• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

+2 or +1 and Keen Rapier at 8th lvl?

Taloras

First Post
The only reason i could see a really good reason to get the Keen enchantment is if you get the bludgeoning equivalent in the Magic of Faerun book, and add it to a Mace of Disruption, which destroys undead on a critical. Otherswise, upgrading to +2 is always a good choice.

Hejdun

First Post
I personally prefer +'s to my weapons as opposed to special effects. I really hate worrying about whether or not my silly +1 Flaming weapon will be effective in the next encounter or not.

Oni

First Post
Falcon said:
Hey Experts,

My rapier-wielding ftr5/rog3 with a very high to hit (15) has the oportunity to have his ancestral rapier increased to either +2 or have Keen cast on it. We are at the level where we are facing creatures who have Damage Reduction. My one concern is facing DR2 creatures, as our mage is not high enough up to cast Magic Weapon yet. Otherwise, I'd go with Keen. Whaddya think?

I would say if your going for style take keen, cause critting is fun!

If you going practicality you probably want the +2. (unless your DM is planning on spring DR +3 on you a lot then your back to keen being the best choice)

If you don't have to pick between those two, than get sure striking, you might not deal as much damage per hit, but the enchantment is useful for the lifetime of the weapon.

(tangent!)Though my personal favorite for a rapier is wounding, why perhaps not the most effecient choice its cool. It fairly difficult to stop mid-combat and most monsters aren't running around with cleric (fast healing and regen can't stop it, only try to counteract it), It affects every creature (no special strictures like vorpal where the creature needs to be able to be critted on), and (at least as I understand it) if you manage to damage a creature with DR the wounding damage isn't subject to DR, oh and its culmulative. Now in most fights wounding will not be of great benefit because they will be over quickly, but in long drawn out fights, where you can use hit and run tactics its pretty useful. Besides wounding just seems right with a rapier, a little nick here, a little nick there....

Thanee

First Post
With Power Attack and your high attack bonus, keen becomes a lot nastier, especially if you get Improved Critical next level!

But I'd also go with the simple +2. DR sux! ;)

Bye
Thanee

Zhure

First Post
Definitely go either elemental or an extra +1 (I like +'s up to +3, then elemental).

Get a scabbard of keenness. Each use lasts 7 hours, three times per day. Which is almost a full day for a single warrior using a single weapon.

Greg

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
dead_radish said:
Otherwise, I'd say take Keen, and do +3.5 damage 45% of the time (actually a bit less, but still).

Let's look at that more closely.

Keen
hit 25% -> crit 11% (1.3 damage)
hit 50% -> crit 23% (2.6 damage)
hit 75% -> crit 34% (3.8 damage)

+1
hit 25% -> hit 30%, crit 9% (1.8 damage)
hit 50% -> hit 55%, crit 17% (3.2 damage)
hit 75% -> hit 80%, crit 24% (4.7 damage)

Obviously, these numbers will look better when you include Str - but consider DR and undead.

Marauder

First Post
How about Sure Strike?

You can find it in Sword and Fist or Magic of Faerun.

It essentially negates DR. That leavea another 8 points of bonuses to add keen/flaming/etc over the course of the campaign.

Of course, that leaves your weapon vulnerable to getting Sundered. Still, I haven't seen a DM do that yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads