D&D 5E 2 PC Wizards Copying Each others spell books

neogod22

Explorer
My answer: it's a trap, back slowly away.

If I'm a Wizard I should be sufficiently intelligent to reason Wizards dump Charisma. Thus the "cute" boy or girl ain't no Wizard!

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app
It's a time wedlock looking for rituals. Lol

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Just as a comment:

Even if you never find a spellbook the Wizard class is still balanced since you do get to learn 2 spells automatically.

Of course to reach your maximum potential you want lots more spells.

But if you can't accept having 2 X level spells, you'd better play another class - plenty of official adventures contain few or no spellbooks for you to loot.

Many monsters with wizard-like abilities aren't equipped with lootable spellbooks.

That's not an error - it's an expression of how the Wizard class design no longer is dependent on adventure authors remembering to include lootable spellbooks.

Tldr don't feel entitled to finding spellbooks as a Wizard. Treat them as a treasure, not a requirement.

Okay, so you can use the same logic for magic weapons, magic armor, and just about any other item a player may look for in hopes of improving their character.

To me the only real problem with copying each others spellbooks is the "other stuff".

A spellbook is much more than a magical version of your mom's favorite Betty Crocker cookbook. It is their list of spells yes, buts its also research journal, note pad, and personal diary. Let someone else copy spells without close supervision and you are giving them a complete all the warts included tour of your mind, goal, and souls.

Ever mentioned to your DM that your LN wizard is would love to become a Lich? Then you can be sure there are the occasional notes in you spellbook as you have considered the process and what it may take to accomplish. Let your buddy wizard borrow your book to copy spells and with enough perusing he will come across mention of your desire for undead power.

So no, there is no game mechanic reason why it cannot happen, but there is a some role play trust reasons why someone may hesitate.

CapnZapp

Legend
Okay, so you can use the same logic for magic weapons, magic armor, and just about any other item a player may look for in hopes of improving their character.
Not sure what your point is.

Mine is that there is a great difference between magic weapons and spellbooks.

I have yet to see a single adventure where the author has "forgotten" to place magic weapons to loot, but in 5e it is not at all uncommon to find zero spellbooks.

neogod22

Explorer
To me the only real problem with copying each others spellbooks is the "other stuff".

A spellbook is much more than a magical version of your mom's favorite Betty Crocker cookbook. It is their list of spells yes, buts its also research journal, note pad, and personal diary. Let someone else copy spells without close supervision and you are giving them a complete all the warts included tour of your mind, goal, and souls.

Ever mentioned to your DM that your LN wizard is would love to become a Lich? Then you can be sure there are the occasional notes in you spellbook as you have considered the process and what it may take to accomplish. Let your buddy wizard borrow your book to copy spells and with enough perusing he will come across mention of your desire for undead power.

So no, there is no game mechanic reason why it cannot happen, but there is a some role play trust reasons why someone may hesitate.
Why would a wizard write that stuff in his spell book? They are typically nonmagical and have a limited amount of pages. You should keep a separate journal for that kind of stuff.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nevvur

Explorer
Not sure what your point is.

Mine is that there is a great difference between magic weapons and spellbooks.

I have yet to see a single adventure where the author has "forgotten" to place magic weapons to loot, but in 5e it is not at all uncommon to find zero spellbooks.

I recall numerous NPC spellbooks acquired by PCs while running AL Expeditions seasons 1-3.

Remove ads