2 new oozes from the BOZ-man

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
when i was converting all those oozes not too long ago, something occured to me. they're pretty much all acid-based, i don't see much variation there. so, it occured to me to make a couple of oozes that eat in a different way. so here, is the magma, a fire-ooze (i originally envisioned it as eating ash or carbonized organics but changed that just now), and an as-yet-unnamed ice-ooze (which i forgot how it was supposed to eat...)

please critique, as these are still very incomplete. :)

enojy! :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
MAGMA

Small Ooze (Fire)
Hit Dice: 3d10+8 (24 hp)
Initiative: -5 (Dex)
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 6 (+1 size, -5 Dex)
Attacks: Slam +3 melee
Damage: Slam 1d6 and 2d4 fire
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Fire, melt
Special Qualities: Blindsight, ooze, fire subtype
Saves: Fort +2, Ref -4, Will –4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 1, Con 12, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1

Climate/Terrain: Any warm land
Organization: Solitary or cluster (1-6)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Small); 7-9 HD (Medium-Size)

Magmas are red hot little pools of goo with a temperament as hot as their fiery nature. These things appear like small ovals of bright red color, about three feet in diameter. They glide around swiftly, going where they please because of their size, and looking for living prey to feed on.
The red “skin” of a magma is hot to the touch, causing fire damage from exposure. The creature is not usually aflame, but the heat it gives off sometimes causes the beast’s skin to be covered in fire. This semisolid “skin” protects the beast’s inner core, which is nothing more than intensely hot ooze. The magma is capable of digesting nearly anything, even metal and stone, so these creatures never leave treasure in their wake.

COMBAT
Magmas are as ravenous as any other ooze, and attack anything they come into contact with. They form flaming pseudopds from their inner mass to attack with. Victims that are easy targets are quickly melted down and eaten.
Melt (Ex): By flowing over prone or unconscious opponents, the magma can smother its victims and melt them down into a form it can digest. When it is digesting, it can take no other actions that round. The fire and heat from the ooze while it is feeding causes 4d6 heat damage per round to all beings and objects touching it.
Ooze: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. Not subject to critical hits.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
GLACIAL BLOB

Huge Ooze (Cold)
Hit Dice: 12d10+68 (134 hp)
Initiative: -5 (Dex)
Speed: 5 ft, swim 5 ft
AC: 3 (-2 size, -5 Dex)
Attacks: 2 slams +11 melee
Damage: Slam 2d6+4 and 2d6 cold
Face/Reach: 15 ft by 15 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Cold, engulf, freeze
Special Qualities: Blindsight, camouflage, ooze, cold subtype
Saves: Fort +8, Ref –1, Will –1
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 1, Con 18, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1

Climate/Terrain: Any cold land and aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 13-24 HD (Huge); 25-36 HD (Gargantuan)

Glacial blobs are enormous jellies that live in arctic climates. This creature appears as a translucent blue blob of icy sludge about 25-30 feet in diameter, looking something like crystallizing water just before it freezes. It is slow moving, just like most things of its size. This ooze is conjectured to be a relative of the gelatinous cube, although its shape does not lend itself to be known as an “ice cube.”
This blob is hard to the touch, as if it were made of ice, but this is just a deception. The creature is actually gelatinous, but semisolid enough to be rigid at times. This beast is at home in or out of the water.

COMBAT
When a creature comes within melee range, a glacial blob attacks the nearest targets with psuedopods. If a creature is foolish enough to stand right next to the ooze, it engulfs the hapless victim. The ooze will typically only hold frozen creatures for one round, depositing or ejecting them from its body and moving on to attack other targets.
Engulf (Ex): As a standard action, the glacial blob can simply mow down an opponent or Large size or smaller. It cannot make slam attacks during a round in which it engulfs. The ooze merely has to move over its opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the ooze, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt opportunity attacks must succeed at a Reflex save (DC 20) or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the ooze moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the ooze’s freeze attack, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body.
Freeze (Ex): The glacial blob has the ability to encase opponents that is has engulfed in ice, trapping them. In this state, the creature takes 4d4 points of cold damage per round, until death. On a successful Strength check (DC 20), the creature can break free of the ice. The ice will otherwise take 30 points of damage before shattering enough to free the trapped creature.
Camouflage (Ex): This ooze blends in well with snow, ice, and water. It takes a successful spot check (DC 15) to recognize a motionless blob for what it really is.
Ooze: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. Not subject to critical hits.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sweet!

The priest of Ghaundar I just threw at my party would have loved these guys.

As for the ice guy, how about "Chillatinous Cube". :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Krishnath said:
LOL! :rolleyes:

Boz: For the ice ooze, why not call it 'Liquid Ice' or 'Glacier Blob'?

thanks, those are both pretty cool names. :) i'll give it some thought.

anyone have any suggestions on powers/stats/etc?

Krishnath

First Post
for these? hmm..

Magma -
Attack Bonus: +3 (as cleric, +1 for size)
Saves: Fort +2, Ref -4, Will -4 (All bad= HD/3+modifier)
recommended CR: 4

Cold Ooze (name pending...) -
Attack Bonus: +11 (As cleric -2 for size, +4 str.)
Damage: +4 for str modifier.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref -1, Will -1 (All bad= HD/3+modifier)
Recommended CR: 12

I hope this is what you meant... :D

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Ya know, I was designing a magma/lava ooze for the pending CC book and Erica was kind enough to point out this thread...

So- Boz-Man, the magma ooze (and the chilly-willy ooze) may end up in the final print of the CC.

Remove ads