• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1st Lvl Sorc

Slannder

First Post
Im a lvl 1 sorcerer

I wanna use staffs and ive been reading all this stuff on Implaments, im new to DnD 4.0 and wanna know how i go about getting Implaments, do i find them buy them train into them? I'm not sure and which ones i can use at lvl 1 if any and what all the feats are for implaments. I see staff fighting and arcane implament and implament expertise and weapon focus (staffs) and im unsure which ones will stack and what wont thank you.

Grimmjow

First Post
Hey, im not very good with the implements too so maybe ill get some stuff out of this forum too! :D

Anyway, my thoughts on that is that you start off with just a stick, weather it be a staff a wand or w/e. Its just like how a fighter starts out with a sword or a ranger with his bow. As you play different adventures, youll be givin magic staffs by your DM. Or you can just use the gold he gives you to buy the one you want.

Im a lvl 1 sorcerer

I wanna use staffs and ive been reading all this stuff on Implaments, im new to DnD 4.0 and wanna know how i go about getting Implaments, do i find them buy them train into them? I'm not sure and which ones i can use at lvl 1 if any and what all the feats are for implaments. I see staff fighting and arcane implament and implament expertise and weapon focus (staffs) and im unsure which ones will stack and what wont thank you.

The sorcerer is a striker, using spells. A staff is both a weapon and an implement. Since the sorcerer's spells are so much stronger than its melee attacks, it's the implement side you want to focus on.

The sorcerer starts out proficient with the staff as a weapon and uses the staff as an implement automatically. A staff costs 5 gp (a ridiculously high price) but you start with 100 gp, so buy one with your starting cash.

A staff gives a +2 proficiency bonus to attack rolls (when using it as a weapon, not an implement). This has no effect whatsoever on spells.

An implement is, for all intents and purposes, a magic weapon for a spellcaster. Once you get a magic staff and use it as an implement, it gives you bonuses to hit and damage when channeling spells through your staff. Magic staves also give you bonus damage when you score a crit and some have other special properties. You won't start with a magic implement, you'll just have a regular one, which gives no bonuses by itself. (The Staff Expertise feat will give you bonuses even without a magical staff.)

The sorcerer is in Player's Handbook II. Heroes of the Fallen Lands (the first Essentials book) holds the Staff Expertise feat, which gives +1 to hit with implement powers at heroic level, and does not provoke opportunity attacks for making ranged or area attacks. If your DM allows it, take this feat!

There is rarely a good reason for your sorcerer to take the Weapon Focus (staff) feat. It only gives you +1 damage to staff melee attacks. However, if you're a draconic sorcerer, you'll have a decent Strength score, so it won't be totally worthless. (I would still recommend using a close blast power if you get pressed into melee.)

You don't need any staff fighting feat.

When you mentioned "Arcane Implement", I wonder if you're thinking about the wizard. The PH1 wizard can choose the Staff of Defense ability to deflect attacks. This is something the sorcerer cannot do. The sorcerer has other defensive abilities instead.

Thank you for the reply! and when i mentioned Arcane Implament, I meant Arcane Implament Proficiency :p

I looked that up. It lets you use an implement that your class can't normally use (for instance, rods or orbs). There's thousands of such items out now, so there's probably some such item that's useful for you, but by itself the feat doesn't do much.

And also what about Duel Implament Spellcasting?

You can take the feat, but it's only useful if you get your hands on some specific items.

nightwyrm

First Post
any chance you could give an example of what kind of items and what it would actually do?

I assume you're asking about duel implement casting? It doesn't require any specific items really. It just allows you to add the damage bonus from a second implement you're wielding when normally you can add just one.

It works with any magical implement, you just have to be far enough along in the game to have two.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads