• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E 1st level starting-out equipment/gear/items - what's on your list?

meien

Explorer
If you're using Ultimate Equipment you can make that list even easier. Instead of listing backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, etc, etc, you could just list the "kits" from the adventuring gear section starting on page 56. It has a kit of useful items for each class along with a calculated gp value. There are also special kits if you want to do certain jobs/activities. Like troll slayer or dragon slayer kits for combat situations or things like entertainer's and gambler's kits for roleplay at the tavern (or wherever else). There are dozens of different kits to cut down on how many things to write.

Folding shovel and compass are personal favorites and are 12gp and 10gp respectively. Or 2gp for a normal shovel if you can't afford the folding. Weapon Cord for 1sp (disarm sucks no matter the level). Signal whistle (guess I'm not the only one who's needed to call for an "adult" in game lol).

I personally like either playing cards (price varies on quality) or dice/dominoes. Just something to play with others while sitting around. Good for PCs and drawing in NPCs.

Magnets are neat for 5sp. Might not get a ton of use but maybe you drop a key or something in a crack and it comes into play. Maybe you're trying to confuse someone who's using a compass and slight of hand it to throw the compass off.

If I had a bunch of extra money a traveler's dictionary is a neat item.

Alchemical stuff Antiplague/Antitoxin at 50gp are nice. Bloodblock for 25gp can help stabilize someone. Tanglefoot bag and thunderstone's are useful too.

I agree with Ramaster on infernal healing. I didn't even know about it until it came into play in a recent session. Very nice.

Celebrim

Legend
A serious party, knowing that they are facing a 1e style RBDM and fully armed with meta-gaming information will always have in the party:

a) One container of very strong alcohol, such as brandy or whisky, for intoxicating such creatures as Executioner's Hoods
b) A large pouch of salt for assisting in killing giant slugs and the like.
c) A large bar of soap for removing oily or greasy substances.
d) Garlic, sprigs of wolfsbane and similarly effective herbal barriers.
e) A pouch of anise seeds and/or powdered for distracting or defeating the olfactory senses of creatures that track by scent.
f) A thin flexible limewood strip for lifting latches and doors barred on the other side.
g) One or more containers of good wine, since sharing alcohol is an almost universal gesture of friendship and makes a suitable bribe for some creatures.
h) One or more mules to carry goods in and treasure out.
i) Empty vials, flasks, and embalming tools/fluid for preserving potentially valuable monster parts and other items that can be used as spell or item crafting reagents or sold. In some cases, padded chests and small durable cages can be a good investment as well for the player intent on maximizing profits.
j) Sealing wax and a signet ring for tamper proofing items, doors, containers, messages, etc.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Black pepper. It can dissuade a scent-tracking creature, be thrown in the eyes of an attacking animal, can be thrown in the air at a potential invisible foe to possibly make them sneeze, can help with a disguise (make you cry to look innocent/scared), and will flavor your (otherwise pretty nasty) food in a pinch.

eurytion

First Post
A 10 ft pole is a necessity for all my characters. Im always finding new uses for it and triggering traps from a safe distance is always nice

Remove ads