• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 part inquirey, favorite class and why

Eman Resu

First Post
lets say your starting a 10th, 3.5, campaign and you have the choice of any class/race/prestige class-build combo, whats your favorite? Im interested in peoples favorite builds from a role playing stand point, effectiveness and good party contributer. Melee, spellslinger, multiclass, whatever floats your boat, so to speak, even gestault builds. Although interesting to read, Im not necessarly interested in seeing the most powerful build you can make, rather a good strong build thats your favorite. Something you enjoyed playing in the past or think you would enjoy playing in the future. Feel free to be as detialed on build aspects as you wish.

As for me I have had a few that were either very good at "filling in the parties gaps", contributing to the parties needs, or very strong at melee or spellcaster, sometimes good at both.

Human Monk / Psychic Warrior / Elocater w/ spiked chain, imp disarm, imp trip type guy. He knocked everybody down or disarmed them and basically was the party set up guy. The fighters and rogues loved me and we made a "great team" This was a fun pc to play, not the strongest, but fun to play.

Psion-keneticist / Wizard / Cerebramancer, I thought I was going to be the "spell platform". Yes I had a lot to cast, but I was the luckiest (with saves) under dog in the party. Sorlyns Disc (spelling?) was my friend! This was one of my favorite pc's because he always made the rolls when it counted, again not the strongest pc, but I had an answer to almost any problem to help the party, great pc!

In a evil campaign the DM randomly assigned a class and we could then build but the 1st 4 levels were pre determined. He had us roll on a chart from A to Z. I rolled multi class, exotic weapon & for class H and R. So I started 2nd Hexblade/2nd Ranger, with a 2 headed battle spear, never did that before, it was different. Then rolled religion as a back drop, so I was all over the place now. I progressed as I wanted from there, I went to Paladin (evil-Tyranny). What I created here was a saving throw machine! A beast of a tank, two wep fight with two headed heavy battle spear, good strong build, a little feat starved, but hey I made the best of what I rolled, and it forced me in directions I may have never done before. So I think this campaign wasw really fun because the players were almost all playing something out of there comfort zone. It worked out great, despite some of the ooohhing and aahhing in the begining.

As far as pc's I am interested in playing, the Arcanist. Has kind of a Indiana Jones vibe to it. Looks interesting and vs. a lot of the beasties will be a good party asset.

Herzog

Adventurer
I must say, the first thing that sprang into my mind was 'Bard'.

Not that I particularly like playing Bards, but because of a saying we have developed in our groups:
'You can never have enough Bard levels'.

Most outsiders who know anything about the Bard always cry out against this, starting off a rant how Bards are sub-par etc.

Of course, they miss the joke: 'You can never have enough Bard levels' is meant quite literally. No matter how many Bard levels you have, you're always just short of actually being able to do something usefull :)

That said: the second thing that sprang into my head was one of the characters I'm currently playing.

It's a DragonWrought Kobold (note: normal starting age, so no cheese there) with Dragon Wings.
Uses Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement options to gain spell-like ability 3x per day and bonus sorcerer spellcaster level at the cost of hp.
Uses Wizard Alternate Class Feature from Dragon Magazine called Eidetic Spellcaster to negate the use of a spellbook.

Classes: Wizard 5/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus 6
What makes him extra special is the future planning:
Sacred Exorcist 1/Silver Pyromancer.
This will add Turn Undead and Paladin spells to this (already versatile) little spellcaster.

I am SO looking forward to that....

Dandu

First Post
Most outsiders who know nothing about the Bard always cry out against this, starting off a rant how Bards are sub-par etc.
Fixed it for you :p

Of course, they miss the joke: 'You can never have enough Bard levels' is meant quite literally. No matter how many Bard levels you have, you're always just short of actually being able to do something usefull
Oddly enough, I've liked bards ever since the Lord of the Dance build. It used Perform: Dance in place of things like Concentration and Diplomacy so you were able to cast spells defensively and win over crowds by dancing. My own bards typically are optimized enough that finding useful things to do is not a problem.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
lets say your starting a 10th, 3.5, campaign and you have the choice of any class/race/prestige class-build combo, whats your favorite?
Rogue 10. Probably human. :)

As far as matching mechanics to idea goes, it's not half bad.

Also plays well, plays well with others, and isn't obscenely over- or underpowered (IMO). Fun, basically.

Oh, and it's a PrC-free zone here. :rant:

Veven1290

First Post
I love the Beguiler. I have a soft spots for rogues (well skill-monkeys in general) and i love political/social role-playing. My rogues are usually charismatic and less stabbity but sometimes i just yearn for some spells to cast. Beguiler has a really fun spell list, an amazing skill list, and access to the Glibness spell, which is all sorts of fun.

I also like the archivist a lot, the whole accessing all divine spells thing is a little iffy but dark knowledge is great and i love the fluff. I am playing a raptoran archivist right now and he is so much fun. Our half mino barbarian has taken to calling him, "Nerdy-bird".

Janaxstrus

First Post
My favorite class I've ever played would be (at 10th):

Illumian
Rogue 1\Wizard 6\Lore Delver 3

With the Krau and Naen Sigils, Able Learner and other feats to taste. I was able to be both the wizard (full CL, 1 spell level behind) and the rogue.

He was a lot of fun to play

Doctor DM

First Post
Scout with maybe a level or 2 of Fighter. They have the skills of a Rogue, are a little more durable, and Skirmish damage is insanely easy to get off with Spring Atk. Make sure to get Improved skirmish too. Plus they have a lot of other fun abilities and are super mobile.

lamia

First Post
I've played a boatload of clerics since I'm a rather easygoing gal who will just wait til I find out what everyone else has their heart set on and fill in where needed. A lot of the people I've gamed with were quite keen on the stabby/punchy/shoot it with arrows classes, so a cleric was often in order.

My favorite so far is my current character. She's a halfling cleric of Dallah Thaun with the knowledge and trickery domains and a level of rogue.

Roleplaying her is fantastic since I enjoy halflings (the shoeless ones of course) and she doesn't have to be a goody-goody all the time having a goddess who's not opposed to shady dealings.

The trickery domain is just wonderful, too. It gives you access to bluff, which is my favorite skill. And disguise self, which always leads to creative non-combat solutions.

DumbPaladin

First Post
So far, the most fun I've had playing a character has been the three months I played a Factotum while my primary character was abducted & held hostage by the BBEG. Factotums can pretty much do a little bit of everything ... and having access to every single skill was pretty awesome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads