• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1st Level Sorcerer Feat - feedback please.

Sejs

First Post
The basic idea is a feat that a sorcerer can take at 1st level that would have his inborn magical abilities come from a different source other than draconic blood. The 5 types I can think of atm are the 4 elements and celestials. Evil outsiders would be an option, but I can't think of a good tradeoff for them, so just leaving that as-is. The feats would be mutually exclusive. The idea came about partly from the thought that why do races that have a charisma penalty because they're considdered gruff, ugly or rude (dwarves, orcs) have a problem manipulating inborne magical powers? Which then led to - hey, wouldn't it be interesting if you had a dwarven sorcerer that's was derived from their earth elemental heritage, etc etc.

Earth:
- con as casting stat
- +1 caster level for abjurations
- cannot know any illusion spells

Air:
- dex as casting stat
- +1 caster level for illusions
- cannot know any abjuration spells

Fire:
- int as casting stat
- +1 caster level for evocations
- cannot know any conjuration spells

Water:
- str as casting stat
- +1 caster level for conjurations
- cannot know any evocation spells

Celestial:
- wis as casting stat
- +1 caster level for divinations
- cannot know any necromancy spells

(Infernal):
- cha as casting stat
- no bonus to caster level
- no restricted schools of spells

Welcome any comments, feedback, balance concerns, etc that you may have. Thank you.

Last edited:

Spatzimaus

First Post
If Infernal has no change, why would someone spend a Feat on it?

Changing the stat used for spellcasting is a HUGE bonus. Play a Psion to see what I mean; having your Sorcerer use CON for casting is tremendously more powerful than "wasting" it on CHA. Right now, the only reason anyone cares about CHA is that it powers Bards, Sorcerers, and some Cleric/Paladin class abilities. So, this sort of Feat would be way too powerful, IMNSHO.
A school restriction is pretty meaningless to a class that has limited spells known already, anyway. You'd be far better off with tighter limitations along thematic lines, which there have been plenty of discussion threads about.

Sejs

First Post
I should have stated that better - the infernal one wasn't a feat, was just there for comparason. No modifications - no feat cost.

Moonsword

First Post
Spatzimaus is right, IMO. Changing the casting stat is a big change, especially when it's moved to one of the physical stats, particularly Con. That boots the hp of the sorcerer a lot since his highest stat is now in a combat area, and it belongs there. This will enhance long term survival and change the balance of the class. The feats have implications beyond caster level, and those are the rough ones.

clark411

First Post
I cringe when I see caster classes with d4's have the option to base their primary stat in constitution. it does things with my cackles, dunno why. Same thing with con based psions with more hitpoints than the party cleric or rogue.

Fenes 2

First Post
IMC, Charisma is one of the most important stats - according to the number of PCs with high charismas. Lowest Charisma, irrc, in 2 campaigns is 13, while con and strength have numerous 8s, 10s, and 12s.

As far as this feat is concerned, I'd replace it with the feat spellcasting prodigy, that counters the -2 penalty for some races handily and has to be taken at first level as well.

Knight-of-Roses

Historian of the Absurd
I like the concept of different sorcerous bloodline, but I do not like changing the base stat used.

Can you try again, with different focuses and changes? I think this is a worthy idea. But the devil is in the details.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It would be better, I think, if the stat changing was to another mental stat.

Variations in class skills (or bonus/penalties to skills) would also be an idea- water might have swimming as a class skill, say. Air might get a +1 to spot and listen checks.

DonAdam

Explorer
I require sorcerers to have a bloodline as well (unless they are kobolds, planetouched, or moon elves) but I just use the Spell Thematics feat with the Monte Cook sorcerer.

We had a savant in our party once with more hit points than the druid. It was ridiculous. Only mental stats should be used for spellcasting, and Intelligence only rarely.

Coredump

Explorer
I haven't thought of the details, but you may be able to set it up using the weaker of two stats.

ie. air elemental
the lesser of dex or int

etc.

would still have to be very careful about balance.

It would be easier to just have the feat counter the racial penalty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads