                           -3
5                     -1                                           -2
6                      0                                            -1
7                      0                                             0
8                      0                                             0
9                      0                                             0
10                    0                                             0
11                    0                                             0
12                    0                                             0
13                    0                                             0
14                    0                                             0
15                    0                                            +1
16                  +1                                            +2
17                  +2                                            +3
18                  +3                                            +4

Has anyone tried creating a "retro clone" which consists of 1st ed AD&D being redone using the d20 style combat of 3E or 4E? I suppose if somebody hasn't done so yet, these combat matrices would be the starting point for such a clone.
[D][D][D]
PHP:
[PHP][HTML][CODE][PHP]
[/CODE][/HTML][/PHP][/PHP][/D][/D][/D]

Dice4Hire

First Post
Interesting and this must have taken a good deal of time.

To me the difference between 1E and 4E is the feel, not necessarily how the numbers work out.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Castles and Crusades as well as Basic Fantasy RPG both come very close to hitting these numbers, though C&C is to AD&D while BFRPG is to to B/X D&D.

ggroy

First Post
Another assumption I started with, is that a basic melee or ranged attack on an AC 10 opponent requires a minimum total attack roll (ie. d20 + base attack bonus without the strength, dexterity, or any other modifiers) of 10 in order to hit.

Similarly, a basic attack on a 3E/4E AC 15 opponent requires a minimum total attack roll of 15 to hit. (ad nauseum)

The conversion between the AC's is:

3E/4E AC = 20 - 1E AC

What was surprising was the -1 base attack bonus for the lower level magic user/illusionist and thief/assassin, under this assumption. Without their abilities and powers, these classes are functionally not much different than a regular human or a "minion" in 3E/4E.

Obryn

Hero
I adopted a system I read online. It's pretty simple, honestly.

Look at the chart. Find the number to hit AC 10. Call this x

10-x = your attack bonus.

To this, you add any modifiers for Strength, Dexterity, proficiency, specialization, and enchantments.

Roll 1d20. Add your modified attack bonus. Treat any die roll of 20 as 25. I, the DM, add the target's AC to this. If I use the Weapon vs. AC tables, I add them accordingly.

If your modified roll is 20 or higher, you hit.

It's a very, very simple system once you get started with it.

-O

ggroy

First Post
I adopted a system I read online. It's pretty simple, honestly.

Look at the chart. Find the number to hit AC 10. Call this x

10-x = your attack bonus.

To this, you add any modifiers for Strength, Dexterity, proficiency, specialization, and enchantments.

Roll 1d20. Add your modified attack bonus. Treat any die roll of 20 as 25. I, the DM, add the target's AC to this. If I use the Weapon vs. AC tables, I add them accordingly.

If your modified roll is 20 or higher, you hit.

It's a very, very simple system once you get started with it.

-O

With the exception of the natural 20 -> 25 rule, your system more or less reproduces the same numbers I deduced from the 1st ed AD&D DM guide.

Adding the target's AC to the sum total of the attack roll does seem to make the bookkeeping easier. On first glance, it does look a bit like the 2nd ed AD&D THAC0 system in spirit.

Obryn

Hero
With the exception of the natural 20 -> 25 rule, your system more or less reproduces the same numbers I deduced from the 1st ed AD&D DM guide.

Adding the target's AC to the sum total of the attack roll does seem to make the bookkeeping easier. On first glance, it does look a bit like the 2nd ed AD&D THAC0 system in spirit.
Well, the natural 20 = 25 is in there to strictly duplicate the AD&D tables. On those, 20 is reproduced 5 times before it goes up to 21, 22, 23, etc.

In practical gameplay it hardly ever makes a difference, but in 1e, 20 was not an auto-hit.

One thing that kind of struck me while playing 1e is the "whiff rate." Seriously, PCs often have less than a 1 in 4 chance of hitting against most foes - and regularly need an 18 or better. And this really doesn't get better for anyone except fighters for quite a few levels.

-O

ggroy

First Post
Well, the natural 20 = 25 is in there to strictly duplicate the AD&D tables. On those, 20 is reproduced 5 times before it goes up to 21, 22, 23, etc.

In practical gameplay it hardly ever makes a difference, but in 1e, 20 was not an auto-hit.

One thing that kind of struck me while playing 1e is the "whiff rate." Seriously, PCs often have less than a 1 in 4 chance of hitting against most foes - and regularly need an 18 or better. And this really doesn't get better for anyone except fighters for quite a few levels.

-O

Back in the day, we used the natural 20 = auto-hit rule from the basic and expert D&D sets. When we got around to playing 1st ed AD&D, we ended up exporting the natural 20 = auto-hit rule.

I only had the 1st ed AD&D player's handbook in those days, as well as the basic and expert D&D box sets. Without the DM guide, we largely improvised using the rules from the basic and expert D&D box sets.

To get around the problem of players being killed too easily, we just allocated the maximum hit points to each character allowed by a character class hit dice. We also had a rule of a player falling unconscious once they reach zero hit points, and dying when they reach their negative of their constitution score. Each round an unconscious character isn't tended to, they lose one hit point per round. Binding their wounds stops the hit point from falling further.

To get around the problem of monsters being too hard to hit, the DM typically went all "Monty Hall"-ish and liberally gave away a lot of magical stuff like weapons, armor, etc ... and sometimes dropped magic resistance on monsters.

The Red Priest

First Post
I'm not inclined to check the accuracy of the work, so I'll just assume that the homework was done diligently and that the numbers are correct.

The point of the exercise escapes me, however, and I don't know what exactly is being proposed. Wouldn't a retro-clone done with 3e/4e rules simply just be 3e/4e? Or, is this some method for porting 1e characters up to 3e/4e games? :erm:

Obryn

Hero
I'm not inclined to check the accuracy of the work, so I'll just assume that the homework was done diligently and that the numbers are correct.

The point of the exercise escapes me, however, and I don't know what exactly is being proposed. Wouldn't a retro-clone done with 3e/4e rules simply just be 3e/4e? Or, is this some method for porting 1e characters up to 3e/4e games? :erm:
Neither.

It's a way to streamline 1e's combat mechanics, while staying true to the 1e math. Basically, it's 1e without the need for a combat matrix. (And, I should note, without the need to apply any to-hit modifiers to the target's AC rather than sensibly, to the attack roll.)

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads