• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1st Level Gestalt for background

Gimby

Explorer
An idea I was knocking around was to give characters the benefit of gestalt rules for the first level only and only with NPC classes- giving characters a chance to mechanically represent their background.

This will clearly represent somewhat improved 1st level characters and allow for easier access to various prestige classes (EK with warrior/wizard at first being an obvious one). I'm not too worried about that in general though (my players are generally pretty good about such things).

One obvious issue is that no-one will want to be a commoner and some of the obvious progressions offer no advantages (warrior/fighter being the most obvious one)- I was thinking a bonus feat to make up for that - any other suggestions?

Has anyone else tried this? Any experiences of note?

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I see no reason to give a bonus feat. If they insist on fighter/warrior, then they deserve what they get.

It would be workable, but why bother with gestalt? Just tell them they have 6 or so skill points they can only spend on craft/profession/knowledge or some such.

Elethiomel

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
I see no reason to give a bonus feat. If they insist on fighter/warrior, then they deserve what they get.
Perhaps. I liked the idea, and especially the RP connotations to it - and someone who started out life as a warrior is the most likely kind of person to become a fighter when he goes out and becomes an adventurer. It's a natural combination, so why "punish" players who want this sort of background for their character?

A bonus feat is "on theme" for fighters anyway, so I don't see why not. It turns this particular combination into a more powerful one... but that's fine if your players are good about that sort of thing.

hong

WotC's bitch
Yeah, I'd just go with the extra skill points mentioned above. Gestalt seems like an awful lot of bother just to get a bit more flexibility.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Gimby said:
An idea I was knocking around was to give characters the benefit of gestalt rules for the first level only and only with NPC classes- giving characters a chance to mechanically represent their background.

This will clearly represent somewhat improved 1st level characters and allow for easier access to various prestige classes (EK with warrior/wizard at first being an obvious one). I'm not too worried about that in general though (my players are generally pretty good about such things).

One obvious issue is that no-one will want to be a commoner and some of the obvious progressions offer no advantages (warrior/fighter being the most obvious one)- I was thinking a bonus feat to make up for that - any other suggestions?

Has anyone else tried this? Any experiences of note?

It is a minor boost and should work fine.

Commoner offers spot and listen as class skills so you might see more farm boy fighter commoners than fighter warriors.

They can have the warrior proficiencies, 8 hp, +2 fort save and BAB which will be a boost to anybody but Fighters, Barbarians, Rangers, or paladins.

They can go expert, get the strong will save and customizable class skills with 6 skill points which could be nice for anybody but bards.

Aristocrat provides some nice skill options (all knowledges, spot and listen, All the social ones, speak language) and all weapon and armor proficiencies along with will save and 8hp. Should be a nice option mechanically for anybody.

Adept would provide a spell list including the ability to use cure light wounds wands.

Veril

Explorer
Let everyone pick their 1st class as normal and work themelves out as per usual.
Then add on 1 level of an NPC class.

I know that seems backwards, but mechanically and thematically it works out better. The 1st level is the most important one and defines the characters.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
EyeontheMountain said:
A rogue/fighter vs a fighter rogue is going to be very different skill wise.

Except the OP stated that it would only Gestalt at Level 1 and they would have to do one of the Gestalt levels as an NPC class... SO they could do Warrior/Rogue, but that still gets them the skill points...

I like the idea, but it seems like a lot of work to "balance" the class combos... Aristocrat/Fighter is much more advantages than Commoner/fighter and especially warrior/fighter. Adept/Rogue for skill pts and wands anyone? Expert/Fighter for those hard to come by knowledge skills?

I guess it really depends on your players and if they want to do this for RP purposes or will use it to gain an in game advantage...

QuaziquestGM

First Post
keep in mind:

that aristocrats get proficincy in all simple and martial weapons, all armors, and all shields, including tower shields, rogue skill points, and a social/knowledge skill suite.

-This may be good for modeling the young aristocrat or noble's education before he went off to fighter tech, the institute for wizardy, or bardic College. It would also mean that from this background when the arcanist runs out of spells he can pull his armor and great sword out of the bag of holding to better defend his d4 hit die.

that adepts are divine casters, with an odd spell list, that don't have to rest to be able to prepare spells at prayer time.

-This may benifit an arcanist that didn't get a good night's sleep to still be able to pray to the spirts for a few spell slots so he can still get off a Burning hands or two. However, it would double the spell prep time for any wizard, archivist, spirit shaman, druid, or cleric. One hour to pray for adept spells, one hour to study spell book or pray for other devine spells. It would also enable some non standard uses for Craft Wonderous Item that a Wizard wouldn't normally be able to pull off.

As you are only allowing geshalt for first level for backgound and flavor reasons, why not go whole hog? Allow the first level geshalt to be from the Generic Classes as well. You would end up with results comparible to using only the NPC classes, but with a broader set of options to allow for more customization of the PCs' backstories.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads