• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 quick questions on spells

nak9788

First Post
1) When looking at a spell with an area effect, such as a fireball, it is generally assumed this works in 3-dimensions? That is, a fireball with a 30 ft radius, also extend 30 upward? Of course, this raises several complexities, since if you treat the fireball as a sphere, it would extend 30 ft upward at its central point, but it would not have a 30 ft radius effect at this level.

I know some spells deal with this in their descriptions (like Flame Strike), this is for spells that don't explicity deal with height. What is the generally accept height for such spells. I am thinking 10ft.

What would you guys do?

2) This is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to make sure: When looking a spell description regarding damage, when it says it deals 1d6 +1/level (for example), is only the "+1" increased or all of it? For example, a 2nd level spellcaster would deal 1d6 +2 or 2d6 +2. I am assuming he would deal 1d6 +2, but I just wanted to clarify.

Last edited:

Quidam

First Post
nak9788 said:
2) This is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to make sure: When looking a spell description regarding damage, when it says it deals 1d6 +1/level (for example), is only the "+1" increased or all of it? For example, a 2nd level spellcaster would deal 1d6 +2 or 2d6 +2. I am assuming he would deal 1d6 +2, but I just wanted to clarify.

You got it right- it's: 1d6 + (1/level).

Not so sure about the Fireball question. I guess I'd use the same spatial mapping they give us for the floor dimension as I would for the vertical dimension.

nak9788 said:
1) When looking at a spell with an area effect, such as a fireball, it is generally assumed this works in 3-dimensions? That is, a fireball with a 30 ft radius, also extend 30 upward? Of course, this raises several complexities, since if you treat the fireball as a sphere, it would extend 30 ft upward at its central point, but it would not have a 30 ft radius effect at this level.

It's a 20' radius sphere. To determine who and what it affects, just turn the diagram sideways in your head.

So, if a normal fireball looks like:

----------
----XX----
---XXXX---
--XXXXXX--
-XXXXXXXX-
-XXXXXXXX-
--XXXXXX--
---XXXX---
----XX----

Then it also looks like that when viewed from any particular angle.

1d6+2.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
For question 1 the 3rd dimension does not really add any complexity during most games. Most of the time you have medium size creatures standing on the ground. Unless otherwise specified, I assume a 3D area effect spell takes effect at arm hight of the caster, about 4 to 5 feet above the floor. At that height, everyone within 30 feet of the center will be affected. Technically snakes or other small crawling creatures along the outer four to five feet of the spell would be outside the area of effect due to the inward curvature of the spell, but there is usually no need to get that complicated.

It can be more complicated when used against flying creatures, but it still is not bad. If the creature is 5 feet above/below the center, the radius is 5 feet less. At 10 feet above or below, the radius is 10 feet less and so on.

Amal Shukup

First Post
nak9788 said:

I treat Fireball as a Sphere. Fireball is defined as a 'Spread'. Let me check...

SRD said:
The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped...
...A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners.

Yup, defensible...

Spreads are centred on a 'Grid Intersection' (between squares). By default I imagine the caster selects a Grid Intersection 5' above the ground (picture the grid of squares as cubes and extend them along the vertical axis as well). This would produce a Sphere extending 20' in all directions - including downwards into the floor. (which gets you your full 20' radius effect at 'head level')

There are ramifications:

1. If the floor and or ceiling are relatively fragile, the Fireball could destroy them.
SRD said:
If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the fireball may continue beyond the barrier if the area permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

2. If the caster wanted to affect a smaller area (to avoid toasting allies, say) he could target a Grid Intersection higher in the air so a smaller cross section of the Sphere intersected at 'head height'. Mmmmnn Conical sections...

nak9788 said:
2) when it says it deals 1d6 +1/level (for example), is only the "+1" increased or all of it? For example, a 2nd level spellcaster would deal 1d6 +2 or 2d6 +2. I am assuming he would deal 1d6 +2, but I just wanted to clarify.

Just the +1 is increased in this case - but there are variants: For instance, Magic Missile adds additional missiles (each doing 1d4+1) on a level basis.

A'Mal

irdeggman

First Post
nak9788 said:

You have to read the description. What you have written "1d6 +1/level" means that it is 1d6 with a +1 added per level so at third level it would be 1d6 +3, at fourth it would be 1d6 +4 and so one.

Examples of different descriptions include the magic missile:

"A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.
For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional missile—two at 3rd level, three at 5th, four at 7th, and the maximum of five missiles at 9th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage."

The fireball:

A fireball spell is an explosion of flame that detonates with a low roar and deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage. The explosion creates almost no pressure

And Cure Light Wounds:

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).

So it depends on how the spell is written up. I haven't seen any that read 1d6 +1/level. I have seen 1d6/level (see fireball) or 1d8 +1 point per caster level (cure light wounds). The text is important.

Remove ads