• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 New Classes Announced

MerrikCale

First Post
The goal is to pretty much say everything we have to say about not only the six new base classes, but all of the other variants (new spells, feats, prestige classes, etc.) for the core game as well in 2010's Advanced Player's Guide,... and that's it. We're planning on doing only 3 hardcover books a year, and after the Advanced Player's Guide the topics of those books will become more specialized. A psionics book is certainly possible, as is an epic book or an Asia-themed book or an outer-space themed book or whatever. There's little interest at Paizo in a relentless march of non-themed rules expansion books beyond 2010.

Asia? Outer space? Color me excited

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
The goal is to pretty much say everything we have to say about not only the six new base classes, but all of the other variants (new spells, feats, prestige classes, etc.) for the core game as well in 2010's Advanced Player's Guide,... and that's it. We're planning on doing only 3 hardcover books a year, and after the Advanced Player's Guide the topics of those books will become more specialized. A psionics book is certainly possible, as is an epic book or an Asia-themed book or an outer-space themed book or whatever. There's little interest at Paizo in a relentless march of non-themed rules expansion books beyond 2010.
That sounds reasonable. I look forward to what you have coming. I wondered if there would be a Pathfinder in space book.

I hope I'm not sounding too critical. I am a big fan of your products. I'm glad you and others from Paizo take an interest in what we all have to say. :)

Starsunder

Explorer

An epic book, and the outer-space book sounds awesome. Outer-space as in futuristic a la Star Wars? Or like Spelljammer (fantasy in space). I hope the latter.

Also, what are the chances we could get a nice, big hardback planes book?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
An epic book, and the outer-space book sounds awesome. Outer-space as in futuristic a la Star Wars? Or like Spelljammer (fantasy in space). I hope the latter.

Also, what are the chances we could get a nice, big hardback planes book?

When I think "outer space" it's going to probably feel a lot more like the stuff we're doing in Planet Stories. Very pulpy, pretty gritty. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks type stuff. Not so much Spelljammer.

As for a big hardcover book on the planes... would that be something a lot of folks are interested in? The tricky part there is that we're trying to avoid putting a lot of world or Golarion content into the hardcovers, and a big book about the planes pretty much HAS to assume that; a planar book's more of a campaign setting than a rulebook.

Starsunder

Explorer
When I think "outer space" it's going to probably feel a lot more like the stuff we're doing in Planet Stories. Very pulpy, pretty gritty. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks type stuff. Not so much Spelljammer.

As for a big hardcover book on the planes... would that be something a lot of folks are interested in? The tricky part there is that we're trying to avoid putting a lot of world or Golarion content into the hardcovers, and a big book about the planes pretty much HAS to assume that; a planar book's more of a campaign setting than a rulebook.

Well, clearly I can't speak for everyone, but Planar books have always been some of my favorite DnD books. And you have the perfect person to write it, or at least help *looks at Shemeska*.

I can understand trying to not include Golarion content into the hardcovers, so as to make them as setting neutral as possible, but personally, I thought that the 3e MotP did a pretty good job with that. It had some of the core assumptions in there (the gods and such), but overall I didnt think that it intruded too much in those terms. Something like that could work.

If all else fails, im willing to beg. I dont wanna, but damnit, I'd love to see a full fledged Planar book from you guys.

Perram

Explorer

I'll be honest, a Planar book is something I would rather see taken care of in the Chronicles line, and its a topic you already covered once. But that is as far as my interest in that topic goes.

What I'm looking for out of the hard covers are tools I can use for all my games. So far everything on the line up fits the bill, but a planar book just wouldn't really do it for me as it is of limited scope and wouldn't fit all my games.

pawsplay

Hero

I like 3e MotP as a model. It presented a general cosmology that agreed with the assumption of the ethereal and astral planes as suggested by the magic system and provided homes for the various outsiders and deities while not assuming too much. It also provided a number of ways of constructing a variant cosmology. If Golarion has a variant cosmology, the cosmology of Golarion might be a useful example if it's not covered by the campaign book. Even if a campaign is not set in Golarion it might use the same overall cosmology, with different deities substituted. That way, if you guys never publish a "Planescape," at least someone would be able to situate it and not have to come up with a bunch of planar rules stuff. In other words, think of the planar handbook as being smaller rather than larger.

Remove ads