• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1st Edition Suggestions

Erekose

Eternal Champion
The Dragon#56 has an interesting and useable bard, in an article written by Jeffery Goelz: "Singing a Different Tune--A Different Bard, Not Quite So Hard".

The bard here draws from the Welsh tradition more than the Celtic, and the xp table is a little wonky vis. PHB classes, but the class works well. We've used it. I prefer it to the 2nd edition AD&D version.

I believe the article was reprinted in Best of the Dragon vol. III, as well.

Hope that helps.

We used this class back when we first played 1E. Works well and fits in with most mixed goups of 3-4 classes.

Thanael

Explorer
I realize now the futility of this thread. This is my last shot at staying in a group of friends i've been playing with for about 4 years. We play first edition and really all of the problems are based in the fact that our dm LOVES his first edition and has been playing it for a million years.
The kind of character i like to play is a jack of all trades. I like playing a character who is useful in any situation. maybe i don't have the perfect spell or ability but i have something that will work. Unfortunatly the only Jack of all trades class (that i see) is a druid and our dm hates druids. Also druid spells mostly are useless (our dm doesn't allow synergy like wall of thorns and entangle to have it hold and do thorn dmg).
I hope someone here has a suggestion for me so i can enjoy playing with my friends.

Huh? Druid the only Jack of all Trades ? Druid spells useless?!? What?

Another vote for multiclass. Be a half-elf F/M/T or Ranger/Druid or Ranger/Cleric. Definately check out Unearthed Arcana for max levels. And be sure to check out the UA errata here

Or be a bard. (The rules are in the appendix of the 1E PHB.) Or be a gypsy (a sort of reverse bard from an old dragon article, first levels thief, then fighter than gypsy-bard). But both of thee of course use druid spells which imnsho are far from useless.

Salasis

First Post
Wow i really appriciate the great responce here. I've decided to try an ilusionist theif but instead reffereing to it as an illusionist with theiving abilities. because in our gorup a theif means that nobody in the group likes or trusts you regardless of your actions :p For very similar reason Assasins are out because they have to be evil and would be killed almost on sight.

I like where Particle man sais "try to get phsyonics" the way we play you have to roll something like a 98 on percentile....not very common :p

Thanael i would love for you o explain to me how i could more effectivly use my druid spells (not sarcasm) as it is i have mostly things like charm plants speak with plants hold plant plant door ect. Problem is we adventure in keeps, in dungeons, in the abyss, where their arn't any plants. So my spells have nothing to effect. Idk if i mentioned this but we roll for our spells randomly so we don't get to choose usefull ones.

Last edited:

Salasis

First Post
Say their are 20 first level cleric spells (their arnt i'm just using it for an example) you would roll a d20 and that is one of the spells you know. You don't get to choose the 4 you want or anything your roll them. same for every spell caster

dagger

Adventurer
Okay never done that or seen it done....

Chello!

Yes, that's actually pretty common. The trick is to save an Ill scrolls you get and scribe them to your spell book. :)

Which most MU's would do anyway if they wanted to increase the amount of spells they can choose from everyday.

Not sure why they are doing this for the divine casters, its very strange, but to each his own. I personally would be reluctant to play a cleric/druid in that system.

Last edited:

TanisFrey

First Post
Remember this is a 1ed thread. You need to be somewhat careful about what spells you scribe into you spellbook as a wizard or illusionist. 1ed rules limited how many spells of each level you could learn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads